Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 4:30 pm

Eyes everywhere are jealous.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 1:08 pm

I'm a Whovian! :D My favorite doctor is Eleven, but it is so difficult for me to choose. My favorite companions are Clara, Rose, Donna, The Romanas, Sarah Jane, Ace, and K-9 :)

I love the new sonic. I need to get a replica, I have Ten and Eleven's.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 5:07 pm

Yes, Eleven is in my top four favourite Doctor list! The Romanas and Sarah Jane are awesome! K9 is cute! I've got a flashlight version of the Tenth Doctor's sonic, and I pretend that my sunglasses are the Twelfth Doctor's sunglasses!

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Phemto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Sep 2015, 6:03 pm

I grew up with Dr. Who. For the longest time, we could only get it for an hour every Saturday morning. I was SO upset when something meant I would miss it. My first intro was Tom Baker. He was irascible, and funny, and didn't seem to care if the people around him really understood what he was saying or not, yet they still kept listening to him. Hmmm. Maybe I'm seeing why a young, diagnosed aspie would like that. I think Peter Capaldi is a clear return to that kind of style.

For most whovians my age, Tom Baker was their intro, and is often their favorite, but then Sylvester McCoy came along. Such talent combined with writing that decided not to take itself too seriously again.

I really wanted to like Peter Davidson. I'd loved him in All Creatures Great and Small, and Campion. Alas, the writing during his tenure was all drama. He was the first doctor to lose a companion, an not a single one of his companions was happy to be on the tardis. They were either stuck or orphaned and had nowhere else to go.

Then came the reboot. It's been amazing. I feel like sometimes it get's unnecessarily dark.

(spoiler alert!!)

For instance I felt that the long drawn out death of Osgood was gratuitous and unnecessary. Besides, she was one of my favorite background characters. I hear she's due for a come back somehow, so maybe I'll forgive them.

Of the new ones. It's getting harder and harder to pick a favorite. I hate to see every one leave, and then I think the new one is amazing.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 7:27 pm

My mum often says that Tom Baker is 'her Doctor'. Since I'm basically growing up with Ten, Eleven, and Twelve, I guess they are 'my Doctors'. Oh, yeah, there's some awesome stuff happening in the next Christmas episode! [Spoilers, sweetie! 8) ]

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 7:41 pm

Tom Baker was my dad's Doctor and I grew up watching him a lot. I know we are only two episodes in at the moment, but this season has been fantastic so far. I'm personally hoping for a return of Vastra, Jenny, and Strax in series nine. Those three always crack me up..."For the glory of the Sontaran empire!" :D

Phemto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2015, 4:46 am

TheSilentOne wrote:
Tom Baker was my dad's Doctor and I grew up watching him a lot. I know we are only two episodes in at the moment, but this season has been fantastic so far. I'm personally hoping for a return of Vastra, Jenny, and Strax in series nine. Those three always crack me up..."For the glory of the Sontaran empire!" :D

I absolutely love those three. If I had to guess, the producers thought they could create a set of characters able to stand up for a spin off series, but it never materialized. Too bad.

Dan Starkey does an amazing job with Strax. I've seen videos of him doing off the cuff Q&A's in full costume with kids.

Hands up if you'd watch a spin-off.

Phemto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2015, 4:57 am

TheSilentOne wrote:

I sometimes wonder how you kids view the old doctors. They were done on a shoe-string budget in the pre-CGI era, so their visually very different shows. For me, that's not really a detractor, it's just something different. The cheesy cardboard sets and rubber alien masks give a surreal, almost dreamlike quality to it.

In some cases, the writing was exceptional. There was a series with John Pertwee that had as much intrigue in it as any "serious" play. A young, newly crowned queen tries to establish her power, while being manipulated and overruled by the religious leader, the chancellor, and a defacto leader of peasants, who are all struggling with each other for power as well. Oh, and there's a cheesy, mythical monster wandering the mines as well.

There was usually a good message in the early ones. Often the bad guy was bad because he was stuck in a damaging ideology. In some cases he even comes around in the end and redeems himself. I found that so much more interesting than the "I'm bad because I like being the bad guy" bad guys. Nobody's actually like that.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 9:18 am

Ah, well, some day in the future kids will be laughing at how phony the revived series looks!

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 3:29 pm

Phemto wrote:
TheSilentOne wrote:

I sometimes wonder how you kids view the old doctors. They were done on a shoe-string budget in the pre-CGI era, so their visually very different shows. For me, that's not really a detractor, it's just something different. The cheesy cardboard sets and rubber alien masks give a surreal, almost dreamlike quality to it.

In some cases, the writing was exceptional. There was a series with John Pertwee that had as much intrigue in it as any "serious" play. A young, newly crowned queen tries to establish her power, while being manipulated and overruled by the religious leader, the chancellor, and a defacto leader of peasants, who are all struggling with each other for power as well. Oh, and there's a cheesy, mythical monster wandering the mines as well.

There was usually a good message in the early ones. Often the bad guy was bad because he was stuck in a damaging ideology. In some cases he even comes around in the end and redeems himself. I found that so much more interesting than the "I'm bad because I like being the bad guy" bad guys. Nobody's actually like that.

I love the classic series personally. The special effects are very different than they are now, but that is part of why I enjoy it. I'm the same way with the original series of Star Trek. I watched a lot of the Fourth, Fifth, and Seventh Doctors as a kid. As I've gotten older (and with the help of Netflix), I have been able to see some of all of the Doctors.

I would definitely watch a spinoff with the Paternoster Gang. I've seen (and loved) all of the ones to date, K9 and Company, Torchwood, The Sarah Jane Adventures, and K9 :D

Phemto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Oct 2015, 9:01 am

I can't wait to show the Sarah Jane Adventures to my son. I think they make a nice introduction to the universe.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 9:13 am

Tomorrow is the new episode! Yowza! :heart: :heart:
Ooh, yeah, what do you guys think about the mysterious prophecy? Could it really be what the Doctor has been running from all this time? Also, what about Missy mentioning a daughter?!

LogicallyDreaming
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Oct 2015, 9:19 am

Yes! ME! HI! *waves*
(I'll be more verbose regarding MY doctor and fave companions. the EDS arthritis has my hand so stiff >.<)

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 9:41 am

Hi there, Logicallydreaming! [Great username!] Ow, arthritis! I hope you feel better!
Oh, yeah, here's a random insane theory: could the Doctor be the source of the prophecy? As in, half Time Lord half Dalek?! Or am I thinking about this way too much? :nerdy:

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 10:38 am

Kuraudo777 wrote:
Hi there, Logicallydreaming! [Great username!] Ow, arthritis! I hope you feel better!
Oh, yeah, here's a random insane theory: could the Doctor be the source of the prophecy? As in, half Time Lord half Dalek?! Or am I thinking about this way too much? :nerdy:

Yes, feel better :heart: I was actually wondering the same thing. I can't wait for the new episode :D

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 4:23 pm

Does anyone have any crazy last minute theories to share before tomorrow?