Streaming Only (Netflix Hulu Roku) 23%  23%  [ 8 ]
C-Band (The big ugly dish) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other (Please specify) 23%  23%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 35

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 9:43 pm

Hey Gang, being that there's a growing trend to "cut the cord" and many are going towards streaming and OTA I want to see which group is best represented and how you watch TV.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 10:35 pm

Other. I buy the DVDs or Blu-rays.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 11:15 pm

We have cable through Comcast. Currently, we're happy with "all those ugly wires," and are in no time soon going to cut any of it. We get more than enough programming that we like, plus internet and the phone are bundled at a discount price along with the cable.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 9:50 am

I have Directv, which I :heart:

ATT bought Directv, so I am pessimistic about continued quality.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 1:06 pm

I could not answer the question because it is a bit of this and a bit of that.

Cable
Over the air hooked up to a device that lets me stream to up to two computers.
Streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Yahoo.
Plus DVD and Blu-Ray

I record a fair amount from cable and a little ota using MediaCenter so I can watch it later.

I use to occasionally download episodes through Bit-Torrent, but after contracting a virus, I have abstained from using it. That is how I first watched seasons 1-4 of House MD, Joan of Arcadia, and Dexter.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 5:00 pm

pcgoblin that's what the other option is for.

As for me I have a monitor that allows me to watch two different feeds at one time which most of the times I do. Tho I will say I like OTA because it's not compressed and unlike the NTSC/analog signal with ATSC/Digital the signal doesn't degrade so it's always going to be what the station sends out but I really like what I am able to pick up from local outlets and there's more content now over the air then there was a few years ago thanks in part to digital multicast networks such as METV Antenna TV Laff Buzzr Movies! etc When I'm not watching anything OTA I watch the feeds from cable from time to time mostly for Simpsons Marathons on Fxx or South Park stuff. and I have netflix as a back up in case there's nothing of interest...and last but lot least I've also got DVD's and Blu Ray's so I guess I'm in the other column as well.

ritamaner
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jul 2015, 4:43 am

Steaming forever:) I don't even have the tv set at home

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 4:50 am

I watch TV shows through streaming. Occasionally, I watch a movie on DVD, but mostly through streaming. We use netflix, but we are planning to get a Roku box.

I read the news online.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

30 Jul 2015, 4:55 am

All streaming services here, more than enough to keep me busy.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 10:50 am

I voted Satellite because right now I have a satellite. In a month I will be Streaming. I get my Roku in a week and a half. I am so excited!!

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2015, 1:38 pm

I chose the OTA option in the poll because my house still has the rooftop aerial on it which I use to watch local content with. I use Roku for streaming out of area stations via ChannelPear, FilmOn and other services. I get to see channels from around the world which cable can't carry. Of course I have to pay the cable company for high speed internet, but it's still cheaper than purchasing TV service through them.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 125 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 93 of 200

RAADS:
Total score-161.0 Language-18.0 Social relatedness-69.0 Sensory/motor-39.0

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 1:45 pm

Have any of you used any of the other streaming devices that compete with Roku? We have not bought our Roku yet, so I'd like some feedback on these devices if you have any. Thanks!

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2015, 1:58 pm

I've tried a Google stick, but those are only useful with wireless streaming sources like my laptop. I get better streaming off something like Roku that can be hardwired into my cable router. I also got a chance to try out a NeoTV streaming box that was on cheap closeout and I soon learned why, as it was pretty much designed for on-demand content only and no viewing of live channels, especially those that can replace what's available on cable/satellite. Highly disappointed in Neo.

RAADS:

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 2:23 pm

Rockymtnchris wrote:
I've tried a Google stick, but those are only useful with wireless streaming sources like my laptop. I get better streaming off something like Roku that can be hardwired into my cable router. I also got a chance to try out a NeoTV streaming box that was on cheap closeout and I soon learned why, as it was pretty much designed for on-demand content only and no viewing of live channels, especially those that can replace what's available on cable/satellite. Highly disappointed in Neo.

My dad has a Roku that I got him, but his house is set up differently than mine, and his TV and router are in the same room. Mine are not. Is that going to be a problem using a Roku?

Thanks for your input!

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2015, 3:22 pm

Just make sure the Roku device is wireless/wifi capable. Roku 3 should be for sure.

RAADS:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

30 Jul 2015, 7:20 pm

My parents have Roku, it is pretty cool. I just stream stuff using my crappy old 360 and PS3, neither are capable of reading discs anymore. Either that or my computer.