Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 6:23 pm

I just don't get any enjoyment out of watching every character get picked off one by one, by some crazy monster/freak thing or just some creepy person. Like what was the point of saw? I watched those no idea why...but yeah it was just a bunch of gore, no real plot.

I like Stephen King horror, granted some of the movies don't do the books justice....but seems like his work also leans a bit more towards psychological thrillers, but whilst still having the best aspects of horror. IDK sort of hard to describe what I mean...I guess Stephen King horror is more like a well written story with depth, rather than just another copy of the same template so many other horror movies use. Does anyone else feel similarly or get what I mean?

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 1:32 am

I get what you mean but I don't really agree. I enjoy both. My favorite horror author is Brian Lumley.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 2:12 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I just don't get any enjoyment out of watching every character get picked off one by one, by some crazy monster/freak thing or just some creepy person. Like what was the point of saw? I watched those no idea why...but yeah it was just a bunch of gore, no real plot.

I like Stephen King horror, granted some of the movies don't do the books justice....but seems like his work also leans a bit more towards psychological thrillers, but whilst still having the best aspects of horror. IDK sort of hard to describe what I mean...I guess Stephen King horror is more like a well written story with depth, rather than just another copy of the same template so many other horror movies use. Does anyone else feel similarly or get what I mean?

Many people are attracted to horror movies because they like feeling scared in a safe environment. I suppose part of what appeals to them about the "pointless violence" horror movies is that, it is, indeed, pointless, and thus outside of the realm of the person's control. Consider the character Jason Vorehees in "Friday the 13th". He was undead, and as slow as he moved, unstoppable. He was the embodiment of doom itself. The other characters could run but they couldn't escape. Quite terrifying.

Freddy Kruger terrorized his victims in their dreams...another scenario in which there is a loss of control, as one typically can't avoid sleeping, and thus dreaming.

But these movies tap into something deeper. The human desire to know how to escape seemingly impossible situations.

This brings us to "Saw". If I recall (my roommate watched the series), the victims in Saw were merely just picked off one by one, but were tasked with solving puzzles to escape death, and all of the puzzles invented by the main character were solvable. Later in the series, when the main character had adopted an apprentice to carry on his work, a showdown took place between the two because the apprentice began designing puzzles that weren't solvable. At least as far as I understand from bits and pieces I picked up from the next room, and explanations from my roommate.

Why do some people prefer horror movies with more of a plot and some people prefer slasher flicks? Probably for the same reason some people prefer fine wine and some people prefer vodka.

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2018, 9:55 am

Some tamer, non-gory horror with stories:

Amityville Horror (the original)
Coraline
The Gate
The Others
Poltergeist

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 6:23 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

I dislike the genre because in our litigation happy culture writers and directors are to afraid to give you anything genuinely frightening, so it becomes all to predictable hack and slash formula filming.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 6:28 pm

Prefer sleaze and exploitation rather than horror.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 12:56 am

I can watch some Horror films, I enjoyed Stephen king's IT and went to see it 2 times in the cinema.
I wouldn't watch Saw although I did like the trailer.
I guess the ones that are not realistic are okay, but I couldn't watch anything that is far too gory and graphic.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 2:35 am

To be sure, there are plenty of stinkers passing as horror films - in fact, far too many. Unfortunately, some movie adaptations of Stephen King's books and stories belong in the stinker category - Maximum Overdrive (based on Trucks), and Silver Bullet (based on Cycle Of The Werewolf) to name a couple. But there are also some pretty decent ones, too.
Some first rate horror movies include:

Re-Animator

The Shining
The Hitcher
Cthulhu
Dagon
From Beyond
Bubba-Hotep
Angel Heart
Berberian Sound Studio
The Black Cat
The Thing
Highwaymen
Thinner
The Dark Half

There are plenty of other great horror flicks, as well.

Andrewdarr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2018, 5:08 am

It's for the adrenaline rush... also a masochistic thrill or rites of passage. Kids daring each other to watch The Human Centipede and so on. In that way you could see it as a social bonding activity, sitting together in groups in the cinema and screaming together and laughing at each other for being p*****s, etc. Fun, yay.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 5:52 am

Sweetleaf wrote:

Right on,and...

right on.

I don't get splatter movies, and teenagers getting killed off one by one movies either. Take away the gore, and theyre just boring and plotless. And even if I liked gore and wanted to consume it I would just read "All Quiet on the Western Front", or read unexpurgated forensic reports about the victims of Jack Ripper, or about the Holocaust. There is enough gore in real life. Why consume fantasy about it?

But I do like Stephen King movies. There is a certain art to what he does.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 2:19 pm

I’ve never been a fan of horror movies, but I do watch a lot of disaster movies. Some of them are very gory.

Earthquake had a scene where people were crushed by a runaway elevator car, and it showed blood splattering over the whole screen. It was more like Itchy and Scratchy than a 70s disaster movie. But it still wasn’t as disturbing as the subplot between Marjoe Gortner and Victoria Principal.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2018, 1:44 pm

I was REALLY into the Jason style slasher films when I was younger. My mother even had a talk with me about it. I think she was seriously concerned I would act them out. I also live near 2 schools that have had mass shootings and had family at one of them. Then I actuly experiences some real death and got a little older. The whole thing showed me wow those things really happen and death is real. I feel bad and think those people had a family even though they are characters. I can not stand them now. They are the opposite of who I am as a person. If you like them you do you.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 7:17 pm

Born in 1959, I lived through the airing of horror movies featuring horror host. The universal horror movies from the '30s and '40s were my definition of great horror movies. What parent would allow a 4 to 6 year old child watch horror movies on television with the refrain "they will give you nightmares." Sometimes mine. There were a few throughout the sixties that gave me night terrors.

Some of my favorite Universal films are later B-Movies. House of Frankenstein, House of Dracula, Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman. Ghost of Frankenstein. When I first saw John Carradine Dracula, I thought "that's not right." His top hat bothered me. When I eventually grew up, I accepted him.

Val Lewton and his director Jacques Tourneur were genious with film and light, and sound. They are sited as being the ones the popularized the quiet and SUDDEN loud noise. It is often a cheap predicable effect these days accomplished by music. Val and Jacques used a bus breaking.