Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 11:07 am

This is an excellent eloquent critique of WHY Autistic people often take issue with the patronizing 2D portrayals of autism on TV
https://chavisory.wordpress.com/2017/10 ... e-history/

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 11:45 am

It’s a good article.

It’s true we need to show the subtleness of autism for people to get we have it in the first place. It needs to be shown to everyone how we form a mask and how we still get basic social skills wrong (well I do). Because you usually appear normal, when you get something basic wrong it appears to people that you’re either purposely being very rude, or acting dumb about it so we get away with things. TV stereotypes don’t tend to help with showing subtleness and the mask.

Problem is, how do you draw the line then between other people who really are acting up, and real autistics who happen to have a very good mask? I can imagine people somehow using their real rudeness as an excuse.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 6:50 pm

smudge wrote:
It’s a good article.

It’s true we need to show the subtleness of autism for people to get we have it in the first place. It needs to be shown to everyone how we form a mask and how we still get basic social skills wrong (well I do). Because you usually appear normal, when you get something basic wrong it appears to people that you’re either purposely being very rude, or acting dumb about it so we get away with things. TV stereotypes don’t tend to help with showing subtleness and the mask.

Problem is, how do you draw the line then between other people who really are acting up, and real autistics who happen to have a very good mask? I can imagine people somehow using their real rudeness as an excuse.

Yes you are right
When I told my Ex H who had been extremely cruel (purposely as he later told me) about Asperger’s he said ‘oh yes I have it too I guess’

Here is an article about it (Narcs using Aspergers as their new excuse. It’s conceivable that it may overlap but it is not the cause of the abusive behaviour)

https://honey.nine.com.au/2017/11/27/21 ... ent-claims