Does anyone think the new Mulan movie looks terrible?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 8:11 pm

It's just the appeal of the 90s movie was that she had to dress up as a man to fool everyone, and in every shot of the trailers and clips, she is a woman the whole time, so the entire premise is thrown out the window.

That would be like remaking Tootsie, and having it so the actor didn't have to dress as a woman to fool everyone, and he got a male part, and everyone knew he was a man. The whole premise and appeal is lost. Unless I am wrong?

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 8:13 pm

I don't like any of the live action remakes of Disney classics.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2020, 1:41 am

I heard that they cut the character Li Shang because it has been easy to read into him as bisexual, and the Chinese government would not approve of such a character. If they have cut out Mulan at all presenting as a man, then you can likely thank Chinese approved censorship of LGBT themes.

Even if these sorts of things never crossed your mind or intended, a lot of people in the LGBT community have had an affinity with the animated movie, which would be gutted from the live action movie made to cater to the Chinese government.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2020, 2:55 am

So it's Disneys Mulan, but live-action and minus the entire plot? My hype is overflowing... :roll:

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2020, 3:08 am

From the trailer, it looks like it was made for a Chinese audience.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2020, 4:29 am

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2020, 4:36 pm

Also read up on the horrible comments of the lead actor.

hariboci
Raven
Raven

06 Sep 2020, 2:00 am

I've seen it yesterday and so much wanna write a lengthy review, but as most of you didn't watch it yet and spoiler is never good, just answering your question about dressing up as a man:
in the trailer indeed she is only shown when she is a woman. But she will act as a man for a pretty long time when she joins the army until she reveals herself. And actually this part (being a shy and virgin girl among so many men and struggling with daily routines like dressing and having a bath) is portrayed better than in the cartoon.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 2:16 pm

Oh okay, well that's good, as long as they keep a similar concept, and don't change the premise like that.

thewrll wrote:
Also read up on the horrible comments of the lead actor.

I can't find her actual comments. When I google it, all she said is that she supports police brutality in Hong Kong. But did she actually say "I support police brutality" in those words? Because all I could find is people paraphrasing what she said. Is there any record of what she actually said without being paraphrasing and hearsay?