Are people being double-standard-ish on the movie Cuties?

Page 3 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 9:16 pm

Oh okay but as far as hiring adults, can adults pass for 11? I haven't seen it done for that young in a movie before.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 9:23 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay but as far as hiring adults, can adults pass for 11? I haven't seen it done for that young in a movie before.

Who cares?

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 9:24 pm

beneficii wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
beneficii wrote:
How do you know the conservative reaction to this movie is simply them not wanting women and girls to have more agency in their lives? They never seem to say that is their reason.

They call it promiscuity or being vulgar, but they are things that are mostly leveraged at women. Men having a lot of partners are seen as winners, while women are seen as loose and bad.

There are indeed other reasons, like the whole children thing. I just think that there is a particular pattern that conservatives get super uncomfortable from those of the female persuasion using sexuality, over males that might do similar.

This isn't really a conservative vs. liberal thing, at least here in the US. And I know here in the US, a lot of politicians have come out against the film, including some Democrats like Tulsi Gabbard. I don't know of any politicians defending it. Things may be different in your neck of the woods.

Name one who matters, and bringing up Tulsi, that doesn't work. Tulsi is a russian plant.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 9:25 pm

KT67 wrote:
Sorry but I'm left wing and libertarian on social issues and no. It's not an ok movie from the clips I've seen.

I've only seen one article which made this a political thing. And one youtube video defending it - but that was by a creepy self described 'MAP' who said he was 'into' it (so for anyone moral, that should be a reason not to like it).

If people go to a dance show where kids have been directed to dance like that then they condemn the movie, they're hypocrites.

If they go to an all ages party where pre-teens & teenagers are dancing like that, I don't think they're necessarily hypocrites. Assuming they don't stare at it, 'enjoy' it etc but just leave the youngsters to their fun. Cos that's about choice, about not being directed by adults, the teens doing it for themselves or other kids etc. When people act shocked at that, I wonder if they remember being teenagers?

Big Fat Gypsy Wedding had kids doing similar dancing and was made out like it was a racial thing, this proves it isn't. It's not just Traveller teenagers who do it, it's all teenagers (& little kids who are exposed to popstar dancing will probably innocently do it like the Traveller children under about 10 who did it on that show.)

I really don't get why they can't just hire adult actresses. Same scenes. There are adults out there who look younger & who could cope psychologically with what's involved or weirdos being 'into' it.

I also don't see what's wrong with kids sticking to line dancing or ballet etc rather than those kinds of dances on stage. Adults who want to watch kids do sexy dances are weirdos.

Yes, right wingers can be awful snowflakes. But this isn't one of those times. This isn't Sam Smith going by 'they/them' pronouns. This is a moral issue rather than a political one.

I also think telling an 11 yo 'I was married at your age' is overly sexualising them. No kid should be married at 11 and it shouldn't be normalised that some of them, in some parts of the world, are married off so young. A ring on the finger doesn't make impregnating an 11 yo alright.

Actually watch the movie instead of one clip, or else nope I don't take your word.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 1:33 am

KT67 wrote:
Sorry but I'm left wing and libertarian on social issues and no. It's not an ok movie from the clips I've seen.

I have not seen the movie, so again I can't say what, but I can find articles that review the movie and say that it is not worth the controversy.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/cuties-movie-review-2020

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/sep/14/cuties-review-netflixs-controversial-child-exploitation-film-is-bold-flawed-and-misunderstood

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/reviews/cuties/

You can even look at the Rotten Tomatoes page, which has a big difference between critics and audience, with the critics being high and a number of submitted, while there are currently no audience reviews despite so many ratings, which makes me think that the majority are rating it without having actually watched it.

All of these are hardly all creepy MAP. It really looks like people are taking part in cancel culture to censor it while they have little info outside of outside clips and superimposing that it is using sexuality of 11 year old's to sell a movie. Picking out clips can remove context, imagine pulling clips outside of The Dark Knight where the Joker impales a black man's face or blowing up a hospital, and taking the movie to being racist or pro blowing up hospitals.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 6:52 am

Oh okay, that makes sense. One negative review of the I came across from someone complaining about it, was saying that the critics are only giving the movie praise because the director is a black female, and that they are being hypocritical, because if the director was a white male, the same critics would tear it to pieces.

If that's true, and that the critics are only praising it because of the director herself likely?

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2020, 12:02 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, that makes sense. One negative review of the I came across from someone complaining about it, was saying that the critics are only giving the movie praise because the director is a black female, and that they are being hypocritical, because if the director was a white male, the same critics would tear it to pieces.

If that's true, and that the critics are only praising it because of the director herself likely?

That is one of the stupidest most laughable, disgusting thoughts out there. Please stop, this isn't helping, just stop.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2020, 7:29 am

Well I was just quoting a review, it's not me who said that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 12:03 am

Just an update that Netflix have been indicted by a US grand jury for the series Cuties after pressure from republican Ted Cruz

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/m ... 85022ccfe1

Netflix decided to broadcast the series after it won awards at the Berlin Film Festival and Sundance film festival. The female writer and director Maïmouna Doucoure who is Sengalese based the story on herself presenting a cross-cultural coming of age film as she moved from Senegal to France.

Ted Cruz's suggestion the author is trying to present pedophilia is completely insane (something of a pattern with republicans), Doucoure is likely culturally unaware of the issue of how little girls are presented in the countries like the US can be misconstrued as quite clearly nobody in France where it was filmed or at Sundance or the Berlin Film Festival saw a problem with the film if they gave it an award.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 3:18 am

cyberdad wrote:
Just an update that Netflix have been indicted by a US grand jury for the series Cuties after pressure from republican Ted Cruz

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/m ... 85022ccfe1

Netflix decided to broadcast the series after it won awards at the Berlin Film Festival and Sundance film festival. The female writer and director Maïmouna Doucoure who is Sengalese based the story on herself presenting a cross-cultural coming of age film as she moved from Senegal to France.

Ted Cruz's suggestion the author is trying to present pedophilia is completely insane (something of a pattern with republicans), Doucoure is likely culturally unaware of the issue of how little girls are presented in the countries like the US can be misconstrued as quite clearly nobody in France where it was filmed or at Sundance or the Berlin Film Festival saw a problem with the film if they gave it an award.

And people think that there are no silly social justice warriors on the Right that virtue signal and push a culture of censorship and canceling.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 5:54 am

Bradleigh wrote:
And people think that there are no silly social justice warriors on the Right that virtue signal and push a culture of censorship and canceling.

Yes this exact issue was discussed on another thread and the OP posited that the NY times was biased by daring to mention the "right wing" trying to shut down the free expression of art.

Seems like a double standard.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 6:13 pm

Oh okay, but when it comes to what could be child exploitation, there seems to be an exception there for the 'right', doesn't there?

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 6:35 pm

ironpony wrote:

People think I'm about 12 and I'm in my 30s. You'd be surprised how many people just think in terms of wrinkles and height.

Besides, who cares? Dawson's casting is a thing for a reason and especially good idea in something like this.

Rather that than have actual children playing it.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 6:38 pm

thewrll wrote:
KT67 wrote:

I've only seen one article which made this a political thing. And one youtube video defending it - but that was by a creepy self described 'MAP' who said he was 'into' it (so for anyone moral, that should be a reason not to like it).

If people go to a dance show where kids have been directed to dance like that then they condemn the movie, they're hypocrites.

If they go to an all ages party where pre-teens & teenagers are dancing like that, I don't think they're necessarily hypocrites. Assuming they don't stare at it, 'enjoy' it etc but just leave the youngsters to their fun. Cos that's about choice, about not being directed by adults, the teens doing it for themselves or other kids etc. When people act shocked at that, I wonder if they remember being teenagers?

Big Fat Gypsy Wedding had kids doing similar dancing and was made out like it was a racial thing, this proves it isn't. It's not just Traveller teenagers who do it, it's all teenagers (& little kids who are exposed to popstar dancing will probably innocently do it like the Traveller children under about 10 who did it on that show.)

I really don't get why they can't just hire adult actresses. Same scenes. There are adults out there who look younger & who could cope psychologically with what's involved or weirdos being 'into' it.

I also don't see what's wrong with kids sticking to line dancing or ballet etc rather than those kinds of dances on stage. Adults who want to watch kids do sexy dances are weirdos.

Yes, right wingers can be awful snowflakes. But this isn't one of those times. This isn't Sam Smith going by 'they/them' pronouns. This is a moral issue rather than a political one.

I also think telling an 11 yo 'I was married at your age' is overly sexualising them. No kid should be married at 11 and it shouldn't be normalised that some of them, in some parts of the world, are married off so young. A ring on the finger doesn't make impregnating an 11 yo alright.

Actually watch the movie instead of one clip, or else nope I don't take your word.

No.

I'm not into watching stuff which sexualises kids so I'll pass on that.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 8:01 pm

But this is the problem, of knowing what the movie consists of because everyone is refusing to watch it. All we have to go on is conjecture and incomplete hearsay, so how do we know how bad the movie is, if no one is going to watch it?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 10:09 pm

I take the view that as a work of art there needs to be some type of warning so people don't view it if they are likely to be triggered by the content (for whatever reason). Just apply an R rating so that its clear the content is potentially offensive.

I find it strange the same republicans who object to cuties have no problems with teenage boys playing video games where they can blow out people's brains, right wing vigilantes murdering people on the streets of Minneapolis or with killing harmless animals with guns for pleasure.