Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Scytale
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2008, 11:52 pm

My dad's an overall decent guy, except if and when you have to work for him. He's a taskmaster to his employees, yells a lot on the job, and has little in the way of leadership/mentoring skills. He expects everyone to read his mind and do things exactly as he would (otherwise it's wrong). He goes through hired hands like race car drivers go through tires, yet he fails to understand why they quit.

Ironically, his birthday often coincides with 2 minor (greeting card industry-driven) special occasion days: Boss's Day and Sweetest Day. He certainly isn't the world's sweetest boss. :)

He was a good father to me (still is). I just hated working for him while growing-up.

marmotta
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Mar 2008, 7:56 am

My dad is a mechanic..he didn't learn how to say what he was feeling until his late 50s...and still has problems with being over loud at stressful events, and using words to convey feelings. Last family funeral, dad was really having a hard time staying quiet and nice....so I held his wrist the way my friends do me when I'm out of control...it really worked! :D

tantopat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2008, 2:02 pm

My Dad was a circus performer in the 70s, and dressed up as a gorilla to entertain/scare the audience, until my Grandma made him come home and join the RAF in order to become more self-disciplined. :P Since then, he's been a skydiver, scuba diver, motorbike racer, flying instructor, computer engineer and sound engineer (which he still is). :)

Kindern
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Mar 2008, 6:27 am

my father could touch his nose with his tongue........

marmotta
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2008, 7:02 am

I can do that too, but my dad can't. Dad is only five feet five and 130 lbs.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Mar 2008, 2:21 pm

entirely lost his sense of smell in a bicycle accident in his twenties

8)

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 3:13 pm

My dad's arms were larger than my legs! He was a very strong man when he was healthy.

Scytale
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2008, 11:30 pm

In the '70s my dad took drumming lessons and would often play polka music in the living room with his brother-in law (my uncle) on accordion and sometimes my mom on electric organ. :eew:

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 11:44 pm

Facts on my Father.
1.Born third of seven children,and the second son.
2. Naval Medic during Veitnam.
3. Retired X-ray manager.
4. Married three times.My mother is his second wife.
5. Works for H@R Block.
6.Owned two Dobermans , yet not at the same time.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 12:50 am

My dad's dad left him and his mom at an early age. His mom married a Hitler Youth, they had two daughters together. His step dad didn't like him and abused him.

He wanted to be an artist, but someone stole his portfolio, so he gave that dream up.

He joined the Air Force and worked in the ER, I'd have to ask my mom which position, before he had a brain hemorrhage. After that he couldn't do medical anymore, he went on to be a Staff Sargent working directly under a General and got quite a few high marks before being honorably discharged for being overweight. He was in the AF over 16 years.

He wanted to become a pastor/preacher. But after cheating on my mom he thought he couldn't be. He was married four times, and had five children. One with his first wife(I have an older half brother I never met) and four with our mom. His third wife didn't have any children, his fourth wife had a daughter and son.

He died in 2004, on or around my sister's birthday. He was found in his pickup after he was missing for a week.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 12:52 am

Scytale wrote:
In the '70s my dad took drumming lessons and would often play polka music in the living room with his brother-in law (my uncle) on accordion and sometimes my mom on electric organ. :eew:

:D My dad used to fiddle around with an accordion, early 80's. I thought it was fun.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

Scytale
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2008, 8:34 am

mikebw wrote:
Scytale wrote:

:D My dad used to fiddle around with an accordion, early 80's. I thought it was fun.

I do think it would be neat to learn to play one of those concertias. There's a great music store in Lansing, MI (Elderly Music) that sell decent ones starting at about $400. Maybe someday, but not anytime soon.

bobert
Toucan
Toucan

15 Mar 2008, 5:46 pm

Social_Fantom wrote:
My dad's arms were larger than my legs! He was a very strong man when he was healthy.

Very funny, my dad also had a high "chimp factor" (arm span/height)

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2008, 2:38 pm

My dad played hockey when he was a kid.

hitormist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2008, 8:59 pm

My dad officiated (field) hockey when he was younger, and his brother used to play in goal. My dad was the one who suffered the worst hockey injury out of the two of them, by falling over and cracking a bone in his hand

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 9:21 pm

My dad was one of the most successful farmers in our area.