Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 10:57 pm

I am an avid indoor gardener mainly specializing in Tomatoes? Anyone else garden?

missfresnel
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jan 2017, 12:36 am

I'd honestly never heard of indoor gardening before. How does it work? I've always wanted to try gardening, but the feeling of dirt on my hands just drives me nuts, so outside work has always been out of the question.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 12:39 am

Growing plants indoors, I use Coco Coir and air pruning to grow large plants in a small space. The plant I grow the most of is Pothos, Tomatoes, and Spider Plants. You have to provide lighting (I prefer LEDs).

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 3:03 am

Not sure I'd qualify as that but am trying to grow plants indoors, or at least revive them and keep them from dying. Me and my brother got 3 venus fly-traps, but I am concerned a couple of them are dead...I read they are supposed to go dormant in the winter so I started watering less and keeping them in more shade as I read you should do but these two just look dead like there is no plant left.. just black stuff and maybe some roots clinging to life but one of them still has a little green and isn't growing so I think that one is successfully dormant and is likely to come back. I may have watered the other two too much somehow...uhh but its my first time trying to take care of those difficult plants.

Then my mom got me and my brother hydroponic herbs, the mint I have has been doing fine but it takes a lot of water...and starts wilting if I don't remember to water it repeatedly during the day, one day it was like completely wilted but I gave it some water which helped but since then it wont stand up straight so it keeps knocking itself over. Then my brothers basil was not doing well there were apparently two plants in the bag it came in and one was dead and rotting which was killing the other one so I had to seperate the dead one and throw that away and then I pulled a lot of dead root matter off the one still living one and gave it fresh water and rinsed the roots a couple times to get all the dead crap out of them. Was worried about being too rough with the roots but since then it has grown some new healthy ones and the leaves of the plant are looking much better.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 3:08 am

missfresnel wrote:
I'd honestly never heard of indoor gardening before. How does it work? I've always wanted to try gardening, but the feeling of dirt on my hands just drives me nuts, so outside work has always been out of the question.

Well you could try hydroponic gardening then, that is probably a more efficient way to garden inside anyways.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 9:04 am

Venus Flytrap dormancy requires lower temp.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 6:24 pm

I like to indoor garden, but I usually end up moving my plants outside because I can't afford the lights and don't have enough room. My favorite thing to grow is catnip because I like catnip tea and cats. Eventually I'm going to start my own small business and sell the catnip plants I'm growing. I have a pretty good supply of seeds from my old catnip plants. One day I want to have plants all over my house. I love my plants and spend a lot of time with them. I'm interested in learning to grow mushrooms, but seems like it would be extremely difficult. I love terrariums and fairy gardens...

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 6:36 pm

I have read that propagating mushrooms can be hard, but they are easy to grow.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 11:45 am

I went thru a phase of growing indoor house plants in my late teens/early twenties. I am thinking of doing it again, but this time adding a few veggies. It will take a while, as my place is a mess, & with my chronic fatigue, and other health issues, it will take me a long time to get things cleaned up, and then to set things up for an indoor garden. I don't care how long it takes, though, I am going to do it all, as I am able to get to it. :D

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 6:47 pm

My easiest plant is my Lizzano Tomato. It is small. I clone them so I only had to plant one seed. I get fruit a lot faster with clones. I clone them in water but gen transplant them. I highly recommend Coco Coir. It is easy to work with. Lettuce is pretty easy to grow. Are you interested in propagating plants? If so do you mind seeds?

tick
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jan 2017, 7:10 pm

I have tomatoes that were started on the Solstice in the dining room window with supplemental lighting provided by a light clipped to the shelf above. It's a Winter tradition for us. The little guys will get to go out when it's warm enough and they should at least be blooming by then. Never had any luck with bringing them back in for the winter but I 'd love to learn to get a half way decent tomato in November.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 8:45 pm

I grow in Coco and air pruning pots. Air pruning pots allow for smaller pots. Coco Coir is great, because it is nearly impossible to overwater. I take generation after generation of cutting. I use hydroponic fertilizer. I use beneficial bacteria and mycorrhizae. I admit I put a lot of time into my plants. I am more interested in just growing the plants. The Lizzanos are the only thing that gives a large amount of fruit. The Red Robin though give a fair share of Tomatoes. Cuttings of Tomatoes only work on non-determinites. Lizzano is semi-determinate and also a dwarf. That has many affects on the plant, but for fruits they give one large batch then many smaller ones afterwards. For indoors and easy Propogation compact indeterminate work great. They grow about four feet, but can be cloned and give fruits for a larger amount of time. Dwarf determinates are great, but give fruit for a short amount of time.

tick

30 Jan 2017, 9:03 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
I grow in Coco and air pruning pots. Air pruning pots allow for smaller pots. Coco Coir is great, because it is nearly impossible to overwater. I take generation after generation of cutting. I use hydroponic fertilizer. I use beneficial bacteria and mycorrhizae. I admit I put a lot of time into my plants. I am more interested in just growing the plants. The Lizzanos are the only thing that gives a large amount of fruit. The Red Robin though give a fair share of Tomatoes. Cuttings of Tomatoes only work on non-determinites. Lizzano is semi-determinate and also a dwarf. That has many affects on the plant, but for fruits they give one large batch then many smaller ones afterwards. For indoors and easy Propogation compact indeterminate work great. They grow about four feet, but can be cloned and give fruits for a larger amount of time. Dwarf determinates are great, but give fruit for a short amount of time.

Thanks for posting all the tomato info, I'm going to give that a try. :bounce: I'm also going to get some coco coir and start experimenting a bit. I have 40 house plants in addition to the baby tomatoes and the coco coir would be great for making my own succulent mix.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 9:15 pm

You cannot grow in pure Coco Coir though, you have to mix it with something like perlite for aeration. You cannot use soil fertilizer though. I have never grown succulants in Coco Coir. I grow plants such as Pothos and Spider Plants.