SomewhatGeekyPolyglot, interests: languages,making music,...

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 9:11 am

Thanks for your reply. In response:

I have little difficulty in remembering vocabulary, regardless.

I can recognize conjugations in present, past and future tenses in written form, but less so in conversation and I have a harder time using tenses besides present when speaking.

Grammar, per se, is not difficult, but actually using the language is tough. I actually minored in French in college, but I cannot hold a fluent conversation then nor now. In other words, I had a lot of information about French, but almost no practical use of it.

Spanish has been almost entirely self-taught, because I have clients who speak only Spanish. I can converse in Spanish so long as it is a topic typical of what I am discussing with my clients. I know I make a lot of errors, but they seem to know what I am saying.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 6:35 am

Welcome to WP!

Good to see another language fan. I wouldn't' really consider myself a polyglot, but I studied linguistics in college. I'm near-fluent in German, took two semesters of Russian (loved the language, but damn, those verbs man), and a few weeks of Arabic. How would you rank your fluency with the languages you speak?

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

SomewhatGeekyPolyglot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2018, 11:31 am

blazingstar wrote:
Thanks for your reply. In response: [...]

I wish that I would have been able to reply much earlier than just now.
But because of something that wasn't at all in my hands, I couldn't do so.

As for a (relatively) detailed answer on your specific learning situation, I now posted it at a language forum. This is because I think that it would fit in there even better. By the way, I didn't mention your nickname nor any verbatim quotes :D.

https://forum.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56241#p1125985

SomewhatGeekyPolyglot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2018, 11:40 am

roronoa79 wrote:
Welcome to WP!

Good to see another language fan. I wouldn't' really consider myself a polyglot, but I studied linguistics in college. I'm near-fluent in German, took two semesters of Russian (loved the language, but damn, those verbs man), and a few weeks of Arabic. How would you rank your fluency with the languages you speak?

Thank you for the welcome.

Again, I wish that I would have been able to reply much earlier. But there was something that wasn't in my own hands.

Since you asked about my fluency with the languages I speak, I surely like to tell ya. :)
For the purpose of a more complete answer, I would also mention something about the other three abilities, i.e. reading, writing and listening.

In this list of languages, before the slash there is the minimum speaking ability. And after it, there is the maximum reading ability.

As for listening, it is like speaking at least.
And as for writing, it is like reading at most.

DE (native), EN (C2), EN-AFR/EN-CAR (B2 / C2), AR (C2), ES (B2), FR (B1 / B2), NL (A1 / B2), AF (pre-A1 / B2), SWA (A2 / B1), SV/DA/NO (pre-A1 / B2), PT (pre-A1 / B2), IT (pre-A1 / B2), RO (pre-A1 / B2), LAT (pre-A1 / B2), EO (pre-A1 / B2), JP (A1), toki pona (A1), micro-learning several others.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 1:53 pm

You have a lot of the same interests I have. I like learning languages too and I am very interested in autism/Asperger's syndrome. My interest in Denis Istomin made me interested in learning Russian, although I'm not of Russian descent. My first language was German. I learned English when I was six, and Spanish in high school.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 2:25 pm

SomewhatGeekyPolyglot wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
Thanks for your reply. In response: [...]

I wish that I would have been able to reply much earlier than just now.
But because of something that wasn't at all in my hands, I couldn't do so.

As for a (relatively) detailed answer on your specific learning situation, I now posted it at a language forum. This is because I think that it would fit in there even better. By the way, I didn't mention your nickname nor any verbatim quotes :D.

https://forum.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56241#p1125985

Thanks, I'll try your suggestions.

SomewhatGeekyPolyglot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Nov 2018, 12:50 am

blazingstar wrote:
Thanks, I'll try your suggestions.

You are welcome.

FYI, as soon as there are some Learning Process News, you could make a short follow-up. Then I _probably_ would be able to give some new suggestions.

"If the person who asked the question is able to assemble these puzzle pieces, possibly combining them with some more, to get a More Complete Partial Picture, it is Very Possible to re-ask the question based on the Partial Picture that already has become clear." :)

SomewhatGeekyPolyglot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Nov 2018, 12:58 am

And as for making music:
The Soundcloud link already is included in my signature.

But not everyone reads signatures even :).
Because of that, I am writing this post.
There would be 19 tracks right now.

And my Soundcloud space exists for more than one reason.
One of them is an attempt of contributing to a better understanding between "us" and "them". (Intentionally using quotation marks). For that reason, my nickname has been explained there, especially the "somewhat geeky" part.