Page 4 of 9 [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

Chickenbird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2011, 4:31 pm

lincoln1975 wrote:
Hi my name is Lincoln and I have given my whole life to Christ after confessing that I am a sinner, it's the best feeling truly

Bless you Lincoln that is how I feel too :)

Changed score with attention to health. Still have AS traits and also some difficulties.

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 11:40 pm

*Raises hand*

Your sinner score: 200 of 200
Your works-based (heaven-qualifying) score: 0 of 200
Your faith-based (imputed righteousness) score: 200 of 200

You are very likely a Christian.

Ofaelan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2011, 1:36 pm

Greenmouse wrote:
For everyone:

Did knowing you're an Aspie change the way you look at God?

I had already been knowingly disabled by (supposedly-)other things almost a decade before I knew I'm an Aspie: IBS-D, Major Depression, Social Anxiety Disorder, Seasonal Affective Disorder, Painful Foot Syndrome. A.S. was, so to speak, icing on the cake! Tho actually it may answer most of my life's questions and problems, sort of an umbrella-condition.

Anyway, so in connection with all my physical and psychological difficulties, I had already gotten alot out of Jean-Claude Larchet's Theology of Illness. (BTW, if he's not an Aspie...! He's written a couple thousand pages in book form about early Christian Theology [original definitions of both words] of a certain kind and time period, and he's technically not even a Patrologist, 'merely' a philosopher. But I guess talent + interest do not necessarily equal ASD! :wink: )

Since I've been drawn towards Eastern Orthodoxy in the last decade, I've been more interested in this early Theology than is generally the case in the Western Catholicism of most of my life beforehand. And maybe I was more open to a very traditional-sounding message that God did not invent sickness and death, and God kills no one: The Fall of humankind and estrangement from God shattered the universe, not actually from some primeval perfection, but from the possibility or openness to such a gift from God, without Divine Intervention inside Creation/the universe (in the form of God's Incarnation in the life, ministry, suffering, death, resurrection from the dead, and ascension into Glory, of Our Lord, God, and Savior, Jesus Christ). So everything from galaxies colliding, down to my long hours on the toilet, WE did it, the whole organic union of humankind did it, well-represented indeed by Adam and Eve in the biblical Book of Genesis! Some of this is my piggybacking other writers onto Larchet, but within what I believe to be The Orthodox Tradition ... though I should consider myself having a weak grasp of it if at all! But WE introduced all this going-awry into the universe by our free choice to try to go our own way, incapable as we are. What God does is try to spin it to our benefit, use what we've done as humankind to underline for us how bad we've made it, and how to fix it, ie, by becoming Godlike, or in Greek, Theosis, sometimes translated as Deification or Divinization: becoming, by His free gift, "partakers of Divineness" (2 Peter 1:4) ... not to be confused with godlike and apotheosis, which Orthodox Theology considers made-up and fictional, at best.

(How is this different from when all those non-Orthodox professional speakers and writers say similar-sounding things that we in the Western world are traditionally so familiar with? That's hard for me to convey without writing a book myself. But it's like taking things out of context and losing their meaning as augmented by their original context, by accident or on purpose.)

Long story short, as an Orthodox prayer prays, my illness had already been the occasion for a religious struggle for me, not because of doubt but quite by accident, discovering in Orthodox t/Theology a system that seemed to me to make the most sense of several I'd tried before. IOW, time on my hands, to read up on it. THAT changed the way I look at everything to do with Christianity, and continues to. But A.S. came into my awareness as 'just another illness.' Why? That remains to be seen.

OTOH, I have wondered sometimes if it's NOT an illness, rather Neurotypicalism is, and Adam and Eve were created "Aspie," and Jesus Himself was "Aspie," and NTism only came in with The Fall!! ! 'Autistic Liberation Theology,' anyone?! !! 'Aspergian Theology'?! :wink: "Half-jest and full earnest," as we Irish say!

God forgive me,
Pete

PS: Pardon my longwindedness ... This may be my No. 1 "special interest," religion/theology ... I even got most of two Master's degrees in it! But I'm not really equipped to debate many of the finer points of Western theology or religious philosophy, nor inclined to, hugely conflict-averse as I am! When I was a Catholic, I didn't 'do' Aquinas or Balthasar, and when I was a Protestant, I didn't 'do' Luther or Calvin, Spong or Dobson (though I almost completed a thesis on Hauerwas and Yoder). I'm really just answering the question from my own particularity, unique or not tho it be. Happy Easter, Good Pesach, and Kalo Pascha!

Ofaelan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2011, 1:47 pm

Sparrowrose wrote:
Diogenes_of_Sinope wrote:
Francis wrote:
I am a Christian.

I was raised eastern orthodox, and even lived in a Orthodox monastery for awhile. but for the past 5 or so years I have been attending a methodist church.

Hi Francis,

I am interested in your experiences at the Greek Orthodox monastery. To be specific, during the practice of hesychasm did you ever observe the uncreated light? Are you acquainted with anyone who claims such observation?

Hi, Michael

Are you an Eastern Orthodox Christian, too? It gets so lonely feeling like I'm the only autistic Orthodox Christian in the world.

Hi, you are not ... tho I'm a convert, so do I count?! Or do we just come in and pee in Orthodoxy's gene pool?! ! :wink:

Peter

Ofaelan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2011, 2:13 pm

Greenmouse wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I am Catholic, and sometimes feel alone as a Christian Aspie.

I always feel alone as a Christian Aspie. Christian NT's reject me, Non-christian aspies reject me too.

Hey, Greenmouse, I may not totally agree with you, but I don't reject you. If it helps, while in Catholic high school I became involved in the Charismatic Renewal and experienced their "baptism in the spirit" and so forth. I felt my Quakerism was rather experiential in the '90s, too. In fact, a big appeal of Orthodoxy to me is how much its definition of Salvation makes sense, ie, embodied in the Divine gift of the experience of the vision of the Light of Mt. Tabor / Damascus Road / various other Biblical Theophanies, ideally even before death.

Pete

sabby
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2011, 3:11 pm

Greenmouse wrote:
Just want to say that Born-Again Christian means that you believe in Jesus and only in Jesus. It has nothing to do with being Protestant, Orthodox or Catholic.

Sparrowrose wrote:
Greenmouse wrote:
Just want to say that Born-Again Christian means that you believe in Jesus and only in Jesus. It has nothing to do with being Protestant, Orthodox or Catholic.

Here in the United States, "Born-Again Christian" means a particular type of evangelical Protestant.

I believe in Jesus and I only *worship* the Trinity of God, Christ, and he Holy Spirit. But I believe in more than only Jesus. I believe in the Holy Scriptures, the healing power of icons, the love of Christ's mother that led her to obey God and offer her flesh to her Son so that he could be fully human as well as fully God. I believe in the testimony of the sacrifice of the martyrs throughout the centuries and I believe that I am called to be a martyr as well, carrying my own crosses in life and accepting these burdens in order to become a more pure and faithful Christian and a better person. I believe in the power of the name of Christ to banish demons. I believe in the baptism by water and by the Holy Spirit. I believe in the traditions of the Church that were handed down from the beginning (as Saint Paul describes in 2 Thess 2:15, 1 Cor 11:2, 2 Thess 3:6) Jesus is, of course, my Savior and the focus of my faith -- everything points to Christ and without Christ there is nothing. In Him we live and move and have our being. But to remove Christ from the fullness of my faith and consider only Him without all the joyful and beautiful elements of my faith that praise Him and remind us of Him and teach us how to be more like Him is like taking a beautiful jewel out of the lovely setting that holds and displays it.

So, no, I believe in Jesus but I don't believe ONLY in Jesus. So I am not a Born-Again Christian.

I agree with sparrowrose.

And I'm a Christian, but not a "born-again Christian". Where I have heard that term is in church, and it's nondenominational. To me, a "born-again Christian is a Christian who has been baptized. So I think that phrase can be translated in many different ways, and that the translation varies on location. Make sense?

LovebirdsFlying
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2011, 7:52 am

Greenmouse wrote:
Hi! Is there any christian aspies by any chance?

I'm one. :cheers:

Well, I am a Christian for certain, and an Aspie by suspicion. I may soon obtain that diagnosis formally, and then be able to definitely call myself a Christian Aspie.

Good to see you all here.

AQ score 35

Childeric
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Apr 2011, 4:44 pm

Where to start... well, I was diagnosed with autism as a child, but people often call me "high functioning", so I'm not sure what that makes me. I was later diagnosed with with schizophrenia as well. I'm a Christian, and a faithful member of a Presbyterian church. I was on here under another name years ago, but I decided to give it another try. My interests include music, history, ethnic cooking, computer programming, languages, and foreign cultures. I'm currently single, but hope eventually not to be. I suppose you can call me a geek, but I'm not really into comic books or video games, and my roleplaying game days are pretty much over. If any of this interests you, drop me a line.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

24 Apr 2011, 6:34 pm

I'm a believer but i believe in evolution too.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 2:31 pm

sabby wrote:
And I'm a Christian, but not a "born-again Christian". Where I have heard that term is in church, and it's nondenominational. To me, a "born-again Christian is a Christian who has been baptized. So I think that phrase can be translated in many different ways, and that the translation varies on location. Make sense?

Baptism is a symbol of what has taken place spiritually. Born again means that you are now living a new life in Christ.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 2:59 pm

Traditional Roman Catholic here. Obviously not born again by American standards though.

Jackanape
Raven
Raven

02 Jun 2011, 9:18 pm

I'm a terrible example, but I'm a Christian as well. I

fotojunkie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jun 2011, 11:02 am

I am a spirit-filled Christian.
I am very interested in talking with other Christian Aspies.
I also have a survey for Christian Aspies (and others on the spectrum) and how they relate to church. I am hoping I can compile the information and help other Aspies with their church experiences. If you don't mind taking about 7 minutes to do the survey, I would appreciate it.

Aspies and Church Survey

hockeytaz
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2011, 5:59 pm

Hi I'm new here, but I'm a Christian and almost 100% positive aspie along with other health issues.

catlover02
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jun 2011, 3:55 pm

Greenmouse wrote:
Hi! Is there any christian aspies by any chance?

I am a Christian and I have Asperger's Syndrome. I love Jesus so very much. :) "God made me according to His perfect plan. I am loved and beautiful." That is a quote that one of my online Christians friends told me to write down and say everyday. I find it really hard being a Christian Aspie. :( I have NOT been doing well lately and I would really like prayer and maybe someone to talk to. :( Thanks.

dsbear
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jun 2011, 6:43 pm

Greenmouse wrote:
Hi! Do you feel sometimes alone as a Christian aspie?

Yes. I have tried a couple churches. But they seem to be so much focused on social things and family. I don't have any local family and I'm not that great at socializing. So I always feel left out at churches. But atleast I have God, I've learned to depend on Him when Christian friends stop being my friend.