Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

huixquilucan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Dec 2019, 9:40 pm

Hello to everyone!

I'm male 38 years old and live in Brazil. I'm not autist or asperger, but my daughter was diagnosed with autism when she was 2 yo - now she's 7 years old.

When she got the diagnosis 5 years ago, the pediatric neurology doctor said she is "atypical autism" plus "Level 2 autism".

Since then my wife and I tried several approaches / treatments / interventions:

- ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis);
- RDI (Relationship Development Intervention);
- Sensory Therapies;
- ESDM (Early Start Denver Model);
- Gluten / MSG / Casein free;
- Echinotherapy;
- Speech therapy;
- Family Constellation;
- Cognitive behavioral therapy;
- Risperidone;
- Ritalin;
- And others that I'm not remembering ...

One year ago she was re-assessed by the same doctor and now she got an upgrade to "Level 1 autism". LOL

She is doing a great job and 6 months ago she started neurofeedback sessions and stopped all drugs (risperidone and ritalin) that she used to get on daily basis and also attending regular classes in a "normal school" without support.

Well, my main target here is exchange ideas and also see what's news that I can use to improve my daughter's skills.

Thank you!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2019, 9:55 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

One of our members, Jason H.J. Lu, wrote a book titled "Eikona Bridge". He has 2 children that are on the autism spectrum and he himself is on the spectrum. He has a rather unusual approach for helping young children on the spectrum. I would recommend his approach.

huixquilucan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Dec 2019, 10:16 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet!

One of our members, Jason H.J. Lu, wrote a book titled "Eikona Bridge". He has 2 children that are on the autism spectrum and he himself is on the spectrum. He has a rather unusual approach for helping young children on the spectrum. I would recommend his approach.

Thank you Jimmy, I really appreciated your tip! I will check if this book is available on Amazon

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2019, 11:42 pm

Hi and welcome :). I agree with Jimmy. I’m a parent of three who are on the spectrum, as am I, and believe wholeheartedly in acceptance, not cure. My children are now adults. My eldest son is a pilot(also a successful singer/songwriter/musician who has a hair salon in London. My daughter followed in my footsteps and works with children and young adults on the spectrum who present with the more extreme behavioural issues, and she is an artist with a gift for languages, and my youngest is an actor in film and video games, who I home educated for 10 years. He also plays multiple instruments and is a singer/songwriter, bringing out music on a continual basis. We’re a very close-knit family.

Much of the behaviour of autistic children/adults that is seen as a problem and is frequently targeted for “treatment”, “cure”, “correction”, is actually symptomatic of the need for structure. If a disturbed autistic person is given the structure they need and crave, then the anxiety-driven problem behaviour disappears.

Again, welcome! I have a friend who lives in Sao Paulo. Good to have you with us.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2019, 3:04 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2019, 9:24 pm

Hi and welcome to WP. I have an aspie daughter who is in college. I'm on the spectrum too. I just finished Temple Grandin's book "The Autistic Brain" and like the advice it provides for parents. My daughter was diagnosed while in high school, but I always knew she had aspie traits. Luckily, I had done everything Grandin recommends. One example, Grandin's mother pushed to to go to a lumber yard herself to buy some wood. Grandin came home crying, but did buy the wood and now appreciates her mother pushing her. That situation sounded familiar.

huixquilucan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jan 2020, 10:16 pm

Juliette wrote:
Hi and welcome :). I agree with Jimmy. I’m a parent of three who are on the spectrum, as am I, and believe wholeheartedly in acceptance, not cure. My children are now adults. My eldest son is a pilot(also a successful singer/songwriter/musician who has a hair salon in London. My daughter followed in my footsteps and works with children and young adults on the spectrum who present with the more extreme behavioural issues, and she is an artist with a gift for languages, and my youngest is an actor in film and video games, who I home educated for 10 years. He also plays multiple instruments and is a singer/songwriter, bringing out music on a continual basis. We’re a very close-knit family.

Much of the behaviour of autistic children/adults that is seen as a problem and is frequently targeted for “treatment”, “cure”, “correction”, is actually symptomatic of the need for structure. If a disturbed autistic person is given the structure they need and crave, then the anxiety-driven problem behaviour disappears.

Again, welcome! I have a friend who lives in Sao Paulo. Good to have you with us.

Helo Juliette, Happy New Year!

I'm glad to read such successful histories about your family.

Happy to be part of this family! :D

huixquilucan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jan 2020, 10:18 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Hello AA, thank you and Happy New Year! :wink:

huixquilucan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jan 2020, 10:22 pm

CarlM wrote:
Hi and welcome to WP. I have an aspie daughter who is in college. I'm on the spectrum too. I just finished Temple Grandin's book "The Autistic Brain" and like the advice it provides for parents. My daughter was diagnosed while in high school, but I always knew she had aspie traits. Luckily, I had done everything Grandin recommends. One example, Grandin's mother pushed to to go to a lumber yard herself to buy some wood. Grandin came home crying, but did buy the wood and now appreciates her mother pushing her. That situation sounded familiar.

Hello Car, Happy New Year! :P

I already hear about "The Autistic Brain" book but I didn't have chance to read it. If you summarize this book in 3 main advices/recommendations, what would be?

Definitely I want read this book ...

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 1:46 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 9:48 am

Como vao as coisas?!?!?! Welcome to WP

LivingPower
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jan 2020, 10:36 am

Welcome! I am the mother of a newly diagnosed 17-yr-old. Looking forward to connecting!

huixquilucan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jan 2020, 8:20 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Welcome to WP!

Thank you Tim!

huixquilucan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jan 2020, 8:26 pm

pyrrhicwren wrote:
Como vao as coisas?!?!?! Welcome to WP

Não posso reclamar, mas poderia estar melhor se estivesse com as crianças na praia (I can't complain, but could be better if I was enjoying the beach with my kids) :lol:

huixquilucan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jan 2020, 8:27 pm

LivingPower wrote:
Welcome! I am the mother of a newly diagnosed 17-yr-old. Looking forward to connecting!

Hello LP, glad for your message. You can always count on me!