Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

nomoreality
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2006, 11:33 am

To be brief - 5 and a half year old Aspie - now in his second year at mainstream school - all things considered, he's rubbing along quite nicely. When it's just him and me I pick him up from school and we walk home in peace and chat to each other.

So - add to the mix his 3 and a half year old NT brother - who has just done his second session at the Kindergarten part of the school.

Add to this - me with a buggy with a 13 month old baby boy in it trying to pick both brothers up from school and walk them home - a 10 minute walk through some busy roads.

Both boys just take off like wild dogs running in different directions - one lying down on the pavement tired - the other galloping off like a race-horse.

WHAT DO I DO? HOW DO I GET THEM HOME WIHOUT:-

a) Looking like a fool
b) One or both going missing
c) etc etc etc.......

Am I missing something?

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Sep 2006, 11:57 am

I don't know anything about these situations so I'm just guessing here, but how about a double-stroller for the 2 small children, with the 5yo helping you push it? Or maybe a cord that everybody has to hold onto, like I see nursery schools use for outings. Could you link the children to you somehow? Oh, would the 5yo accept the job of "chauffeur", leading the 3yo home on a wagon?

The experienced folks here will probably come up with something. :)

nomoreality
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2006, 12:04 pm

Thanks Clara - the 5 and the 3 year old are very competitive. If I carry the 3 year old the 5 year old insists on being carried otherwise he has a tantrum and lies down. If the 3 year old goes in a stroller the 5 year old wants to go in a stroller too because he likes to be the same - but I can't push all 3. Also, I suspect if I did - after 2 minutes they'd jump out of the strollers and just run off.

I like the idea of the chord though! Thanks so much for your ideas - I am really trying to think of how to make it work. Up until now - the 3 year old has been spending afternoons in a local day nursery just to give him and his brother some space but I think we need to just dive in now.