*Peeps around the door, thinks it looks alright in here*

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ColdEyesWarmHeart
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Oct 2012, 7:33 am

Hello Wrong Planet.

I'm terrible at these introduction things but will give it a go!

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now. I'm a 31 year old woman based in the UK, London to be exact. One of the most exciting cities in the world... at least if you have money and friends to knock around with it is. If you are by yourself and skint it's a different tale.

So what brings me here? I'm currently trying to get assessed to find out if I have Asperger's or not. It certainly seems the most exact fit for what is going on with me. (I have in the past been treated for bipolar and suspected to be borderline, and none of those symptoms fit me. I've also been treated for depression for all of my adult life and while I am depressed, I think that's caused by living with the difficulties I have, rather than the other way around.) Then, recently, as randomly as these things happen, three people unconnected to each other said "that sounds like Asperger's" to me, and that's how I began reading and found there are other people whose lives and experiences have been similar to mine. (And I have done all the online tests that people on here have in their sigs, and got shockingly high results for all of them.) After all these years of thinking I was the only one out there.

I have heard it is near-impossible to get a diagnosis as an adult in the UK, but I'm ready to fight. I think my first conscious thought was "something's wrong with me" and the rest of the world has never held back from telling me so, and now I'm at the point where I'm sick of denial. Sick of being told that some day I'll find where I fit and people who will accept me, and it's getting harder not easier as the years pass. Sick of resisting being labelled - I've been labelled with less than complimentary names all my life. And I'm not frightened anymore of being diagnosed with something that can't be treated or cured - just being able to learn how to live at my best with it would be a massive improvement.

Well, I have probably rattled on long enough now! Hope to get chatting to you on other threads on here.

nigdy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Oct 2012, 8:53 am

Hello ColdEyesWarmHeart!

Hope it will be at least a bit comforting, but my "medical history" sounds pretty much like yours. So I can totally relate. Hope you get your diagnosis soon - it's always easier when you know exactly what' s going on.

Have a nice day,
n.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 10:26 am

Don't worry, you did fine with the introduction. Welcome to the WrongPlanet, and best of luck trying to get a diagnosis. :>

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 12:51 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

ColdEyesWarmHeart
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Oct 2012, 4:56 pm

Thanks for the welcome. :)

Nigdy, I agree with you - it is so much easier when you know. Maybe in the past I wasn't quite ready to know? But now I feel like a lot of me is missing. And I suppose it is, as for so many years I've been trying desperately and unsuccessfully to act normal and fit in. I now find that I don't really know who I am. The time is right to do some exploring and find out what I am and who I am.

And I am finding some comfort in the fact that so many others have had the same struggles in life as I have - obviously I'd prefer it if none of us had had to face it - but it means I'm not on my own, after a whole lifetime of thinking I was alone and no-one understood, now I'm finding people who do understand. Life already feels a little easier, less confusing and less lonely than it did just a couple of months ago.

A couple of things about me so far: my username is a joke based on the fact that people say I have cold eyes. My sig is what a man I went on a blind date with told our friend about me, he meant it to be nasty but I found it funny. And the nails in the avatar are mine - well, they are acrylic, but the hand they are attached to is my own! - as nail art is one of my passions and I always have something cool on my fingertips.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 9:54 pm

I loved the subject line you had in your message!

And good luck on getting your diagnosis too!

I think you and I have had different pasts: mine have been where people have never mentioned what was at issue, and I had to do digging, or get friends to dig, to find out what was at issue.

Having a diagnosis gives peace of mind. Go for it!

All the best.

Tina

almazack
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Oct 2012, 4:29 pm

I have only just registered on this site, this is the literally the first introduction thread I have read and already you're someone similar to me!! :-)

I am 35, female and also trying to get a diagnosis in the UK, and it really is not easy (why why why? I ask!) :/ But I am not going to stop trying until I get one. And don't you, either!
I've had the opposite reaction from other people, all through my life I have known there is something wrong with me, but nobody has agreed or told me this, they just keep telling me I'm normal, but I know full well I'm not!! The only thing suggested from one doctor was anti-psychotic drugs (hmm, helpful) thinking I was bipolar - I didn't take the drugs, just gave up going to the docs for a long time!! I too have been trying desperately all my life to fit in, it is totally exhausting/frustrating at times, I also feel like I lose part of myself doing this.

Good luck on your diagnosis quest! :-) oh and your nails are amazing :-)

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 11:06 am

I like the name :lol: Welcome to WP! Hope you find here what you're looking for. There is a lot to learn around these parts.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 5:35 pm

Hi, and happy hunting for your box where you fit in :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 8:56 pm

Welkome to WP

MickImage

ColdEyesWarmHeart
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2012, 3:37 pm

almazack wrote:
I have only just registered on this site, this is the literally the first introduction thread I have read and already you're someone similar to me!! :-)

I am 35, female and also trying to get a diagnosis in the UK, and it really is not easy (why why why? I ask!) :/ But I am not going to stop trying until I get one. And don't you, either!
I've had the opposite reaction from other people, all through my life I have known there is something wrong with me, but nobody has agreed or told me this, they just keep telling me I'm normal, but I know full well I'm not!! The only thing suggested from one doctor was anti-psychotic drugs (hmm, helpful) thinking I was bipolar - I didn't take the drugs, just gave up going to the docs for a long time!! I too have been trying desperately all my life to fit in, it is totally exhausting/frustrating at times, I also feel like I lose part of myself doing this.

Good luck on your diagnosis quest! :-) oh and your nails are amazing :-)

Hi! I'm here if you'd like a buddy. We're at the same point of this journey (and yes they don't make it easy for us) and we might be able to help & support each other.

I got diagnosed as Bipolar at one point, goodness knows how as none of the Bipolar symptoms fit me. I did take the pills and it was the worst experience ever. They made me completely emotionally numb and disconnected from everything, not to mention I would fall asleep the minute I sat down and I lost track of my own thoughts all the time. I thought I was getting seriously mentally ill. I actually preferred the depression as at least then I was capable of feeling something! I was told not long after the doctor agreed I wasn't Bipolar that I could be Borderline, but the doctor didn't refer me to anyone who could diagnose it, and again the traits of BPD aren't anything like what I have. So not surprisingly I lost trust in doctors for a while after that too.

And I'm a Northern Lass too! :D

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 3:44 pm

Oh, cool! Another Londoner (sort of).

ColdEyesWarmHeart
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2012, 6:30 pm

smudge wrote:
Oh, cool! Another Londoner (sort of).

Excellent! A near-neighbour! :lol:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 6:36 pm

Welcome to WP ColdEyesWarmHeart. Another person from the UK here. :)

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 9:21 am

Welcome to WP