Page 310 of 358 [ 5723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313 ... 358  Next

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2017, 2:57 am

What is your first name? I'll skip this for privacy reasons. If you get to know me one on one, I'll tell you

Hobbies and Interests: Yoga, Triathlon, Fitness, Vegan Food, Natural Health, Travel

Why are you here? My son was diagnosed with autism, and I'm sure I have it too. I'm still in the closet because of a custody battle.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder):

Favorite subjects: If I was still in school right now, history, science, languages, music, theater, and depending on what sport we're doing, gym. I was really out of shape until my 20s though, so I hated gym class in school.

Year/Grade:

Favorite music: Pretty diverse, with a preference for alternative.

Books: I'm not much of a reader.

TV shows/Movies: Not a big TV watcher. I haven't been to the movies either, but I do have a soft spot for movies and shows that use the sci-fi genre as a social commentary. Continuum is a great example of this, and it's especially relevant now that the US has Trump, corporations basically are the government.

Instrument: I sang a long time ago. I would love to get back into this, but time is an issue.

Do you like sports? Now I do! My goal is to compete in the Ironman (triathlon, 3.8 km swim, 180 km bike ride, and 42 km run), and to be in my 80s and still doing it.

Family: Most of my family sees me as the black sheep. I have a pretty good bond with people in my family who have come out as fellow black sheep. They all live in the US, so it's been 6 years since I've seen any of them, my niece and I talk all the time though.

Clothing: No particular style, whatever is comfortable and not boring.

How did you find this website? Google

Job: Yoga/Pilates teacher/entrepreneur.

Plans for the future? Change the world for the better. Still working out the details of that. My feeling says keep training for Ironman, and then use it as a platform to promote a plant-based lifestyle.

Any comments? Being autistic in 2017 is so much better than in the 90s! Hopefully more and more people will wake up to the fact that autism is NOT a disorder or a disease, 2 words I refuse to use when talking about autism.

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2017, 5:11 pm

What is your first name? Prefer not to disclose unless relevant in a one on one conversation. Starts With an L

Hobbies and Interests: In no particular order, Knitting, Crocheting, Cats, Chickens, Dogs, Dog sledding, Sheep, Asiatic/African Cheetahs, Genetics of chickens and cheetahs, Grafting Trees, growing potatoes, indoor shrimp farming, nuclear chemistry, algebra (not inequalities the signs fry my brain), exploring the woods and swamp like areas, boar hunting, fishing, going out in my mariner 3 boat, climbing trees, shooting my little recurve bow, building dollhouse, building things in general (tree houses and chicken coops), architecture (drawing plans for things to build and theoretical houses), tutoring, playing Gran Turismo 5 XL PS3, playing 3rd person shooter games PS3, playing Forge of Empires on my phone, playing Homescapes on my phone, playing Township on my phone, playing Jurassic Park Builder on my phone, listening to music every waking moment, languages so many languages

Why are you here? I can’t relate to anyone IRL so I look here to find people who I can relate to and can relate to me

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): Bipolar II 2012 and High Functioning Autism 2013

Favorite subjects: I will refer to everyone of my favorite subjects since starting high school, german, Spanish, algebra, chemistry, biology, economics, geography, world literature, biology, Old Testament, criminal justice

Year/Grade:11th Grade

Favorite music: Christian Metal and rock: War of Ages, Demon Hunter, Wolves at the Gate, Hope for the Dying, Theocracy, Biogenesis, Fit for a King, Phinehas, Haste the Day, A Feast for Kings, XXI, Becoming the Archetype, Death Therapy and so much more (850+ songs)

Books: Frankenstein, The Odyssey, The Scarlet Letter, The Young Man and the Sea

TV shows/Movies:Avatar, The Dark Knight trilogy, Pirates of the Caribbean, Carrie, The Accountant, The Flash, I Love Lucy, Spongebob Squarepants (pre 2005), King of the Hill, I Shouldn’t be Alive, Mystery Diagnosis

Instrument: Guitar, also want to learn Cello

Do you like sports? I like to play Soccer but don’t like to watch sports of any kind

Family: Dad, Mom, Me, 14 sister, 11 brother, 9 sister, 6 sister, 2 brother, an old bull mastif type mutt, a fat gray tabby who I think is allergic to people, and black cat who meows like a heavy smoker

Clothing:Always jeans even if it’s 37 degrees outside (98) and a non fitted, crew neck Tshirt, when it’s cold I just where my black Batmoose Hoodie

How did you find this website? Don’t remember I’ve known about since shortly after my diagnosis

Job: I was a waitress at a BBQ resturaunt for 3 days (got fired yesterday)

Plans for the future? So many things for the far future but mostly to just get my contacts refilled and get some anxiety medication

Any comments? I might have missed some of my interests and favorite movies but so far I apologize for the extensive list

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

JoeNavy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2017, 8:31 am

Good morning ScarletIbis,

I noted in your signature that you explained the date vs age thing. Just go into your profile and juxtapose the day and month for your date of birth and it should fix it. I had to do that because I was starting to curse at the computer for being wrong every time I looked at it. Hope this helps a little.

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Nov 2017, 10:14 am

JoeNavy wrote:

I noted in your signature that you explained the date vs age thing. Just go into your profile and juxtapose the day and month for your date of birth and it should fix it. I had to do that because I was starting to curse at the computer for being wrong every time I looked at it. Hope this helps a little.

Doesn’t seem to be working, is it because I am on mobile?

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

JoeNavy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2017, 10:30 am

ScarletIbis wrote:
JoeNavy wrote:

Doesn’t seem to be working, is it because I am on mobile?

It could be, I am not well versed enough in the interaction of the various Operating Systems used today. By all rights it should, unless there is some kind of requirement for security certificates that your mobile device cannot support...

The date format for the age fix should be dd/mm/yyyy. If that doesn't work, I am not sure what else will do it. Sorry if I gave you false hope of being able to fix it. :oops:

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Nov 2017, 10:38 am

Yay! It worked JoeNavy. Thank you 8)

Tuthmosis II
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2017, 5:04 pm

What is your first name? Catherine

Hobbies and Interests: Ancient Egypt, Dinosaurs and space :)

Why are you here? I want to meet other people like me

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): Currently being diagnosed

Favorite subjects: English and science

Year/Grade: 10th Grade

Favorite music: Classical

Books: I really like scientific journals and comicbooks

TV shows/Movies: Doctor who and Star Trek TNG (TOG)

Instrument: Clarinet, Gitar and currently learning piano

Do you like sports? Nooo..

Family: Mother, Father, Brother and Sister

Clothing: I like to just wear whatever feels comfortable for my skin, cotton mostly

How did you find this website? I was just on the internet one day, and BAM!

Job: I am currently in school, but hopefully a micro-biologist in the future

Plans for the future? Getting my dream job

Any comments? Yeah, hi. I am new here :D

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2017, 11:11 am

Welcome Queen Tut! :lol:

I love your career plan and it is almost identical to 2 of my 8 different career possibilities. Ones that I completely overlooked when putting my questions post up, huh. Oh well what can you do :roll: .

Twerkalurk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Nov 2017, 2:53 pm

Hobbies and Interests: competitive video games; all areas of science, especially hands on electrical work or project designing; music; sometimes hiking and actually being outdoors.

Why are you here? I want to know why it's so clear to me that I have Aspergers, it's been diagnosed, but somehow everyone (especially family members) refuses to believe that I have it. Am I different from the rest of you? I don't think I am, you tell me.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): 2017 - ASD, Running around 160 out of 200.

Favorite subjects: Science, video games

Year/Grade: I'm a graduate student. Integrated Science Education for Adolescents to Young Adults.

Favorite music: Nightcore, classical, random happy music

Books: fantasy based

TV shows/Movies: just whatever I think is good at the time. I am partial to witchcraft topics.

Instrument: Harp, Vocals

Do you like sports? Not really. I do have a black belt in Shotokan Karate.

Family: I have them, yes.

How did you find this website? I was trying to find whether this weird thing I did today is an ASD thing and stumbled upon this site. It was.

Job: Science Teacher

Plans for the future? Plenty ;) I love my life.

Any comments?

JoeNavy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2017, 9:05 am

Twerkalurk wrote:
Why are you here? I want to know why it's so clear to me that I have Aspergers, it's been diagnosed, but somehow everyone (especially family members) refuses to believe that I have it. Am I different from the rest of you? I don't think I am, you tell me.

While I am still working on getting my own diagnosis, I have 2 kids that are already diagnosed on the spectrum. The hue and cry, against the autism diagnosis for my son, was so intense from my wife's family that she resisted therapy and treatment for him for more than 2 years. My oldest daughter was not diagnosed until she developed social anxiety disorder, panic disorder and tremors, about the time she started college. It still took the military medical system almost 7 years to finally get her tested and the provisional diagnosis of AS from her doctor to be confirmed, even though they just call it HFA now.
I am in the process of getting tested for autism. I was diagnosed with an unspecified personality disorder, specifically regarding interpersonal relationships when I was in service. I had an epiphany that I might be on the spectrum about 2 years ago. When I told my wife this, she informed me that she had suspected that I might be autistic ever since she was informed of the signs and symptoms of autism when my son was diagnosed. She and my daughter then asked me what took me so long to figure it out. Since then I have had confirmation of an ADHD diagnosis, as well as an unspecified learning disability. The psychiatrist wants me tested to rule out or confirm autism. I took an unofficial copy of that official test the RAADS-R and scored well into the standard deviation of scores that would indicate autism, I think is was an overall 187, but I don't have that paper with me right now. The one thing that does not really fit is that I don't seem to have an obsessive interest, except maybe history, warfare, and developing an understanding of women (I know that the last one is a lost cause, but with 4 daughters, I have had a better chance at it than most).Sorry this is so long-winded. I tend to ramble, as well as go around my a**hole to get to my elbow as my grandfather would have said. To conclude, there are plenty of us that deal with disbelief and rejection of the facts from our families. My father has not really accepted that 2 of my kids are on the spectrum and flatly denies that I may be, even though he had to know something was different about me. I was placed in special education classes in elementary school, but was given an IQ test (for the gifted and talented program) when I was a teenager and even though my overall score qualified me by being more than 2 standard deviations above the norm, my area/scale scores looked like someone had fired a shotgun blast at a piece of paper.
I once had a doctor (general practice doctor, shortly after my epiphany) tell me, that because I can make eye contact, I can't have autism, even though eye contact is something I have forced myself to do since I was a child, and it is still a source of misunderstandings and creeping people out because I am not aware that I stepped over the line into staring until people get scared and avoid me. It wasn't until I was interviewed by a social worker with the VA that I was finally able to see a psychiatrist, and he put in a referral for the testing, for which I am now waiting for the insurance company to call me back.
People that haven't lived it or sincerely tried to learn, about it and you, aren't going to understand because it is not convenient to do so. They may have to shift their own perceptions of you. And as an adult with coping skills in place, your apparent normalcy will allow them to continue to deny the need to understand. The best solution in my eyes is to educate them in a very blunt, fact based way. Shock their system a bit, it is what finally worked with my wife's family regarding my son. Sorry for the long post, that question really strikes a chord with me.

Twerkalurk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Dec 2017, 11:07 am

JoeNavy wrote:

I once had a doctor (general practice doctor, shortly after my epiphany) tell me, that because I can make eye contact, I can't have autism, even though eye contact is something I have forced myself to do since I was a child, and it is still a source of misunderstandings and creeping people out because I am not aware that I stepped over the line into staring until people get scared and avoid me. It wasn't until I was interviewed by a social worker with the VA that I was finally able to see a psychiatrist, and he put in a referral for the testing, for which I am now waiting for the insurance company to call me back.
People that haven't lived it or sincerely tried to learn, about it and you, aren't going to understand because it is not convenient to do so. They may have to shift their own perceptions of you. And as an adult with coping skills in place, your apparent normalcy will allow them to continue to deny the need to understand. The best solution in my eyes is to educate them in a very blunt, fact based way. Shock their system a bit, it is what finally worked with my wife's family regarding my son. Sorry for the long post, that question really strikes a chord with me.

Thanks for the reply, no worries on the length :)
I think this has a lot to do with it. I can maintain eye contact in person and I've grown up going to important social events, so my professional dialogue is potentially flawless. However, if anyone sees me outside of a professional setting, I think it's very obvious. I am quite different from the average person and I always have been. I think my mom's head just thinks about the "can you socialize part?" and stops. Which wouldn't even fit me that well because, again, outside of a professional setting or intimate family I'm useless. I'm also extremely gifted (I was a gifted child in a school for gifted children). So she 1) refuses to think that I can have something severely wrong with me due to my intelligence and success and 2) believes that, once diagnosed, people use their diagnostic as an excuse for behavior rather than a means of knowing how to improve. Which is fair.

joemamaugly
Raven
Raven

02 Dec 2017, 7:52 pm

What is your first name? Larry
Why are you here? I lost my fiancee she and her son both had Asperger's. In my search to find out why it looks like I too have Asperger's. i hope to have a real diagnosis soon but it's proving VERY difficult.
Favorite music:
TV shows/Movies: NO TV
Do you like sports? No
Family: 2 children
How did you find this website? trying to find out all I can about what is wrong with me I came across this site more than once.
Plans for the future? get answers, understand better, and fix whats not working

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 1:25 pm

I don't have a television either, Larry. Can't afford the licence/license and don't watch it anyway.

joemamaugly
Raven
Raven

04 Dec 2017, 7:58 pm

MamaFrankie5259 wrote:
I don't have a television either, Larry. Can't afford the licence/license and don't watch it anyway.

I own A TV it's not been plugged in in 2 years. I don't really see the need to watch it and it keeps us closer as a family

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 3:29 pm

What is your first name? Emmet

Hobbies and Interests: Zen Buddhism, meditation, Tai Chi, shinrin yoku, chado

Why are you here? support

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): 12/17

Favorite subjects: emergency medicine/rescue

Year/Grade: N/A

Favorite music: Silence

Books:

TV shows/Movies: no

Instrument: bagpipes

Do you like sports? no

Family: my Beloved, 2 dogs, 1 cat

Clothing: only if I have to

How did you find this website? web search

Job: disabled. Formerly firefighter/paramedic

Plans for the future? to be the best possible mate to my lover

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 4:56 pm

What is your first name?
Katrina

Hobbies and Interests: Crochet, Books, Biological Sciences, Herbalism, Religion/Philosophy

Why are you here?
To learn more about Autism, engage with fellow NDs, and hopefully to make friends with similar interests for once.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): Misdiagnosed several times, over the last 15 years. Pending new diagnosis.

Favorite subjects: Biology, anatomy, botany, herbalism, some chemistry, philosophy

Year/Grade: graduate, some college

Favorite music: A little bit of everything, but I can always listen to Sade, Anita Baker, and smooth jazz.

Books: HP, lesser known Stephen King novels, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, Memoirs of A Geisha, HHGTTG, Stephanie Plum series

TV shows/Movies: Atypical, Futurama, Cowboy Bebop, Spongebob, LOTR, Benny and Joon, Silver Linings Playbook, Deadpool, Suicide Squad, Jackass (movies and TV), Hamlet 2, Guy Richie films, Little Miss Sunshine, Kill Bill, Miyazaki's works, The Fountain, Mortal Kombat, Rob Zombie's movies, Matrix, Inside Man, Girlfight, Monty Python, etc...

Instrument: Violin (can't play anymore, arthritis)

Do you like sports?
Sometimes.

Family: Hub, 3 cats and 1 dog. Mother and a Sister. In-laws. LOTS of in-laws.

Clothing: Comfortable 90%, Pretty 10%. Mostly lounge pants or jeans, some leggings. T-shirts and hoodies.

How did you find this website?
During my hyperfocus autism research.

Job: n/a. I keep the house, pay the bills, and take care of the cats and dog. I can't hold down a job, I overwhelm and burnout/meltdown 2-3 months into every job I've ever had.

Plans for the future?
That's ambitious. I tend not to focus on the future, aside from necessary safe-guards, and prefer to place my attention in the present.

Any comments?
I am a Bookwyrm.

I am a Bookwyrm.

Last edited by LittleCoyoteKat on 31 Dec 2017, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.