Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

vandire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Mar 2007, 2:53 pm

Kon ban wa.

Hi. I am new here, obvious enough as that is. (why else would I post a thread like this?) My name is Kyle, though I prefer to go by the alias of Vandire. I have a mild case of aspergers, though my parents never told me until I confronted them about it.

My interests include japanese, martial arts, anime and computers. My dislikes include a large number of people I meet, disorganisation, and social pressure.

As for why I'm convinced I have aspergers despite not being officialy diagnosed- everything. It just stood out as obvious to me ever since I found out what aspergers is, and everything I have learnt since them seems to reaffirm that. And thats about it.

In short, Hi ^_^

Selo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2007, 3:00 pm

Irashai, Vandire-san! I'm actually studying Japanese, too, so it's great to have someone around to talk with... sugoi desu, ne? I hope you enjoy your stay here and have fun! ^^

vandire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Mar 2007, 3:05 pm

Hai, nihongoga sugoi desu. Demo, mada watashiwa jozu ja arimasen.

Soshite anatawa?

(I hope that makes sense. It should mean "Yes, japanese is cool. But I'm not very skilled yet. And yourself? but I'll readily admit my japanese is rather substandard, so I'm expecting mistakes on my part)

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 3:13 pm

Hey! I'm studying Japanese,too. :D

-SpaceCase

Vegasadelphia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2007, 3:19 pm

Welcome to WP!

Anime and manga fan too!

vandire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Mar 2007, 3:20 pm

It's somewhat premature to say this, but perhaps it is a fairly common trend amongst people with aspergers?

I'm definitely surprised that the first 2 responses have said they study japanese, as compared to other forums where people looking to increase their post count simply say "hi".

Selo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2007, 3:25 pm

vandire wrote:
Soshite anatawa?

My Japanese is way simpler than yours... I know enough for a few basic conversations, but since I'm not taking a class and just learning from a few books and stuff I pick up from anime, I'm not learning at a very fast pace. Memorizing hiragana is my focus right now, but I do speak what I know every day.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 3:32 pm

Major anime fan here, only problem is i don't know a WORD of Japanese!

But i do know stuff like honorifics and such. My friend taught me that.

Welcome to WP!

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

vandire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Mar 2007, 3:33 pm

For learning Japanese, I use pimsleur. Basically its a 20 minute audio session that you should listen to, and talk along with, once a day. I think it's something that should be bought, but since nowhere in my city seems to sell it, I've had to resort to downloading it.

Also, for memorising Hiragana and katakana, try downloading Slime Forest- its a free game thats developed on donations, that works on the same principle as flash cards. Though, I only know about 5 symbols, as I never get round to practicing this.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 3:41 pm

You avatar is cute...love it...

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Mushroom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2007, 3:47 pm

Warning: I'm near-intermediate level.

Konbanwa, vandire-san! Hajimemashite. Watashi mo nihongo o totemo suki! Demo, sensei wa nihon e yotei kara, ima jibun de nihongo o benkyou shinakereba naranai. Watashi wa anime o mita koto ga nai kedo, nihon no bunka to bideo-geemu ga suki.

Selo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2007, 3:49 pm

vandire wrote:
For learning Japanese, I use pimsleur. Basically its a 20 minute audio session that you should listen to, and talk along with, once a day.

I do have a 4-disc program for learning Japanese, though I barely ever use it because I'm too preoccupied with homework or playing around online. I use it little enough that I forget most of what I learned in between, and it's on another computer. I would like to try out other stuff like Pimsleur, but my computer's sound system is messed up in ways you wouldn't believe, so any audio = iie. Taihen desu D:

vandire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Mar 2007, 3:51 pm

That really is a shame. Hearing a language at a beginners pace makes a lot of difference, especially when you consider all the different inflections you find in anime- even differences like -san/-han threw me off at first, despite that having the same meaning. Darn countrysiders.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 7:17 pm

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 9:53 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet, vandire. I'm RedMage, the fan of Meta-Knight.

I love the Japanese culture, but I don't know the language.

sternn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Mar 2007, 11:42 pm

I took two semesters of Japanese in college, and I have to say it was the first class I'd taken in over a year in which I felt like I was really learning something interesting. We had an awesome teacher, too.

I was about to graduate, so I wouldn't be able to take the second year of the course, though. I was, however, able to participate in a Study Abroad course for the summer in Hokkaido (My university's town has a sister city there). At the time, I was considering becoming an English teacher in Japan, but fate took me on different course. The month I spent there was awesome. I even got to live with a host family during that time.

I still dream about going back, if the opportunity presented itself.