Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Q: Where is your residence based? A: In a...
City 30%  30%  [ 35 ]
City 30%  30%  [ 35 ]
Town 13%  13%  [ 15 ]
Town 13%  13%  [ 15 ]
Village 5%  5%  [ 6 ]
Village 5%  5%  [ 6 ]
Hamlet 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Hamlet 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 116

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 12:12 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 12:29 pm

I live in a town of around 65,000, which is part of the City of Bradford Metropolitan District (population c.490,000). It is on the edge of the West Yorkshire conurbation (population c.2.2 million) - In one direction is open moorland, in the other you can travel as far as the other side of Leeds about 25 miles away without leaving a built up area.

Dunc (geography geek) :nerdy:

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 12:38 pm

I live in cthulu's crib. He needed help paying rent.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 1:34 pm

deleted

Last edited by ascan on 30 Oct 2005, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 1:43 pm

Small city with a metro area population of about 250,000

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 3:01 pm

I live along the western shore of lake michigan in the country side. I live a few miles away from the nearest city with has a population of 34,454

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 3:10 pm

I gather the definition of a city differs also between Britain and North America. I don't entirely understand the US definition - could someone clarify it for me? In the UK cities were originally those places which had cathedrals - hence small towns like Ely, Ripon and St.Davids are cities. In latter years city status was granted by the Government to many larger metropolitan areas which were not originally cities. However generally cities here other than old anomalies have a population over 100,000, and we have towns with populations up to 200,000 which still do not have city status.

Dunc :?:

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 4:16 pm

duncvis wrote:
I gather the definition of a city differs also between Britain and North America. I don't entirely understand the US definition - could someone clarify it for me?
Dunc :?:

Sure thing. In the US, A city is also a "city" much as the British definition of City. However, The city can also be seen as larger Metropolitan, or "Greater"area. The City of course being the Prime area.
For example, the town that I come from, Portland, Maine. The City of Portland by itself is only 64,000 in population. However, when you take in to account Govermentally autonomous Suburbs and "Bedroom" communities such as:
South Portland
Deering
Westbrook
Gorham
Cape Elizabeth
Scarborough
Falmouth
Windham
The Population of the Greater Portland Area is (According to the City's website) rounded off at 230,000

rumio
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jul 2005, 5:10 pm

I live in Manchester, UK which last time I looked was most definitely a city.

Note to duncvis: I lived a while in Hebden Bridge and my daughter currently lives with her mother just outside Todmorden. I dare say you are familiar with both these places.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 5:15 pm

It's hard to say whether I live in a city or a town. I know in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. First of all, when I think of the concept of city, my hometown of St. Louis is a definite reference point. Chicago, Illinois; Los Angeles, California; San Francisco, California; New York, New York; Washington, D.C.; London, England; Paris, France; Tokyo, Japan; Mexico City, Mexico; Moscow, Russia; Jerusalem, Israel/Palestine; and Rome, Italy, also definitely fit this concept. For me, this concept of city fits the whole urbanized region and does not necessarily coincide with political boundaries. Thus, I can say the city I am from is St. Louis, Missouri.

As my knowledge grew, I realized cities weren't just the densely populated areas with tall skyscrapers at their center and rings of rundown buildings around those. They are also local areas of jurisdiction. You can see "City Limit" signs alongside the road for many small cities in the middle of no where. Numerous cities bump up next to one another in the highly developed metropolitan areas in the United States of America.

A third conception of city I have is in relation to suburbs and country. The city is the oldest part with the rundown buildings, skyscrapers, and attractions. Around that are the suburbs, where the streets are wider and the buildings not as tall. Beyond this is the country, that seemingly endless stretch of farmland, patches of trailers, small towns, and woodlands beyond the urbanized area.

I live in an unincorporated part of St. Louis County, Missouri, which means I do not live in any kind of municipality or city jurisdictionally. I might call the specific suburb I live in a town, but there aren't any formally defined boundaries for it since urbanized parts of the St. Louis area that go by other names blend into it.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 5:17 pm

I live in an area small enough to be a town, but due to its size, it is considered a city.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 5:50 pm

Country town of about 30,000. Don't know whether it's a village or a hamlet - it's quaint.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 5:53 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
It's hard to say whether I live in a city or a town. I know in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. First of all, when I think of the concept of city, my hometown of St. Louis is a definite reference point. Chicago, Illinois; Los Angeles, California; San Francisco, California; New York, New York; Washington, D.C.; London, England; Paris, France; Tokyo, Japan; Mexico City, Mexico; Moscow, Russia; Jerusalem, Israel/Palestine; and Rome, Italy, also definitely fit this concept. For me, this concept of city fits the whole urbanized region and does not necessarily coincide with political boundaries. Thus, I can say the city I am from is St. Louis, Missouri.

As my knowledge grew, I realized cities weren't just the densely populated areas with tall skyscrapers at their center and rings of rundown buildings around those. They are also local areas of jurisdiction. You can see "City Limit" signs alongside the road for many small cities in the middle of no where. Numerous cities bump up next to one another in the highly developed metropolitan areas in the United States of America.

A third conception of city I have is in relation to suburbs and country. The city is the oldest part with the rundown buildings, skyscrapers, and attractions. Around that are the suburbs, where the streets are wider and the buildings not as tall. Beyond this is the country, that seemingly endless stretch of farmland, patches of trailers, small towns, and woodlands beyond the urbanized area.

I live in an unincorporated part of St. Louis County, Missouri, which means I do not live in any kind of municipality or city jurisdictionally. I might call the specific suburb I live in a town, but there aren't any formally defined boundaries for it since urbanized parts of the St. Louis area that go by other names blend into it.

I thought a city was any town that has a cathedral. Is this the same all over the world?

edit - only in England, I now know.

Mayall
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2005, 6:29 pm

AntiEverything wrote:
I live in a village.

Me too

BrianR
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2005, 10:52 pm

Wow, I had never heard the concept of a cathedral defining a city vs. a town. And yes I am American. The word is obviously used differently here. As I understand it (and this may only really apply to the less densely populated portions of the Western U.S.) a city is bigger than a town, but the comparison is relative. For example, the city of Twin Falls, Idaho is the biggest urban entity in its area with a population of about 30,000 (I think). The smaller towns surrounding Twin Falls and town just because they are smaller and geographically separate from the city. Shopping malls and office buildings are located in the city. If you want to go to the mall, you drive into the city.

I actually live in the suburbs of Denver, Colorado. The city I reside in has a population of about 80,000, but it is really just an extension of Denver. Because of its size and connectedness to Denver it is also considered a city. Once you leave the metro are and get into small farming communities that are sepate from the metro area and culturally self sufficient, then they are called towns. I am not aware of any formal political definition that destinguishes a city from a town. And we don't even use the words village or hamlet (except in referring to communities in other countries).

Very interesting...

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 10:56 pm

Sh1tcago, Hellinois, here... :wink:

~Steve Jobs