Just How Introverted (or Extraverted) Are You?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2005, 12:58 am

In my opinion, probably one of the biggest factors in relating to people is how introverted or extraverted they are relative to you. It can lead to many misunderstandings if the parties involved differ significantly in their level of introversion/extraversion. Relative to the population norm, I am quite introverted. Introverts need to "recharge" more than extraverts; too much activity wears them out, as strange as that may sound. Apparently, they are also better at spotting differences whereas extraverts are better at seeing commonalities. Anyway, even a high introvert can feel bored in the company of an extreme introvert.

I honestly am not sure if all those personality tests that rate me moderately high on introversion are completely accurate. Supporting introversion, yes, I am an analytical person. I do notice some things that most people don't. I sometimes do feel uncomfortable in social situations. Supporting extraversion, in contrast, I am always bored. In times of stress, I direct myself "outward" (unfortunately, complaining has been among these coping mechanisms) or, after prolonged stress, become agitated and very frustrated. I do make some attempts to change myself (as in attitude and expanding my interests and trying to increase my self-esteem) enough to make friends although it never works well enough. I do like to try new things sometimes; I don't like routine (but admittedly I still need it to accomplish anything beyond short bursts of creativity).

Where on the introversion-extraversion continuum do you lie? What are your thoughts on this subject?

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2005, 11:30 am

I've always landed somewhere in the middle on online tests, but closer to introversion. It realy depends on whom I'm with.

mathogre
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2005, 1:43 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Where on the introversion-extraversion continuum do you lie?

I'm extremely introverted.

At the moment I'm in a six story office building, essentially all by myself. It is empty, save the occasional security person. I love it! I've made it so that more than half of my work hours are outside the Normal Work Schedule. For example, 10 hours of my work week are now on Saturdays. Whee!! !! !!

I go for walks around midnight most every night. I walk 1.5 miles. There's usually no one around. Yay!! !! !! !

I couldn't even consider ever carpooling. For a short time I carpooled with my wife. Thank goodness it didn't last, the carpooling, not the marriage.

Mark
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2005, 1:59 pm

I'm very introverted, unless I'm talking about something which I'm interested in when I think I'm suddenly very extroverted. Try stopping me telling everyone about all of the wonderfull opportunities and things of interest! It's not a terribly interactive kind of extroversion, however...

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2005, 4:23 pm

One good way to tell whether you're an extravert is if you like rollercoaster rides. I don't. However, some of the things I do, like bike riding, are probably technically at least as dangerous. It probably has something to do with being in control and thus feeling safer.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2005, 5:42 pm

I'm the most introverted person I know IRL. Before I got a job after a year of being out of work, it was common for me to go days without seeing or talking to anyone....and I loved it. No expectations put on me to behave a certain way, no one's vibes interfering with my emotions and no worrying about my grooming, it was great.

But now, I'm back at work, even carpooling with a co-worker who's, thankfully, a free spirit outside the norm herself, accepts and even admires my peculiararities. My other co-workers are nice too, though it's still draining to suddenly be around people for 10 hours a day.

The girl I carpool with, who's into alternative ways of living (like me)and who's even spent some time living abroad, asked me if I wanted to go Salsa dancing with her this weekend. As much as I wanted to spend time with her, I knew being in a loud club trying to socialize with others for hours wouldn't be fun for me plus, with my dyspraxia, I can't dance to save my life. So I, regretfully, had to turn her down. :(

I just hope she didn't take it as me not wanting to be around her but a part of my makeup. She's also the only person, other than my mother, whom I told about my AS and she was very receptive and curious about it. My worry is our opposite temperments may get in the way and she'll think it's too much of a strain to acommodate my need for solitude.

adversarial
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2005, 12:01 am

Apart from the fact that I prefer being on my own, I am hesitant to put a label of 'introvert' on myself. OK, so it has allegedly 'negative' connotations, but it is not that which bothers me so much.

I have taken more than my fare share of 'mood barometer' tests on the internet, and they have unformly and unambiguously stated something along the lines of 'introvert'. This is the point at which my scepticism tends to take over.

You will note that I refer to so-called 'personality tests' as 'mood barometers' and I do this quite deliberately. One reason for this is that the reactions demanded have to be quick and without introspection or analysis. Another reason is that the psycyological underpinnings seem questionable and the scientific veracity simply does not seem to be there. Even allowing for a greater degree of 'confidence' on the basis of the numbers of people taking the tests, there is still the fact that some people will try to answer the test in a manner that they hope will produce the evaluation they hope for.

By preference and temperament, I would probably qualify as being quite highly introverted, though my view of these tests remains, ultimately, quite sceptical. This does not mean that I am not open to discussion about them, rather, it means that at the moment I am inclined to look upon these tests with a degree of scepticism.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2005, 12:59 am

adversarial wrote:
Apart from the fact that I prefer being on my own, I am hesitant to put a label of 'introvert' on myself. OK, so it has allegedly 'negative' connotations, but it is not that which bothers me so much.

I have taken more than my fare share of 'mood barometer' tests on the internet, and they have unformly and unambiguously stated something along the lines of 'introvert'. This is the point at which my scepticism tends to take over.

You will note that I refer to so-called 'personality tests' as 'mood barometers' and I do this quite deliberately. One reason for this is that the reactions demanded have to be quick and without introspection or analysis. Another reason is that the psycyological underpinnings seem questionable and the scientific veracity simply does not seem to be there. Even allowing for a greater degree of 'confidence' on the basis of the numbers of people taking the tests, there is still the fact that some people will try to answer the test in a manner that they hope will produce the evaluation they hope for.

By preference and temperament, I would probably qualify as being quite highly introverted, though my view of these tests remains, ultimately, quite sceptical. This does not mean that I am not open to discussion about them, rather, it means that at the moment I am inclined to look upon these tests with a degree of scepticism.

Probably. Extreme analysis is apparently characteristic of introversion. Extroverts go by instinct.

ajs_line_of_silver
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2005, 9:19 am

like NeantHumain i display lots of introvert behaves and quite a few extrovert behaves. When I am surrounded by people I trust only in an environment I am safe place I am us to I am very loud talk a lot dance do unsafe things for fun. But if not complete “safe” (I am very paranoid person) I retreat into a shell and am quite happy to continued with no social interaction for as long as it lasts. When I am stress but cant complete get away I tend to sit in my room doing nothing for a long time after being out before I can even get the energy to reed or watch tv.

jb814
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2005, 9:20 am

Mark wrote:
I'm very introverted, unless I'm talking about something which I'm interested in when I think I'm suddenly very extroverted. Try stopping me telling everyone about all of the wonderfull opportunities and things of interest! It's not a terribly interactive kind of extroversion, however...

Ditto, obsessive when I talk "not there" when I don't. If it wasn't for this forum and the psychiatrist I'd have been abot 3 months without a conversation of more than 5/6 sentences. Diagnosis made me very aware of my tendancy to railroad conversation, I just don't know how to deal with that yet.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2005, 2:49 pm

I am technically an introvert, but when around certain people (and only a few people) I can become quite extroverted. The main difference between introverts and extroverts are that introverts get their energy from themselves and extroverts get their energy from being around other people. I have gotten to the point where I can act extroverted for a while (up to a few hours at a time!), but then I need lots of time alone to recharge. :)

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2005, 5:24 pm

I am extremely introverted. Being alone is my natural state.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2005, 8:07 pm

I am more an introverted person because I tend to spend (or like to spend) time by myself thinking and doing work. I can, however, be an extroverted person on days in which I feel good, and/or when I am around people that I know; so I am introverted most of the time. I also tend to break my ruitine in the day a little bit, but not too much, since I do actually like a little bit of change, but not so much so often; I like being introverted, but at times I feel alone on the inside, but as an introvert I do get work done in class a little faster than those who are extremely extroverted in the classroom setting, which could be an advantage.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 10:31 am

With my friends I'm a happy medium, and will also be such with people I take an instant liking to (which doesn't happen very often I have to say.) However the rest of the time I'm an introvert (although not painfully shy) which is good in situations where I'm on my own at school - it means I can get work done. It doesn't help when being elsewhere on my own though - I went to visit my friend a few weeks ago, and had to take a 6-hour coach journey to see her. On the way there the lady who sat next to me occasionally spoke to me but mostly kept to herself, which I liked. However on the way back the elderly lady sitting next to me started talking to me quite soon inot the journey, and didn't really stop, and I started to feel really uncomfortable because without being rude, I just did not want to talk to her. Also she was extremely softly-spoken and I was worn out with having to lip-read her all the time, which didn't help. But for the main part of life I like being me :)

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 1:47 pm

Lately Ive been extremely introverted and over the summer I dont think I really talked to anyone outside of the family (barring online communications of course.) And I havent gotten much better since coming back to school but I think that might somewhat be due to a severe lack of sleep and the fact that I still have a roommate (and also my new motto is "I would have a nervous breakdown but I dont have the time" which could play a part in it.")

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2005, 1:52 pm

Well, on the Myers-Briggs I had all introvert answers and no extravert answers. So I guess that means I'm pretty introverted.