How we deal with racism and hate speech on Wrong Planet

Page 14 of 19 [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 6:44 pm

A boong is a derogatory term for an Australian Aboriginal.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 6:49 pm

That’s what I want, too—equality.

I’ve been at my job almost 40 years. Most of my co-workers are either black or Hispanic. My supervisor is black.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 7:09 pm

alex wrote:
Just going to say that I'm going to be removing myself from this discussion. I've laid out the rules in the first post and I think any further discussion is just going to be me repeating myself. If in the future you have an issue where you think someone is unfairly calling you a racist, please feel free to make a report and I'm sure the moderators or I will be able to look into it to determine if it's said for no reason, just to inflame things, or actually in response to something that is viewed as racist.

Thank you , this tread just quit feeling productive soon after you posted the initial post con: rules imho

where ever you go ,there you are

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 11:25 pm

This really isn't complicated and shouldn't be controversial. Racist words are not to be used, racist imagery is not to be used.

If a post seems racist, it is better if you say 'that sounds racist' rather than 'you are racist'. But if someone in the heat of the moment says the latter, they will not be in trouble over it.

There have been some threads in the past where a few men expressed misogynist views and some of the women got really upset and when they reacted, they went too far out of frustration, and the threads would get locked and no action taken beyond that. While still not perfect, that situation is better now than it was

So I think it's a good thing if the actual problem will be dealt with now, so maybe we can deal better with racism on here than we have sexism.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Aug 2020, 6:01 am

Lots of really good notes here.

I think my main takeaway from Alex’s list of suggested rules will be that if someone genuinely says something racist, then someone calling them a racist in response is not an issue.

I do think it is preferable to say “what you said is racist” to “you’re a racist” or something like that, and would encourage users to always focus criticism on the behaviour rather than the individual. But at the same time, if a user sincerely feels they are witnessing racism then they need to be given a little leeway.

That doesn’t mean people can raise racism in other threads, or can just fabricate accusations to bully a user or anything like that. And of course we can’t expect people to arrive here fully-formed, aware of every dogwhistle and every problematic phrase. While malicious racism absolutely must not be tolerated, it is thankfully rare. The bigger problem is ignorant racism, which must be firmly but kindly corrected. Most people don’t respond well to angry accusations.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 6:08 am

The_Walrus wrote:

I think my main takeaway from Alex’s list of suggested rules will be that if someone genuinely says something racist, then someone calling them a racist in response is not an issue.

One of the reasons I don't go in PPR anymore is because I feel I can't simply use my critical thinking skills without being attacked, from an emotional perspective, by someone else. Liberals tend to be more emotionally inclined than moderates, based on my experience.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 6:29 am

Skilpadde wrote:
This really isn't complicated and shouldn't be controversial. Racist words are not to be used, racist imagery is not to be used.

If a post seems racist, it is better if you say 'that sounds racist' rather than 'you are racist'. But if someone in the heat of the moment says the latter, they will not be in trouble over it.

There have been some threads in the past where a few men expressed misogynist views and some of the women got really upset and when they reacted, they went too far out of frustration, and the threads would get locked and no action taken beyond that. While still not perfect, that situation is better now than it was

So I think it's a good thing if the actual problem will be dealt with now, so maybe we can deal better with racism on here than we have sexism.

Would they not be in trouble if they said "you are a thief" or "you are a child molester" or you are a pedophile" to the same degree?

Unjust accusation without evidence should be treated in a uniform manner.

So, hypothetically, a member can call another member a racist 24/7 with no repercussions whatsoever with no substantial evidence? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmm...welcome to la la land.

A. Racist racist racist racist racist racist racist racist racist racist racist.

B. Leave me alone you f....ing a$$hole I'm not a racist!

B gets banned for personal attack.

Last edited by Teach51 on 26 Aug 2020, 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 6:38 am

I don't think people should accuse anyone of anytype of wrong doing racist or otherwise unless they have the evidence to back it up.

False accusations are far greater problem on this site than are racist remarks.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 6:53 am

The truth about WP is the way it's members treat each other.
Making it all about race is just an attempt to distract from the truth of the hate that WP members have for each other.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 7:09 am

Skilpadde wrote:

+1

Teach51 wrote:

Teach! You're using Ferris's expressions now? WTF dude!

I hold the opposite view, maybe I'm in a minority of one or maybe I'm part of the silent majority, it's hard to ascertain in the current climate of heckling.

I don't take issue with the guidelines or see the need to pull them apart with hypotheticals, they're clearly taylored to the problems we're facing and other issues can be dealt with if and when they arise, which frankly seems very unlikely.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 7:24 am

domineekee wrote:

"Dudess", dude. :mrgreen:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 7:27 am

Dudette?

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 7:29 am

Pepe wrote:
domineekee wrote:

Thank you comrade!

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 7:29 am

domineekee wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:

+1

Teach51 wrote:

I hold the opposite view, maybe I'm in a minority of one or maybe I'm part of the silent majority, it's hard to ascertain in the current climate of heckling.

I don't take issue with the guidelines or see the need to pull them apart with hypotheticals, they're clearly taylored to the problems we're facing and other issues can be dealt with if and when they arise, which frankly seems very unlikely.

Lol I didn't know this is Ferris's expression :lol:
I think Californian air can make some people suffer from hyper-liberalism that is so extreme that it becomes toxic and intolerant of opposing views.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 7:30 am

domineekee wrote:
Pepe wrote:
domineekee wrote:

Thank you comrade!

Your Royal Highness Dudess please......

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 7:32 am

It still amazes me that Americans continue to call it liberal, when it is so far removed from that concept that it's laughable.