Some questions about the moderation team

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2020, 4:13 am

^Trump would say I'm a very smart cookie,
And I would agree with him. :mrgreen:

I have a very good grasp of human psychology, so intelligent my brain needs to be pushed back into my ear sockets with a Q-Tip, and I am around 3 times the age of some of the mods here, *and* modest to hell, to boot. 8)
I don't think it unreasonable to think my life wisdom has merit. :wink:

I think I have a point here somewhere. :scratch:
Ahh, yes:
I do wish there was a better feedback system on this website.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2020, 6:30 am

Pepe wrote:

Yes Pepe, you are fantabulous!
Members like you help to balance out the brain drain that occurred around the time Tallyman, Cornflake and GPViper left.
That is an honest observation.

Forgot to ask...
Any suggestions on how feedback could be made a viable part of WP membership and moderation?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Jun 2020, 6:55 am

The guidance moderators have been given is that we shouldn’t publicly note when we have edited posts as this could be humiliating for users, almost like a mark of shame.

I personally don’t really agree with this, for the reasons that you have laid out, Tomatoes. But other mods might do things differently, and if there’s any doubt then going “by the book” is usually sensible. That ensures fairness, a degree of consistency, and it also outsources some of the decision so users don’t need to worry about mod bias and so forth.

As you have expressed a preference to have it clearly noted that your posts have been edited, I’ll edit your post to add that in.

Edit: nvm, the post in question has been deleted.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2020, 11:00 pm

Amity wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Yes Pepe, you are fantabulous!
Members like you help to balance out the brain drain that occurred around the time Tallyman, Cornflake and GPViper left.
That is an honest observation.

Forgot to ask...
Any suggestions on how feedback could be made a viable part of WP membership and moderation?

Yes, I am fantabulous. <beam> 8)
The problem is, many choose not to see my brilliance.
Their loss. 8)

Regarding improving the feedback system:
That entirely depends on the people in charge.
If they are not interested, there is nothing anyone can do about it.

One suggestion is to bring the discussion into the "Members Only" forum.
Then there must be a willingness to allow free/open/honest discussions.

A simpler, less democratic method would be to bring it into private mail.
Not the best solution, by a long shot.

Damn,
I luv my brain. <sigh> :heart: :mrgreen:

Tomatoes
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jun 2020, 7:44 am

Amity wrote:
^I've posted feedback and ideas at different points in time, though usually when there is or has been a "situation". Of note though, even if I'm emotionally outraged, I dont put my own lack of emotional regulation onto anyone else. People need to own their emotional states and not put that responsibility onto others.

I mean it's a community approach and I like the idea of active citizenship, part of that is discussion, feedback that works both ways.
One thing that I find repugnant, more so than biased censorship is the attack style of "feedback", its unacceptable to treat volunteers in this way.

It achieves nowt but bad outcomes.

Honestly I think its best to air things in the open, accountability for all. At this point protecting individuals may have swung too far and could be causing harm to the whole, including the voluntary mod team.

We see inconsistencies, they see individual private details that cant be made public.

Feedback that works both ways could be a better way to address issues, it certainly would provide context and help WP citizens to understand how the rules have been applied and not be swayed by the abuse of populist approaches.

This could give space back to the genuine grievances to be dealt with openly.

Okay, so I wrote a long comment, and then the stupid website made me do a Recaptcha test. But a Bad Request error made my comment disappear. Yes, it's something that happen. I prefer Facebook and Twitter. Less censorship, professional programming, a wide, rich and diverse community, and the freedom to be myself without ridiculous retributions. This is really a wrong planet for me...

Goodbye, Alex Plank. Hope you still enjoy your life.

Au revoir.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Jun 2020, 8:15 am

^ That isn't censorship but an administrative glitch that happens now and then and you were just unlucky. I've had it happen to me too but not recently.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Tomatoes
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jun 2020, 8:34 am

Yes I know it's not censorship. It did not even cross my mind. My allusion about censorship doesn't come from this glitch, but from something else.

When Facebook censor me, they tell me why they censor me. The first time they did that, was in 2018.
They censored a post of my that consisted of ONLY the flag of Montreal. It's not a joke. I even have the screenshots to prove it !

My problem is not even with censorship. Recently, I wrote a comment on MSN under a news about Quebec's new dictatorial law (bill 61). They deleted me comment. No problem, things like that happen.

But, what I despise profoundly, is when people with the ability to do so, edit what I wrote, without even acknowledging that my comment was edited by someone else than me. This behavior is called 'redaction' in the news circles. In other circles is called something else. Here on this board, ils seems it doesn't even have a name. Anyway.

You understand that this kind of behavior of modifying the content posted by the users here, without their consent nor knowledge, and without even mentioning the edition, make anything posted here potentially inadmissible (ou dans une moins large mesure, contestable) in a court of justice ?

Yes, your volunteering for ths community is remarkable. Not a lot of people have the courage to become moderator, and for such a large board as this, you need a lot of courage and integrity to do that.

My stance is not against you, or the other moderators. It's just that this kind of behaviors that made me start this thread, is very dangerous for the stability and integrity of WrongPlanet as a platform.

You did not know. You tried to do well. But I feel it is my duty to inform you that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

It's not a blame I'm doing here. I have some experience, and based on these experience, I anticipate that this specific behavior I observed is dangerous, and cannot be justified logically.

That's it, I have nothing more to say here.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 8:48 am

Thank you for all your contributions, Tomatoes.

I'm sorry if you'll be leaving and I hope you return.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 8:53 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Thank you for all your contributions, Tomatoes.  I'm sorry if you'll be leaving and I hope you return.
He'll be back.  They always come back.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 9:12 am

Fnord wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Thank you for all your contributions, Tomatoes.  I'm sorry if you'll be leaving and I hope you return.

That doesn't preclude being kind to him.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 9:13 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Fnord wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
That doesn't preclude being kind to him.
Being anything to someone who isn't around any more is just a wee bit difficult.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tomatoes
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jun 2020, 9:41 am

Thank you IsabellaLinton. Je suis vraiment touché. :heart:

( for the crazy minds out there, this song is not about suicide )

Bye.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 9:44 am

... they always come back ...

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 10:47 am

Fnord wrote:

You've been here a long time, you know that's not true. Active members - sometimes for years - have left the forum for good before. I and others miss some of them. Some even left before I joined and reading their posts makes me wish I had the chance to speak to them.

Not that it makes any difference for the OP.

Good luck, Tomatoes, in such situations you must do what you feel is best for yourself. I take regular breaks to deal with some of the issues here.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 10:59 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Fnord wrote:
You've been here a long time, you know that's not true...
I know it is, because I often check the profile pages of members who have voluntarily "left" WP, and noted how often they've logged in without posting after their alleged "departure" date.

They always come back.  Always.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 11:03 am

Tomatoes wrote:
Amity wrote:
^I've posted feedback and ideas at different points in time, though usually when there is or has been a "situation". Of note though, even if I'm emotionally outraged, I dont put my own lack of emotional regulation onto anyone else. People need to own their emotional states and not put that responsibility onto others.

I mean it's a community approach and I like the idea of active citizenship, part of that is discussion, feedback that works both ways.
One thing that I find repugnant, more so than biased censorship is the attack style of "feedback", its unacceptable to treat volunteers in this way.

It achieves nowt but bad outcomes.

Honestly I think its best to air things in the open, accountability for all. At this point protecting individuals may have swung too far and could be causing harm to the whole, including the voluntary mod team.

We see inconsistencies, they see individual private details that cant be made public.

Feedback that works both ways could be a better way to address issues, it certainly would provide context and help WP citizens to understand how the rules have been applied and not be swayed by the abuse of populist approaches.

This could give space back to the genuine grievances to be dealt with openly.

Okay, so I wrote a long comment, and then the stupid website made me do a Recaptcha test. But a Bad Request error made my comment disappear. Yes, it's something that happen. I prefer Facebook and Twitter. Less censorship, professional programming, a wide, rich and diverse community, and the freedom to be myself without ridiculous retributions. This is really a wrong planet for me...

Goodbye, Alex Plank. Hope you still enjoy your life.

Au revoir.

I'm not sure why you quoted my post, but take care :)