L & D - To What Extent Can We Discuss Gender Differences?

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 9:37 am

Of course, times have changed.

Even when women haven’t known that I was married, no woman has ever overtly expressed a romantic interest in me—except for that time when a co-worker followed me home 40 years ago.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 9:40 am

I don’t know the exact reasons for your experience, but women do ask guys out. Making this about gender excludes the experiences of many women.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 9:44 am

When people say: “most women don’t approach guys” or “it’s easier for women because…” it excludes the experience of many women. It’s as though our experience as individuals doesn’t matter because it doesn’t fit in to some supposed statistic.

Most of us have ASD and are exceptions to a variety of rules and social mores. We should be used to that way of thinking and be more inclusive in the way we approach topics.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 9:51 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Here are some reasons why I might not ask a specific guy out:

- Desperate - If I feel like a guy is primarily interested in sex rather than in me as a person, it’s going to be a no-go.

- Nothing in common

- Incompatibility (no fundamentalists or conservatives for me)

- Does not seem interested in me - Conversational skills could help here. If a guy doesn’t ask me any questions about myself, I would assume that he’s not interested.

- Boring

- No sense of humor

- Negative attitude in general and/or towards women
Why nothing about having to tell him, "My eyes are up here"?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 9:54 am

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

- Desperate - If I feel like a guy is primarily interested in sex rather than in me as a person, it’s going to be a no-go.

- Nothing in common

- Does not seem interested in me - Conversational skills could help here. If a guy doesn’t ask me any questions about myself, I would assume that he’s not interested.

- Boring

- No sense of humor

That’s a good one!

Another one would be touchy-feeliness (which is often combined with the action you mentioned). Gross.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 05 Aug 2022, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 9:55 am

I certainly didn’t say it’s “easier” for women.

I would certainly listen to a woman’s experience in this realm, and not shrug her off. Shrugging her off would be nonsense. I’m all ears!

Women have gone through lots of crap. And it’s very difficult for many women to find a suitable partner. It’s irrelevant whether women evoke overt interest from men. It doesn’t mean too much qualitatively if a woman is abused based on that interest.

Of course you know I wasn’t quoting any statistics. Just my experience.

I haven’t really evoked that sort of desire in a woman. I’m not lamenting this. That’s just the way it is. It’s my job to offset this so I could find love.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 9:56 am

I happen to value a woman’s mind much more than her physical aspects.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 9:59 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I happen to value a woman’s mind much more than her physical aspects.

I don’t think I’m following your train of thought here.

How is that applicable to the current conversation?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 10:02 am

When someone says "My eyes are up here," I interpret this to mean that the person is not emphasizing the body (below), but the mind ("up here").

It is often said to guys when they only seem to be emphasizing the body (objectification).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 10:04 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

- Nothing in common

- Boring

- No sense of humor

That’s a good one!  Another one would be touchy-feeliness (which is often combined with the action you mentioned).  Gross.
Both might fall under "Not interested in me as a person".

As a man, it always made me feel sad when it became obvious that a woman was interested in me only for my property (new car, nice house), apparent wealth (nice suit, albeit second-hand), and career/position (lead engineer).

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 10:07 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
When someone says "My eyes are up here," I interpret this to mean that the person is not emphasizing the body (below), but the mind ("up here").

It is often said to guys when they only seem to be emphasizing the body (objectification).

It’s said when a woman wants a guy to stop staring at her breasts. I’ve never said it because I think it could be dangerous.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 10:09 am

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

- Nothing in common

- Boring

- No sense of humor

That’s a good one!  Another one would be touchy-feeliness (which is often combined with the action you mentioned).  Gross.
Both might fall under "Not interested in me as a person".

As a man, it always made me feel sad when it became obvious that a woman was interested in me only for my property (new car, nice house), apparent wealth (nice suit, albeit second-hand), and career/position (lead engineer).

That would be frustrating.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 10:11 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
When someone says "My eyes are up here" . . . It is often said to guys when they only seem to be emphasizing the body (objectification).
It’s said when a woman wants a guy to stop staring at her breasts. I’ve never said it because I think it could be dangerous.
My SIL made up her eyes really glam, had a picture taken of them, and then had the picture printed on a tee-shirt.

"One way or another, they'll be lookin' at my eyes!" she said.

Last edited by Fnord on 05 Aug 2022, 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 10:11 am

That's what I said above, in essence. That the man should stop ogling the woman.

I wouldn't get all bent out of shape if a woman said this to me. Even if I wasn't actually looking at her breasts, I would concede the point.

But I can understand a woman's reticence, since there are other guys who might react too strongly to this. I can understand a woman not wanting to feel like they're going through a minefield. I wouldn't want that for myself.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 10:19 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
That's what I said above, in essence. That the man should stop ogling the woman. I wouldn't get all bent out of shape if a woman said this to me. Even if I wasn't actually looking at her breasts, I would concede the point.
A woman wouldn’t say this to you unless you were staring at her chest.

Quote:
But I can understand a woman's reticence, since there are other guys who might react too strongly to this. I can understand a woman not wanting to feel like they're going through a minefield. I wouldn't want that for myself.

It doesn’t really bother me that much anymore. Women get used to it, but most would not ask men out who did this unless they were similarly desperate for sex. I don’t fully understand this because I think masturbation would be preferable, but whatever. We’re all different, I suppose.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 10:20 am

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
When someone says "My eyes are up here" . . . It is often said to guys when they only seem to be emphasizing the body (objectification).
My SIL made up her eyes really glam, had a picture taken of them, and then had the picture printed on a tee-shirt.

"One way or another, they'll be lookin' at my eyes!" she said.

:lol: