Page 147 of 162 [ 2587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 162  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

25 Aug 2020, 12:51 am

Well there was a misunderstanding on this thread regarding lynching and the member involved felt bad about it and had no idea of the horrible context of the image he posted or the extent of the brutal history lynching but in the end it was educational. My reaction was emotional because I honestly thought at the time that he was using it to troll or something but he contacted me privately to clear things up.

And honestly I think that would be the most extreme worst case example of the kind of misunderstanding you’re talking about and as far as I know it has all worked out in the end. So I dont think there’s much to worry about

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 12:52 am

Amity wrote:
Amity wrote:
alex wrote:
Amity wrote:
Straight talking:
Alex in the space of a few days you have undone the work of thousands of man hours, you may have no heed on our work or our voices, you may take our autistic energy for granted, but that doesnt mean that I will consent to being taken for granted.

You may own the site and invest hard earned money but how you are behaving towards undoing the collective efforts of this community is callous.

How can I contribute to your efforts and heed your work? Please let me know because I would like to support that and want the community to be the best it can be.

Before I begin:
You abandoned us and that is callous, I cant trust an admin that does that.

We operated here through peer cooperation in the absence of an active admin, which is utterly amazing when you consider our apparent social disabilities.

We achieved that through informal voluntary work and a tonne of work-arounds yes regular members voluntarily donated their time to keep the peace, we kept it operational through collaboration.

You have arrived here behaving totally out of touch with the WP of today and seeming as if you are entitled to do so.
This is not the school project that you can do with as you please, this is a collaborative autistic space.

Get on board or appoint someone to do that for you.

You have ethical responsibilities to tend to at minimum.

Ok I'm keeping this process practical slimline and cost effective, however, these are the minimum if you are indeed genuine with your words:

Appoint members to assist in producing:

A clear mission statement vision and ethos.

Revision of the rules to reflect the world we live in today.

Publish mod guidelines.

Actual meaningful inclusion of the non American user base, I believe we exist in significant numbers, I am tired of us being classed as of lesser importance because I'm not in America.
Besides we broaden horizons.

Also can you put the politics in a box please in PPR, not here in this thread or section.

alex wrote:
If you don't trust the admin of the site you're on I don't know what to say. I want the site to be positive and have a great vibe. It used to have a way more positive vibe when I was around so maybe you're right about me driving things. But I have been running this site since I was a teenager so please forgive me if I try to do other things in my life to make a difference.

As far as your suggestion to publish clear guidelines, i've thought about and while I've only had a chance to post guidelines on how we deal with racism, you can check that post out in this forum. I just posted it.

As far as other countries go, that's perfectly fine. I would love to have a more international contingent here because I love other countries. I technically have dual citizenship with italy. I have roots in Ireland and germany as well.

Ack us Irish, we have always had to leave home, colonial times still leave their mark.

Ok to be clearer and more direct, so that there isnt another miscommunication, based on cyclical past performances, when there is a crisis here, you arrive, out of touch, in a rush, dont seem to care who you alienate, or how that impacts on their lives, you stay for a few weeks tops and then poof... vanished.

I dont believe you are the man for the job of Admin, we need someone who actually understands and is responsible towards the lifeline this space provides for autistic people globally.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 1:04 am

alex wrote:
Well there was a misunderstanding on this thread regarding lynching and the member involved felt bad about it and had no idea of the horrible context of the image he posted or the extent of the brutal history lynching but in the end it was educational. My reaction was emotional because I honestly thought at the time that he was using it to troll or something but he contacted me privately to clear things up.

And honestly I think that would be the most extreme worst case example of the kind of misunderstanding you’re talking about and as far as I know it has all worked out in the end. So I dont think there’s much to worry about

Okay I don't think we here were aware this was resolved, as it was a major sticking point. I'm glad you made peace him. I think myself and others were still upset at the idea that we too may make a mistake and end up on the receiving end of a similar emotional reaction.

Have you reached a similar resolution with Sly and his case of misunderstanding that it's never okay to use the n word (to recap: he'd thought it was only bad if you called someone it, but now knows that was incorrect)?

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 1:11 am

Amity wrote:
Ack us Irish, we have always had to leave home, colonial times still leave their mark.

Ok to be clearer and more direct, so that there isnt another miscommunication, based on cyclical past performances, when there is a crisis here, you arrive, out of touch, in a rush, dont seem to care who you alienate, or how that impacts on their lives, you stay for a few weeks tops and then poof... vanished.

I dont believe you are the man for the job of Admin, we need someone who actually understands and is responsible towards the lifeline this space provides for autistic people globally.

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Yes this

alex
Developer
Developer

25 Aug 2020, 1:17 am

I think perhaps you're confusing the job of admin / website owner with the job of the moderators. I'm not running around banning or warning a bunch of people people or doing much specific day to day stuff.

But ultimately, unless I sell the site to someone else, I have the overall responsibility of what happens.

I've made no directives to the moderators to ban specific people or to lock threads about specific things. I like to thing we have one of the more open forums on the internet in terms of supporting free speech while still having a positive community.

But i really got quite upset when I saw some of what was being argued about in terms of defending the use of the N word, racist imagery, etc and I've taken it on as an important issue to fix in the community.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Aug 2020, 1:19 am

alex wrote:

Glad that was resolved.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

alex
Developer
Developer

25 Aug 2020, 1:26 am

AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:
Okay I don't think we here were aware this was resolved, as it was a major sticking point. I'm glad you made peace him. I think myself and others were still upset at the idea that we too may make a mistake and end up on the receiving end of a similar emotional reaction.

I think an emotional reaction to a photo of someone being brutally tortured and burned alive for an hour is natural and I think once he realized that's what it was, he had a similar reaction. I honestly felt physically sick from seeing that and i'm sure most people would. As far as sly goes, he never reached out to me so I don't know if he realizes it was wrong to post that.

I will say that I find it quite disturbing that people are acting as if I came in here and alienated people when i simply reacted to some seriously troubling things in a way that most people in my position would. The moderators have been getting burned out having to deal with this stuff and I honestly don't know how they do it. I think we really need to make it clear that even casual racism is just not going to be ok.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Aug 2020, 1:37 am

Agreed. no place for racism but there needs be evidence to support actually calling a user out for being one.

I also find any images of graphic violence very triggering emotionally.

Thanks for being patient and responding to the various concerns some members have been expressing, Alex.

my blog:

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 1:44 am

I hope we can have new mods appointed soon to help with the workload.
They do seem to burn out quickly, maybe we need half a dozen more in case some of them get forum fatigue.

alex
Developer
Developer

25 Aug 2020, 1:50 am

envirozentinel wrote:
Agreed. no place for racism but there needs be evidence to support actually calling a user out for being one.

I also find any images of graphic violence very triggering emotionally.

Thanks for being patient and responding to the various concerns some members have been expressing, Alex.

I made a guideline thread announcement about the racism issue.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Aug 2020, 1:53 am

thanks; I'll take a look.

my blog:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 2:07 am

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Please stick around, Ferris.

I'll try but the nihilist in me wants out :jester:

I don't believe in running away,
Said the *true* "Nihilist". :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 2:27 am

Teach51 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:
O dear I get it now, Teach. 8O
Yes? A shmuck is a loser in Yiddish :)
Actually, bubbeleh, it is a Yiddisheh word for penis.  So is the word 'putz'.

Calling someone a 'putz' or a 'schmuck' is the same as calling someone a d*ck or a pr*ck.

So when the character Dark Helmet (played by Rick Moranis) from Spaceballs told someone to "Go to the golf course and work on your putts", he was not referring to a golfer's greens-game.

Lol I suppose it is in the literal sense. That would make the joke more logical too lol. I realise now that I call too many men "penises" inadvertently.

It isn't B&W:

Quote:
schmuck
nouninformal•North American
noun: schmuck; plural noun: schmucks

a foolish or contemptible person.
"you've really got to be some schmuck to fall for that one"

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 2:34 am

Teach51 wrote:
I know that it is difficult for all people to be objective in an argument.

Not hard for me. 8)

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 4:05 am

alex wrote:
I will say that I find it quite disturbing that people are acting as if I came in here and alienated people when i simply reacted to some seriously troubling things in a way that most people in my position would. The moderators have been getting burned out having to deal with this stuff and I honestly don't know how they do it. I think we really need to make it clear that even casual racism is just not going to be ok.

The problem is that for MONTHS there has been an issue with attacks on a small group of people (calling them reichwingers, insinuating they are Nazi's\nazi supporters\racists\white supremecists\lacking intelligence) for the "crime" of having a centrist or right wing view of any issue (or even just suggesting a different approach to tackling an issue). We even had a thread "is it OK to punch a nazi" (post consisted of "and why is your answer 'yes'") where this "nazi=conservative" link was being pushed (if possible, have a look at the signatures used by the participants which were changed at around this time):
funeralxempire wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Depends. Might be hard to punch some old Nazi housewife in the face, buuuut, if it were a CONFIRMED Nazi war criminal who was a ruthless mass murderer? f**k that guy! Punch him right in the face. Hard - like it’s a-okay if it kills him, hard. 8)

God forbid someone condone and encourage violence against literal Nazi war criminals. The reichwingers here will be forever scarred by having to read Goldy's joke.

I don't care about Nazi's either but WP could get a lawsuit if someone takes this thread to seriously.

If someone can't take a joke it isn't WP's fault. This seems like a bunch of right-wing snowflakes melting down.

Source: http://dev.wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=388147&p=8546983#p8546983
With the clear insinuation that anyone disagreeing with force (the originator of the post even stated at one point he didn't care if someone was killed) was a "reichwinger", and so were nazi sympathisers, while also insinuating this also applies to anyone on the right of the political spectrum.

Or we get:
Tim_Tex wrote:
All conservatives are Nazis.

Source: https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=387586&p=8532702#p8532702

Or we get (thankfully edited by a moderator):
Fnord wrote:
Just because many WP members disagree with what is said by Conservatives does not make them Liberals.

It just proves the fact that those very same WP members are perceptive enough to see what is really going, intelligent enough to know why it is going on, and wise enough to understand what it all means.

Former source: https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=389161&p=8573222#p8573222
the very clear implication (being that it came from a professional (technical-) writer and so would have been intentionally worded this way) being that to be conservative means you cannot be perceptive, intelligent, or wise.

Or in pointing out that federal officers were sent to a city to protect federal property because the local police were unable to\prevented from doing so:
goldfish21 wrote:
Not sure if horribly racist or just likes to play devil's advocate on forums.

Former source: https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=388913&f=21&p=8573352#p8573352
(Since deleted, but indicating any belief that federal officers were sent to protect property made one "horribly racist".)

Then you popped up in the middle of a discussion where a number of people had been complaining about these sorts of things having been happening and allowed to continue, and the first thing you did was make posts which implied you took the side of those taking these types of actions...

And before you ask, these WERE all reported, yet some were permitted to remain...And that is only a sample of how the site has been headed.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 4:08 am

Fnord wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
You look stressed out in your avatar.  Ease off on the coffee.
Meh.  It's just an avatar -- a graphic image that will eventually be recognized as "me", even though it isn't me.

As promised:
You are super duper Adorable. :mrgreen: