Did you have trouble with College Algebra?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 3:11 pm

Pre Algrebra and regular Algebra were fine for me. So I assumed College Algebra would be a synch but I was WAY WRONG! f(x) WHAT?! !! ! Wavy weird f(x) graphs WHAT!! !! !! The only thing I understood was Matrixs!! !! Also Statistics (what little I did before the suspension) was about propability which was easy (he compared it to buying a donut shop or basic stuff a person could understand) UNLIKE the College Algebra teacher. So who had issues with College Algebra and not other Algebra classes and what exactly gave you trouble? (Everyone is taught different stuff so whatever) :-)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 5:30 pm

I did ok in all math classes below Calculus.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 8:50 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
The only thing I understood was Matrixs!! !!

I learned matrices in high school but ya, thats the simplest thing in lin. alg. I was shocked in first year university at how hard lin alg is.

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2009, 12:28 am

jc6chan wrote:
zeldapsychology wrote:
The only thing I understood was Matrixs!! !!

I learned matrices in high school but ya, thats the simplest thing in lin. alg. I was shocked in first year university at how hard lin alg is.

I have a linear algebra exam I should be studying for, so I hear you. What I hear from other students is the course, as taught last semester, was fairly simple - so I didn't expect much. But what we got was the full-blown abstract linear algebra, where not only was every problem a proof, but the proofs were typically not very, well, linear.

"College Algebra" - that I can't speak much about. I imagine that it's like Algebra 2 in high school, but at a much higher pace. I've seen a lot of lower-division college math courses where the professor doesn't give grades for the homework - he or she just assumes students are doing it for their own enjoyment. That just never made any sense to me. College students are going to try to get the highest grade possible with the least amount of work.

ayra
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Location: My invented world, ie Kalia (kuh-lee-uh) or just stuck in Texas rollercoaster weather

14 Dec 2009, 4:23 pm

I just finished my college algebra with a B. I never really did algebra in highschool, it didn't make sense to me then. My college prof was a very good teacher. He explained everything at least twice and encouraged plenty of questions.

We had a lab grade in the class so I was able just to do homework in a room where there was help if I needed it. Sure, f(x) matricies and all that was really hard for me, but I had also never seen it before.

My cat is the only one lately to try and distract me from this world.

kingtut3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2009, 11:03 pm

High school algebra- fine
College Algebra 1- fine
College algebra 2- Won't pass. I need to retake it. I have difficulties in processing vidual information. Plus, I changed campuses, so it makes classes more difficult.