A class I think I'm going to struggle with

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 10:39 am

So one of the classes I have to do is basically about critical theory and communication design (I don't fully understand these terms, even though they've explained them). I don't know if it's the aspergers, but this class is way too abstract for me. I don't think I can switch it either. I really don't understand what we have been assigned to do. The briefs are very complicated, but at the same time say very little about what is expected of us. I don't fully understand what the outcome is and how much research they expect from us and what topics we are meant to discuss. It just comes across as very abstract.

I really struggle with time management and I'm trying my hardest, but this class seems like it will take over because I don't know what it is.

My peers said that they didn't understand it either, so I guess it's not just an aspie thing.

I'm not sure how the disability support people can help me in this case. I guess they can interpret stuff for me, because ambiguity is a huge problem for me.

If it was film studies, I'd be totally happy with that. I can totally get film studies. This, however, tries to combine everyone from the same department and get them to all work together....somehow...

Ugh...I don't know anymore...

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2012, 11:46 am

College classes can be very pretentious in this way, I remember being handed a syllabus that was very vague and abstract and also panicking about it.

If you are good at organizing information to study, good at research and paper writing, I think you will be OK. The teachers have to give you the information that you need, they can't hide it forever, but they can make it just mysterious enough that people who aren't really paying attention aren't going to be able to keep up. One professor I had in particular loved to create the most mind boggling exams, and some people in my class failed out of his class because they hadn't memorized enough of the information he had give us to pass.

I know this isn't extremely comforting, but you can still get a great GPA in college if you fail a single class. If you pass by with a C it really won't hurt your GPA by the end of your four years.

Hope that encourages you.