Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 3:12 am

Hey guys, I recently started a mathematics PhD at a British university in south-eastern England. I've always wanted to do a PhD and take my subject further, and I've identified an area of mathematics in which there is a high demand for research and further deepening mathematical theory (basically on the pure/applied interface studying the nature of the Navier-Stokes equations in fluid mechanics). 7 weeks in, it seems to be going okay, I get on well with my supervisor (maybe bar one or two administrative/social misunderstandings on my part) although I would say I've had quite a few subconscious personal challenges what with trying to find a good working routine and settling into a new place which I am largely unfamiliar with.

I wanted to ask around and just see if there is anyone else on here who is also undertaking (or has already completed) a PhD in any subject, and what benefits/challenges did you face as an Aspie PhD student? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I seem to have been encountering more personal challenges than I expected at first.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 6:39 am

But how do you handle the workload? Don't you have to study for about twenty hours per day?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 9:27 am

LOL....There are some Doctorates, especially in the Liberal Arts, where all you do is papers, dissertations, and sometimes class discussions. It's a "seminar"-type format rather than a didactic/teacher type of situation. You don't have to "study" per se--only enough to be able to do the papers/dissertations.

SweetTooth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Nov 2014, 5:17 am

Yes.

CGKings317
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Nov 2014, 6:34 pm

I am presently half-way through a PhD in Earth Sciences (focusing on igneous petrology/geochemistry). A PhD offers an opportunity to become a world expert in a particular topic through the completion of a dissertation and related work. One of my challenges in completing this degree is that I have executive functioning issues and don't do well in very crowded settings--such as conferences. Nonetheless, I find what I am doing rewarding as I am doing a study involving rocks I collected from the Canadian High Arctic.

A PhD is an "endurance" degree. That it, one must be able to conceive significant question(s), design a study to answer the questions, execute the study and then subsequently report on the results 4-5 years from the time one starts. This is in addition to any required coursework as well as preparing for the all-important comprehensive exam.

Anyone thinking about a PhD and have further questions, feel free to ask here or PM me :)

~CGKings317 :)

Rodland
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2014, 2:51 pm

I first wasted four years of my PhD studies in choosing me a topic. Then I worked five years with one thesis (it's 230 pages long, 40 pages of sources) but it kind of failed and I think I would like to start from the beginning again (I did not pay attention to the coherency of the work, I just worked by writing text "blindly" (without much reflection) since the task seemed so huge). Though I'm not sure what should I really do. Making PhD for me has meant just spending all winters and summers in computer classes without contacts to other people. But I probably have no chances to get any interesting job (have no working experience). So perhaps I just try to go on with my PhD, living by the welfare grants. This way I have something to do, at least. However, now I would need some help with my new attempt but I'm not sure if my old supervisor wants to help me with a new thesis. Returning to the old one seems very difficult as well.

SweetTooth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2014, 4:25 pm

Rodland wrote:
Making PhD for me has meant just spending all winters and summers in computer classes without contacts to other people.

Without any irony I can say that that sounds exactly like my cup of tea.

Out of curiosity, may I ask what field of study your PhD(s) is (are) in?

Rodland
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2014, 2:08 am

SweetTooth wrote:
Rodland wrote:
Making PhD for me has meant just spending all winters and summers in computer classes without contacts to other people.

Without any irony I can say that that sounds exactly like my cup of tea.

But computer classes are often terrible, if you are over-sensitive to sounds.

And even if being totally alone was otherwise OK, it's hardly a good thing if one does not have any contact with other researchers (or wanna-be-researchers).

Quote:
Out of curiosity, may I ask what field of study your PhD(s) is (are) in?

Social sciences, about some international matters (despite that I never travel anywhere).

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Dec 2014, 1:25 am

I'm working on a PHD in the US. I found disability services here very helpful. I also have a very open relationship with my department about disabilities. Good luck!