Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 7:52 pm

Hey Gang,

I just got my class schedule for the next semester (spring 2) and I'm moving up in math and this semester they will be focusing more on Algebra Geometry Ratios so I was wondering if somebody could provide a brief description of each course in the following format

Algebra- (description here)

Geometry -

Ratios -

and just to cover my bases

Trig

Thank you in advance

Dmarcotte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Apr 2015, 8:50 am

Have you asked your school for a description? Most schools will have at least a brief summary of what will be covered.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 9:43 am

Hi Dmarcotte,
I was looking more for a brief description put in simplest terms... I know there are some people on here whom may have studied the above mentioned subjects, As for asking they didn't really mention too much just told me what is on the forefront for the upcoming semester.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 8:17 am

Ratios are pretty simple. Think: 3 black marbles and 8 blue marbles. The ratio/proportion between black and blue marbles is 3:8. Very much like fractions.

There are many aspects of both geometry and algebra. It's virtually impossible to express things in "simplest terms." You have to go one math problem at a time.

Trig is, basically, the geometry of triangles.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 11:46 am

Thanks Kraftiekortie,

Something tells me I've got my work cut out for me this semester...I'm just hoping that I'm able to get through the bulk of it all and pass so that I can move on to an official test and pass that so I can move on to other things in my life...

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 7:26 am

I think of algebra as learning to manipulate equations to find the part that is missing. An equation is any completed math problem that has the equals sign (=) in it. So, 3 x 5 = 15 would be an equation.
If you have 3 x ? = 15, algebra will tell you how to find the missing part. You just need to know what steps to take to be able to find the answer.
I think it's easy, but most people don't. I find that people generally are good at EITHER algebra or geometry. I'm good at algebra, but I cannot understand anything but the most basic geometry.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 3:14 pm

The descriptions already offered cover what I know about all those subjects. Except:

That autistic people have been shown in clinical studies to have superior abstract spatial reasoning, and to be equal in abstract and concrete reasoning as compared to neurotypicals. So go in feeling confident!

Also, if the teacher's explanation of a concept doesn't work for you and you still don't understand, just google it. There are tons of step by step articles and video demonstrations of people explaining math concepts in different ways.