Studying criminal psychology (postgraduate)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 1:35 pm

I'm interested very much in human behavior and psychology, criminal psychology to be exact. But do you think this is too hard for aspies? do you know any aspie that specialized in this area? And do you think this would negatively effect someone who already has psychological problems? Also i'm thinking of studying abroad too, do you think it would be hard for aspies also? ( i've been abroad before for a graduate program and managed fine)

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 1:37 pm

That's pretty cool! There are aspie psychologists, so why not aspie criminal psychologists?

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 1:56 pm

I'm glad you think so! Hopefully things will work out!

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 9:36 pm

AprilR wrote:
I'm glad you think so! Hopefully things will work out!

Go for it! :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 10:25 pm

AprilR wrote:
I'm interested very much in human behavior and psychology, criminal psychology to be exact. But do you think this is too hard for aspies? do you know any aspie that specialized in this area? And do you think this would negatively effect someone who already has psychological problems? Also i'm thinking of studying abroad too, do you think it would be hard for aspies also? ( i've been abroad before for a graduate program and managed fine)

If it is something that you are really interested in, you will make it work. Probably the biggest thing you would want to take into account is how much interaction you will have with other people in your field/job, and if it is an amount that you can handle.

As regards study abroad, it depends on the person. I studied abroad and was fine (had a blast in fact, although coming back was really hard), but someone else might not like it at all. If it is what you want to do, especially seeing as you've been abroad before so you have an idea what it might be like, then go for it.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 6:34 am

AprilR wrote:

Cool!

Nothing is hard for Aspies (group) - You are not your diagnosis, you are yourself with your abilities and limitations.

It would actually be a good thing to have a diagnosis, that offers a different perspective. Having AS and working in forensics gave me an ability to see through the "blue-eyed social crap" that most people are filled with, "Oh, but he is so nice he couldn't have done it". Don't care, all that counts is what the evidence says he did. Focus on psychopathy and narcissism and you'll understand criminals easily, where others will not "oh, how could they do such a thing?". You'll be able to detect such people in everyday life, sort of like Dexter - and it's scary.

If you've been abroad before, you'll be fine. Abroad is like home, but with different food and language.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 1:51 pm

Thank you so much for the encouragements! I agree that being interested in this field will help me, and i'm so glad that you think my aspergers won't hinder me!
I'm worried about being abroad a bit but it's not the first time, and getting out of my comfort zone should be a good thing, right?

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 7:43 pm

AprilR wrote:
Thank you so much for the encouragements! I agree that being interested in this field will help me, and i'm so glad that you think my aspergers won't hinder me!
I'm worried about being abroad a bit but it's not the first time, and getting out of my comfort zone should be a good thing, right?

Yes, getting out of your comfort zone can be a good thing, as long as it's not too far out. Think about things that you need to feel comfortable and try to find them/set them up when you are abroad.