Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

2007kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2019, 12:36 am

I have absolutely no time on my hands anymore.

There are plenty of minority groups I happen to fall into besides just being autistic, some I am obligated to fall into, and others I literally have no control over. For one thing, I am gay, but no guys around me are actually attractive to me. For that reason, I am constantly distracted at the thought of the kind of guy I wish I could be with. I didn't even like the guy I used in order to get a first kiss out of, I just had to get it over with. I have 'Pure-O' OCD, it is actually diagnosed, as well as Major Depressive Disorder. My Mom is physically disabled, so I have to take care of her when I am not just barely managing to take care of myself.

I can't get employed part-time, and when I proved that to my dad, he told me to be a student full-time. He pays for my living expenses, so I'm obligated to do that. I am probably going to fail one of my current classes even though I tried my hardest to pass all of them, and it's simply because I find it hard just to take care of myself as well as my Mother, before putting constant studying in the equation.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 8:24 am

What class might you fail?

Is there a way you could get extra credit or something so you can get at least a C?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 8:53 am

Online college

Tutoring

Take fewer units

Change majors

On Course and Processor Evaluation, look up the easiest instructor

See if your mom's insurance pays for :evil: home health aide :twisted:

Leave of absence from school

Disclose diagnosis to school. Reasonable accommodation

Study group

Khan academy

Support group

2007kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2019, 6:53 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Online college

Tutoring

Take fewer units

Change majors

On Course and Processor Evaluation, look up the easiest instructor

See if your mom's insurance pays for :evil: home health aide :twisted:

Leave of absence from school

Disclose diagnosis to school. Reasonable accommodation

Study group

Khan academy

Support group

My Mom already has a home aide come over during mornings.
I have to take a full load. My dad told me to.
I have accomodations already, but I still don't have enough time to do my work.
I go to tutoring when I can.
Online... I don't know. It may actually make things worse for me, with all of the additional work I have to do for my online class compared to my offline classes.
Changing majors.. Maybe. It doesn't seem likely, though.
I look up my professors already, but that only made things easy instead of easier when I was taking 3-6 hours.

I'll try Khan Academy. Where do I find a support group?
And what is a leave of absence?

2007kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2019, 6:55 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Is there a way you could get extra credit or something so you can get at least a C?

Doesn't seem like it.

milkweed_pod
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2019, 7:51 pm

It seems like your college experience has been isolating, which is really tough. Stop in your school's office of student life (sometimes also called student activities); they can give you a list of student support groups. These groups are peers that relate to your situation, plus they will have a faculty advisor who may or may not attend meetings. (Usually not so much, which many students actually appreciate.) Some of the support groups at the college where I work include LGBTQ+, single mothers, international students, and people with disabilities. I once attended the latter as a visitor, and I was the only person without a physical disability present. If there is no support group that suits your needs, I guarantee your office of student life would be thrilled if you proposed a new support group. However, be aware that you may be subsequently asked to lead said group. I know that's a lot to take on when you've got major depression and a bunch of stress. But, it might actually be a great way to find your people at the college, on the other hand. Also, the office of student life will probably help you every step of the way with paperwork, funding, and all kinds of word-spreading to get the ball rolling. Just my two cents. I work with students like you every day, and I never stop worrying about them. People seem to think college is all fun and games, but the students are incredibly stressed out.

2007kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2019, 9:16 pm

milkweed_pod wrote:
It seems like your college experience has been isolating, which is really tough. Stop in your school's office of student life (sometimes also called student activities); they can give you a list of student support groups. These groups are peers that relate to your situation, plus they will have a faculty advisor who may or may not attend meetings. (Usually not so much, which many students actually appreciate.) Some of the support groups at the college where I work include LGBTQ+, single mothers, international students, and people with disabilities. I once attended the latter as a visitor, and I was the only person without a physical disability present. If there is no support group that suits your needs, I guarantee your office of student life would be thrilled if you proposed a new support group. However, be aware that you may be subsequently asked to lead said group. I know that's a lot to take on when you've got major depression and a bunch of stress. But, it might actually be a great way to find your people at the college, on the other hand. Also, the office of student life will probably help you every step of the way with paperwork, funding, and all kinds of word-spreading to get the ball rolling. Just my two cents. I work with students like you every day, and I never stop worrying about them. People seem to think college is all fun and games, but the students are incredibly stressed out.

I don't think I'd be able to lead a group, but I may visit existing groups.

milkweed_pod
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2019, 11:55 am

That's a great plan (to join an existing group). Maybe check out a few, even. There should be plenty of interesting ones to choose from. You'll find one that's right for you, and the connections you make will help you find even more resources and forge peer support.

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2019, 11:43 pm

College for me was just debt and regret. I knew when I finished my degree I had no hope of gaining a job and thousands of applicants and not a single interview and not even a rejection letter. No feedback, only silence.

2007kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2019, 2:20 am

Rainbow_Belle wrote:
College for me was just debt and regret. I knew when I finished my degree I had no hope of gaining a job and thousands of applicants and not a single interview and not even a rejection letter. No feedback, only silence.

Oh, lord... Most of the time when I do apply for jobs, I don't hear ANYTHING AT ALL back, either.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 10:51 am

Rainbow_Belle wrote:

Same as you. College was wasted time money and energy

Almost post traumatic stress disorder

:twisted: much Ado about nothing :roll:

All things equal it is better to go to college than otherwise

Not all things are equal

College is not magic or special or awesome

In some situations it is better to not go to college

In many situations college is not worth the cost benefit analysis

Certainly don't give up just because of the social side

But that doesn't mean that you should go to college under any circumstances

Any professionals that work at the sch and encourage ("pressure") you to stay in school, are working on :evil: brand loyalty :twisted: and :mrgreen: (flying monkey :skull: )

2007kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2019, 11:31 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Rainbow_Belle wrote:

Same as you. College was wasted time money and energy

Almost post traumatic stress disorder

:twisted: much Ado about nothing :roll:

All things equal it is better to go to college than otherwise

Not all things are equal

College is not magic or special or awesome

In some situations it is better to not go to college

In many situations college is not worth the cost benefit analysis

Certainly don't give up just because of the social side

But that doesn't mean that you should go to college under any circumstances

Any professionals that work at the sch and encourage ("pressure") you to stay in school, are working on :evil: brand loyalty :twisted: and :mrgreen: (flying monkey :skull: )

Seems legit.

2007kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2019, 6:30 pm

What is a leave of absence?

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 2:46 pm

2007kid wrote:
Oh, lord... Most of the time when I do apply for jobs, I don't hear ANYTHING AT ALL back, either.

The only organization that even gives rejection calls is my own. Of course, they are worthless because any time I ask for clarification they will just say "other candidates scored higher". No -hit! After seeing the same job I know I am highly qualified for posted for the third time in a year without even an interview, I just want to write an angry "what the duck do you want?" email to the HR person. Clearly their "expert" opinion isn't getting the right people.

2007kid wrote:

It's like hitting the pause button. I did it for work once, will be doing it again soon (parental leave) and should be done it in University to deal with my issues. In short, it keeps everything "warm" for you so you can return just as you left.

2007kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2019, 6:11 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
2007kid wrote:

It's like hitting the pause button. I did it for work once, will be doing it again soon (parental leave) and should be done it in University to deal with my issues. In short, it keeps everything "warm" for you so you can return just as you left.

How do you get one? Is it as simple as not going back for a few semesters?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2019, 1:16 pm

Most of the time, you cannot take a leave of absence of more than a year or two semesters.