Questionable Academic Success and Guilt.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Aysmptotes
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Oct 2007, 8:00 pm

So I guess I do pretty good in school. I don't have much of a social life so I can concentrate on my school work, just about the only thing that gets in the way is my obsession with minesweeper at least I am offically the best player in my state. But recently a few good things have happened and I have realized that everyone in my engineering classes thing I am insanely smart or something.

First, like a year ago I was admitted in these two I guess homorary national scholar groups or something. Just based on my grades my major and how many classes I have taken so far. Then I got a scholarship out of no where for a group which I never joined and never showed up to their meets. I didn't even apply for any scholarships and then a few weeks ago I just got a thousand bucks. And I just got a letter saying that I have been chosen to go to China for an "pre-professional engineering experience" which will "enchance my academic profile".

Honestly for some reason I think the China trip is a scam, but I am just naturally paranoid. As a baby I would sniff my food and if I didn't smell something right I refused to eat it. This all looks legit but I just can't believe that they would choose me. Personally I don't think my grades are up to snuff and in past classes the grades I got in the end I am incredulous of them. In my head I am not doing as well as I would like but to everyone else it is totally opposite. I guess it doesn't feel like they are talking about me or giving me this stuff or these opportunities, as if they made a mistake. It is all just really weird.

martin_nyc
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Oct 2007, 8:07 pm

First of all, congrats on your minesweeping. =)

You're being overcritical of yourself. Academic success has very little to do with intelligence (though you seem quite intelligent) and a great deal to do with focus and perseverance. People admire your drive/passion, and that's why they respect you. You have no reason to question accolades.

And even if the China thing is legit, are you sure you want to go to China? I don't know, I'd try to find something closer to home, but maybe that's just me. /m

Aysmptotes
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Oct 2007, 9:20 pm

martin_nyc wrote:
And even if the China thing is legit, are you sure you want to go to China? I don't know, I'd try to find something closer to home, but maybe that's just me. /m

Yeah, I don't really want to go to China, I am mostly looking at an intership at Boeing or any other internship. I really don't want to spend another summer making frapaccinos.

And thanks, I try my best in minesweeper.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 10:23 pm

I'm 3/4 academic and 1/4 social but I think I'm half academic and half social more though.

Brian003
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2007, 3:22 pm

I'm 1/2 academic and about 1/2 doing random crap.

I would say take the trip to China.