Does anyone else have extremely good hearing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

melly-belly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jun 2010, 11:44 pm

Hi, i have very good hearing and i was just wondering if anyone else has the same thing? It can be very annoying because i can hear everything anyone is saying and my parents sometimes get annoyed because they cant talk alone without me hearing what they are saying. My mum tells me i should try and switch off but i have tryed this and i really cant!

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 12:20 am

I have the same issue but with a twist.

I will hear the whispers, but if someones yelling I will not notice at all.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 12:34 am

I used to, I could hear people talking about me anywhere in the house.

I might have listened to too much death metal at pleasurable volume levels in the past 6 years though.

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2010, 12:50 am

Yes, however its a little different.

While I can hear things that nobody else seems to notice, sometimes I have difficulty processing speech from people with certain tones of voice and have to ask them to repeat it.

I have never experienced dead silence......ever, even with earplugs in I can hear the blood pumping through my veins.

melbi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 12:57 am

Molecular_Biologist wrote:

While I can hear things that nobody else seems to notice, sometimes I have difficulty processing speech from people with certain tones of voice and have to ask them to repeat it.

I have never experienced dead silence......ever, even with earplugs in I can hear the blood pumping through my veins.

I'm in a similar situation. also my dad, who has no AS but has traits of AS.
We both can hear sounds like insects moving on the floor etc, it's quite annoying actually.

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 7:27 am

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
I have the same issue but with a twist.

I will hear the whispers, but if someones yelling I will not notice at all.

I am like that sometimes, lol.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 8:49 am

My parents always say I have "radar ears" :lol:

melly-belly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jul 2010, 10:28 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
My parents always say I have "radar ears" :lol:

Haha mine say exatcly that too!

melly-belly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jul 2010, 4:16 am

With all due respect, this is a kids forum and i would prefer to hear from other kids not adults.

Hello-Nurse7
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2010, 7:13 pm

I have the exact same problem! I hear everything, but I desperately want it to be quiet. I often get into scuffles with my parents because I tell the to quiet down, and they say that they were barely making noise in the first place. Perhaps they weren't making a whole lot of noise, at least not to them, but it sounds loud to my ears.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 7:31 pm

melly-belly wrote:

With all due respect, this is a kids forum and i would prefer to hear from other kids not adults.

Some people access the threads from the front page, or other ways that don't show which forum the thread is on. Meaning, the poster may not have realized he was in the Kid's Crater. I do realize, but I'm a mod ;) and I just thought you might want to understand why there sometimes seems to be apparently random adult participation. My recommendation is to basically ignore it when that happens.

Newtonscat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jul 2010, 2:50 am

I'm 67 ... so my hearing should be "not so good" - but the truth is that I frequently hear LOUD sounds that practically everybody else can't hear. I hear low frequency sounds and high frequency sounds that are outside the threshold of normal people's hearing.

People are often VERY sensitive about their hearing ... so I would advise those of you with exceptional hearing to be careful as far as complaining about noise is concerned - if nobody else can hear what you can clearly hear they won't say: "You must have very good hearing" ... they'll very likely give you a strange look and not say anything. If you persist they may get angry ... your hearing acuity is simply beyond their comprehension. If you insist that the sounds you hear are real such people will think you're mad.

Here's what I experience:

I was in a quiet cafe. Across the road was a building site with a portable generator. When it was under load everybody could hear it. When it went into idle the noise stopped ... as far as everybody else's experience was concerned - but what I experienced was that the frequency (tone) went down very low and the volume became unbearably loud ... so loud that it still sounded oppressive to me 300 yards away - but people with normal hearing could stand right next to it when it was idling and hardly hear a thing.

I'm really only bothered by CONTINUOUS low or high frequency sounds ... an infant can scream behind me and I don't react (people with normal hearing often "jump out of their skin" when this happens to them unexpectedly) ... my mind just thinks "child screaming".

I do have problems understanding people with accents I'm unfamiliar with ... I often have to ask them to repeat themselves. It's like their mouths are "making noises with no meaning" - then, after they've repeated themselves once or twice, I suddenly totally understand what they're saying. I also often have problems when I speak to people ... my natural voice is very low, so low that a lot of people (like staff in shops) just look at me blankly - they are seeing my mouth moving ... but no sound is coming out (they sometimes get annoyed at me because, I think, they think I'm doing it deliberately!)

My local hospital's A & E department has a really NOISY drinks machine in the waiting room ... so noisy that after a couple of minutes it begins to "do my head in". I went there with a friend ... who was really annoyed at me when I told her I had to leave 'cos the noise was "driving me up the wall" - she couldn't hear it.

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 12:19 pm

Yes to a degree

It sucks though cause I cant filter out noises

vampresstcullen

27 Jul 2010, 2:12 pm

No I dont think so I have never been told this but I like concentrated on people whispering across the room, its fun to be nosy lol. Not saying its superhearing though just good at focusing

gwennie54321
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Oct 2010, 1:02 pm

ive allways had extremely good hearing which also makes it kinda easy to be sneaky and eat icecream at ight

DylanLarkins

31 Oct 2010, 2:56 pm

*raises hand*

People call me a wimp for using earplugs in marching band. Meh, I'd rather keep my hearing.

I also have perfect pitch. =P