Questions about applying for jobs.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ritualdrama
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jun 2014, 1:42 pm

From your experience what are the best days of the week to turn in resumes? What is the best time of the day? Does it depend on what type of business? What are the best colors to wear to an interview? How should I carry myself in a job interview?

I have problems when I'm nervous with using filler words like, "Sweet." And I certainly hope to avoid that. Job interviewers are usually much more enthusiastic than I am. I know you're supposed to be all personable but I have such a hard time with small talk. Especially for job stuff. Because I of course don't truly want to be there. Like, what am I supposed to talk about? The weather? Their clothes?

I am very, very horrible when it comes to selling myself. Especially if it's me selling myself to a place like Pizza Hut or Fredmeyer.

http://bit.ly/1L29X77

b_edward
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2014, 2:22 pm

If you are trying to break the ice or if they ask you to tell them about yourself, mention where you are from and what your major hobbies are. (unless it is a hobby that doesn't usually elicit a good response among NT extroverted types., like if it were Pokemon or something like that, you might want to keep it under wraps.)

Also:
- Make sure to give a firm hand shake, especially if it does not come naturally.
- do not complain about your past or current job

ritualdrama
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jun 2014, 2:25 pm

b_edward wrote:

This is something I recently learned. The place I last worked was truly unprofessional. On applications (before I realized not to) I gave an honest answer (heaven forbid) when it asks, 'what is the reason you left?'

http://bit.ly/1L29X77

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 9:03 am

ritualdrama wrote:
b_edward wrote:

This is something I recently learned. The place I last worked was truly unprofessional. On applications (before I realized not to) I gave an honest answer (heaven forbid) when it asks, 'what is the reason you left?'

Yeah, that is a tough one...

Instead of saying 'we got a crazy manager assigned to my shift and she stressed me out so bad I almost threw up on a customer and I couldn't complain because she was having an affair with the owner' could be rephrased to something like "there was a change in management and I was not entirely comfortable with the new directions taken". :lol: That got me through my interview at TJ Maxx, talking about why I'd left Hardee's.

Best of luck.

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 9:07 am

When writing applications, a good tip is to read your application as if YOU were the people who's hiring. Would you employ yourself? If no, you need to fix your application.