Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

themanfromuranus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Feb 2015, 7:13 pm

so... i am officialy accepted into the ranks of the IDF, israeli deffence force, to the intelligence corpes,
thanks to a parents advocacy group called AFI (aspergers israel, although i have pdd nos lol) i am to be a programmer and a computer Practical Engineer (which meens i will have a ful degre in computer pract engennering, yay) sorry about my arrogance, i just hyped. cant wait to start.

ps, is there any body else here who is on the spectrum whiche has served in the army ? if so, please give me some advice (:

and by the way, sorry for my english

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 8:03 pm

Navy veteran here.

My only advice is this: Be where you're supposed to be, when you're supposed to be there, and doing what you're supposed to be doing. Salute everyone who outranks you. Keep your uniform clean and your gear in perfect condition. Stay out of trouble. Stay away from people who think that they can get away with criminal behavior or with being disrespectful.

And don't pay any attention to those who have never served in the military, but who go ahead anyway and tell you how military service is awful, evil, or otherwise not "kosher".

Shalom!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

themanfromuranus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Feb 2015, 9:34 pm

thank you my friend :D

il do my best

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 9:41 pm

You'll make us proud!

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 11:20 am

What Fnord said.

I bet you'll make a really great intelligence officer. I'm not a veteran (but I know a lot of them). Ignore the reactionaries-- remember that not everyone is an innocent flower child, and SOMEONE has to do this job.

All the best.

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2015, 6:12 pm

themanfromuranus wrote:
ps, is there any body else here who is on the spectrum whiche has served in the army ? if so, please give me some advice (:

Firstly, congratulations - very good career decision to make.

I didn't serve in the Army, but close enough :)

1) Get fit for basic - basic will get you fit anyway, but it's good to have a high level of core fitness beforehand
2) Be punctual - never be late
3) Be respectful to everyone
4) Form a habit of neatness/cleanliness/attention to detail
5) Get used to waking up very early
6) Have specific meal times - if you snack, get out of the habit of snacking
7) This may not apply so much given your specification, but learn how to read a map and compass
8) Try to build up stamina for carrying large heavy packs over reasonable distances - your Tavor plus mags will add c.5kg to the total, never mind a FL'd rucksack
9) You'll learn this one through doing - get used to walking with blisters :) In the Royal Marines we'd get what was called 'tinker treatment' - this consisted of injecting pure iodine into blisters - very painful (so painful it was laughable!!) - the pain was so memorable that if there was ever another blister incident, we'd simply 'shut up and get on with it'! !!
10) Work on holding your breath - you'll see why in basic...! !

All in all, you'll have a great time. So many boxes are ticked for us autistics i.e. order, structure, direct use of language with little to no indirect meaning etc.

It's a great decision you're making, one that will shape the rest of your life - in more ways than you can probably imagine.

themanfromuranus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Feb 2015, 11:10 am

thank you all for your support :D

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 12:46 pm

themanfromuranus wrote:

I am serving the Swedish Armed Forces right now on a civilian position.

First thing i can recommend is that you read my post here:
http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89997&start=101

I've been open about my diagnosis since the start, even before i had an official one. Also remember that you are laying the groundwork for future aspies, like women did for women in the military when they were banned from serving. So remember to carry yourself with honor and think of the consequences of your actions. Especially if you are wearing a uniform and a rifle. Do not dismiss the idea of talking to a psychologist if you feel bad. Reality can be very cruel.

If you have any specific questions, you can post them here in the forum.

carthago
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2015, 2:43 am

I know a few IDF soldiers. Their advice would be to train well, follow orders, and don't get into activism/stay out of army politics. (This never goes well for the few IDF soldiers who do)
I also have a friend in Shin Bet who's on the spectrum. He loves his job. I think it's a good fit for aspies who can overcome some of the social challenges.
That's not exactly synonymous with IDF intelligence, but it should be similar.
Just one thing though, I hear that the Golani brigade is more socially demanding than the rest. Maybe not a good aspie fit.

AlphaNtu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2015, 9:37 pm

Congratulations and good luck.

themanfromuranus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Mar 2015, 11:08 am

Ichinin wrote:
themanfromuranus wrote:

I am serving the Swedish Armed Forces right now on a civilian position.

First thing i can recommend is that you read my post here:
http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89997&start=101

I've been open about my diagnosis since the start, even before i had an official one. Also remember that you are laying the groundwork for future aspies, like women did for women in the military when they were banned from serving. So remember to carry yourself with honor and think of the consequences of your actions. Especially if you are wearing a uniform and a rifle. Do not dismiss the idea of talking to a psychologist if you feel bad. Reality can be very cruel.

If you have any specific questions, you can post them here in the forum.
thanks for the help, and i will do my best to make our community proud

themanfromuranus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Mar 2015, 12:20 pm

carthago wrote:
I know a few IDF soldiers. Their advice would be to train well, follow orders, and don't get into activism/stay out of army politics. (This never goes well for the few IDF soldiers who do)
I also have a friend in Shin Bet who's on the spectrum. He loves his job. I think it's a good fit for aspies who can overcome some of the social challenges.
That's not exactly synonymous with IDF intelligence, but it should be similar.
Just one thing though, I hear that the Golani brigade is more socially demanding than the rest. Maybe not a good aspie fit.

good to know someone who knows well the IDF