Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jun 2015, 12:11 pm

Economist.

leftyspinner
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jun 2015, 9:01 am

I have been mostly working temp jobs in government offices, and making beaded jewelry on the side. I like my current position as a receptionist for a county transportation department, but there is no permanent job here for me to apply for, so I found a new job as an apprentice jeweler. I haven't started yet, but I am exited to get paid to work on jewelry, since that is what I really like to do anyway. I do enjoy working with customers as well as technical work.

Dariusz_V

28 Jun 2015, 11:34 am

I am working as a management consultant in Johannesburg, South Africa.

undefineable
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jul 2015, 5:45 pm

carthago wrote:
undefineable wrote:
Corporate Sales Rep.? Management Consultant? Are either of you actually autistic?!

Believe it or not, those are jobs that autistic people can do well. Corporate Sales is normally a B2B job, and it's most important to have detailed product knowledge and a thorough understanding of your client's needs as well as their budget. It can be research intensive and the actual sale hinges on the value proposition.
Management consulting is similar, except at the lower levels, you're more like an analyst and not directly responsible for any client accounts. Similar to Corp Sales, technical skills and good business acumen are the most valuable assets in the lower levels of a management consulting role.
Autism doesn't keep you from doing a great job, it's just a higher social barrier to climb. For most professional jobs, this is only a liability in the interview.
If I'd have known all that at 21, my unconscious would have had no excuse _ _

But how on earth does one acquire 'good business acumen' or even a "thorough understanding of your client's needs" (when these needs are management advice/'consultancy') without innate social skills? Does it perhaps depend on a complete absence of anxiety and doubt, as might be needed in order to develop the relevant social skills-?

carthago
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jul 2015, 8:33 pm

undefineable wrote:
But how on earth does one acquire 'good business acumen' or even a "thorough understanding of your client's needs" (when these needs are management advice/'consultancy') without innate social skills? Does it perhaps depend on a complete absence of anxiety and doubt, as might be needed in order to develop the relevant social skills-?

Good business acumen generally involves (but is not limited to):
attention to detail, but not to a fault
good research skills
excellent logical reasoning skills
punctuality
enough humility to know when you don't have all the answers
active listening skills
and one or more areas of technical expertise

There is a little bit of overlap with social skills, but the main difference that I see is that business follows logical rules, while most social rules are completely irrational. As an aspie, it's much easier to diagnose and solve business problems than social ones.

Usually people go to business school to get into management consulting, but most MBA programs require a few years of professional work (not necessarily consulting) first.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2015, 10:23 pm

Sachorus27 wrote:
I work at an Apple Authorised Service Provider as a technician. I like the work itself, diagnosing and fixing computers...the pay sucks but I like fixing things and the machines occasionally offer a good challenge.

The downside is I almost constantly misunderstand my customers and it is quite difficult trying to understand them. If I were allowed to simply ask the relevant questions and get straight forward answers it'd be alright but my manager constantly complains and stresses I must be more "Empathetic" and "Warmer" as well as engaging the customers in conversation. He even tried to force me to smile when dealing with people. Had five complaints in one day over "pulling faces" at people.

To sum up, no...I don't much like it. But I dislike the prospect of changing even more.

Too be fair, it's not just you.
Apple has strict rules when dealing with official providers even in their own stores.
They have to ask certain questions and go through a certain routine with constantly involves misunderstandings with the customers.

Though I have heard from others that the other OEMs are far worse when it comes to treating their employees and customers.

Hell the guy I had to deal with when I got my laptop's issue diagnosed (It was graphical card issue as many users had also experienced) and he didn't smile much either.
I had pictures and video on my iPhone showing the issue, which I knew what it was.
But they weren't convinced that it was the issue...

AraleNorimaki

12 Jul 2015, 9:59 pm

I'm a behavioral therapist, so I work with other people on the autism spectrum, mostly young children. It's a more Aspie-suited job than you might think, since it involves very strict routines. My only trouble is learning how to play with kids, though I'm getting better at it. This goes without saying, but it's very rewarding to help kids that are like me.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2015, 10:36 pm

AraleNorimaki wrote:
I'm a behavioral therapist, so I work with other people on the autism spectrum, mostly young children. It's a more Aspie-suited job than you might think, since it involves very strict routines. My only trouble is learning how to play with kids, though I'm getting better at it. This goes without saying, but it's very rewarding to help kids that are like me.

That's nice to hear.
I've thought about helping others on the spectrum, but not sure how to go about it.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 1:20 am

I don't have a job. I don't particularly like my non-job.

MoatsArt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jul 2015, 3:29 am

I am unemployed and have been for over a year. Used to be a music teacher and, before that, an admin assistant.

On the upside, I don't make any work-related mistakes anymore. On the downside, I am a burden to my family and want to kill myself.

forex1234
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jul 2015, 11:54 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm a data-entry operator for NYC. Been doing this job almost 35 years.

i used to look for that job "data-entry" the pay is very good here. bc i felt it was a job good for me.
unfortuantly i could not find any.

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jul 2015, 12:47 am

I am a software developer for a large company but I get to work from home most the time.
I think this is ideal for me because the limited contact with my co-workers helps keep things friendly. People tend to not like me after the initial "new" period. I'm not sure why. With this job I mostly communicate with my co-workers via a company IM program and conference calls (where I don't talk much).

I previously had a job as an evidence custodian in a crime lab. I was really good at cataloging all the evidence and all the procedures associated with that but my co-workers hated me apparently. (This was before I knew I had Aspergers.) I was the only person in the department who didn't get invited to the one girl's wedding. I was also told by a co-worker that an older woman who worked next to me quit because she was frustrated working with me.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2015, 12:57 am

social worker. like it. couldn't have done it when i was younger. doesn't pay well. leaving for nursing school.

Darcygirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jul 2015, 1:39 am

I'm a Tax Advisor (have been for 20+ years). Pays well but I'd rather be a barista - making the coffee only and not behind the till!

Thought about being a midwife - when I was pregnant with my third my special interest was child birth and breast feeding - thought about being a doula too but with my social skills that wouldn't work.

If I won the lottery I'd like to open a coffee shop - that would be nice

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 3:59 am

I'm a housewife and mainly have been for the past 28 years. However, I've had plenty of jobs and I've worked off and on during my time as a housewife. I've liked almost all my jobs.

Pharmacy courier in a hospital
Unit Clerk in a hospital
Scrub Tech and Nursery tech in a hospital
Secretary in a doctor's office
Veterinary tech
Veterinary antesthetist
Bounty hunter
Private detective
Worked in a funeral home secretary/apprentice embalmer
Bartender
Waitress in a strip club
Did insurance medical testing for a testing company
Worked lots of retail in convenience stores/grocery stores
Co-owner/manager of a convenience store
Hung sheet metal
Writer for a newspaper (op-ed column)
Worked at the carnival and traveled, ran a balloon game joint

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, I'm 51 and my memory ain't that great. Now I just do card readings and spells for people from my home.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 4:43 am

I run a pub,
I part manage a charity store
I'm volunteering at an art gallery and contributing some pieces of my own.

Want to go self employed when the time is right.