Page 2 of 10 [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 1:02 pm

As far as employment on the spectrum goes, one must be willing to try even if it means failing. And I don't just mean try to get a job, I mean try until you get one and then try to keep it and if it doesn't work out, repeat the process.

My first few jobs were not that great and I did not stay at them but that is not unusual for teenagers and young adults who are new to the job market.

And most people don't have a high paying job as their first job.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2018, 1:23 pm

Chronos wrote:
As far as employment on the spectrum goes, one must be willing to try even if it means failing. And I don't just mean try to get a job, I mean try until you get one and then try to keep it and if it doesn't work out, repeat the process.

My first few jobs were not that great and I did not stay at them but that is not unusual for teenagers and young adults who are new to the job market.

How did you get your first job? For my part I have never got a job, I've just been given jobs through connections.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

04 Nov 2018, 3:22 pm

Why not? I hate work.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 5:28 pm

I'd try something like Walmart Cart Pusher. It's exercise and gets you out of the store away from most customers and the horrid store music. Also, Walmart is raising their base pay to $11 an hour.

Are there any shopping malls nearby? One of my first jobs was night shift custodian with the whole building to myself. My responsibility was to take out the trash, run the floor scrubber, mop the food court around the tables and chairs, and clean the mall bathroom. The stores were all close up; I didn't touch those.

If a person gains decent experience even as a custodian, there is a chance of getting work in places like hospitals for better pay.

If you could get a job like that and a cheap place to live in walking distance, you might do okay and save money by not having a car and insurance payments.

I'd also talk to a Salvation Army if there is one in your area. Maybe they can help you out.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 5:50 pm

Fos11 wrote:
... i know i will never be able to work, or even live independently.
You know? How do you know? Have you ever had a job? Have you ever lived independently?

Or are you really just letting fear of the unknown govern your thoughts and actions?

By the way, we all hate work (to a greater or lesser degree). We don't let that stop us from working and providing us with the money that allows us to live independently.

"I hate work" is no excuse for slacking.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 6:45 pm

Arevelion wrote:
Chronos wrote:

How did you get your first job? For my part I have never got a job, I've just been given jobs through connections.

I suppose it depends on what obe would consider my first job. When I was a teenager, my mother twice secured me "under the table" positions assisting inexperienced bosses who did not want to hire an actual employee they would have to pay a legal wage. They were both horrible experiences and I quite the first one after my boss yelled at me for something beyond my control and the second one, my boss became upset with me for doing exactly what she told me to do...she apparently thought I should be able to read her mind, and then fired me and refused to pay me until my father threatened to report her to the police.

My subsequent jobs, I found and applied for on my own, with the exception of this last one, which I found through a friend.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 6:49 pm

Fos11 wrote:
Why not? I hate work.

Do you think the cashier at the supermarket likes standing there all day, everyday, because they find being a cashier interesting and fulfilling? Probably not. Most people who work in retail or customer service, even if they don't hate their job, would probably rather be at home or off doing their own thing, but if they didn't work they would not have a home to go to.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

05 Nov 2018, 5:24 am

These Jobs pay so little, their home sucks probably anyway, maybe some are even homeless despite having a job. Atleast in the us.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 9:28 am

Fos11 wrote:
These Jobs pay so little...
How would you know?
Fos11 wrote:
... their home sucks probably anyway...
How would you know?
Fos11 wrote:
... maybe some are even homeless despite having a job...
How would you know?

You're making a lot of assumptions about things you haven't experienced. So put down those sour grapes, get up, go out, get a job, and find out for yourself.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 9:49 am

Fos11 wrote:
These Jobs pay so little, their home sucks probably anyway, maybe some are even homeless despite having a job. Atleast in the us.

Around 44% of homeless people were employed. According to the US Department of Housing and Urban Development's 2008 Annual Homeless Assessment Report. Source: Wikipedia. :(

Lil_miss_lois
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Nov 2018, 10:09 am

Fos what do you want to do?

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

05 Nov 2018, 12:43 pm

You see, i will end up homeless anyway, those autists who dont are just very lucky.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 1:27 pm

Fos11 wrote:
These Jobs pay so little

Most do, some don't, but we are talking about your first job, not a job you have to stay in.

Anyway, it's the holiday season right now. If you are in the U.S. many retailers are hiring seasonal workers. These are great first jobs for people who have never had a job and who have low confidence because they are so temporary, most places won't bother to fire you if they don't like your performance.

They typically start hiring in October but some hire in to early November so I would tidy yourself up if you are not already, and get down to the shops and ask the manager if they are hiring seasonal workers and if you can fill out an application.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 1:34 pm

Why don't you get a cleaning job? That suited me when I left school. I wasn't ready for office work yet. It stressed me out too much. I had a cleaning job and it was dirty, but I didn't have to interact with people which was awesome. And it was satisfying. You can see what you've accomplished.

You can't just get a good job. You've got to start at the bottom.

What does it matter how much the job pays? You earn nothing now. A job will give you more than that. You can't sponge off your parents forever. That's not fair on them.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

05 Nov 2018, 1:41 pm

And why do you guys think i could live off mjnimum wage? Or a few bucks more? Low paying jobs dont get you anywhere.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 1:43 pm

Fos11 wrote:
And why do you guys think i could live off mjnimum wage? Or a few bucks more? Low paying jobs dont get you anywhere.

Because you're living on nothing now. Minimum wage is a step up from that.

If you get a job your parents will let you stay.