Psychological and Personality test

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 5:42 am

A girl at work (NT) annouced today that she is leaving at the end of this month to work at another law firm.
She said that as part of the interview process she had to do a personality test (online) that took 3 hrs.
She said some of the questions you had to think about, others were of no relation to the job what so ever.

My point is, have you ever had to do one of these? I haven't.

I have been told that loads of companies are doing this.

VedekMiara
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Feb 2010, 6:08 am

for my current position I had to do a five hour test.
First part: a standard IQ test, like Raven's matrices, continuing series of numbers, "which one doesn't fit", spatial sense...

Second part: "Stress test" (was really exhausting) - the screen showed calendar, clock, address book, a box where IQ exercises were shown, and a box where a changing cloud of words or numbers was shown. We had to do some standard IQ exercises while receiving other commands via ear-phone such as "at 14:30, click on the place you meet with your mother on Monday at 16:15" - so you had to check the calendar to see where you meet your mother, keep an eye on the clock to see when it's 14:30 there, then find the right word in the word cloud and click on it; all this while doing the exercises. It seemed to last forever...

Third part: we had to write two letters, one as an answer to a citizen's complaint and one letter in which we praise our own abilities ;-) Main goal was certainly to test our grammar and orthography, but you also had to make up a lot of facts for your answer letter because it should be 1.5 pages, but the information we got filled only about 0.5 pages ;-) so maybe it was a test of fantasy and imagination, too ;-)

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 7:26 am

VedekMiara wrote:
for my current position I had to do a five hour test.
First part: a standard IQ test, like Raven's matrices, continuing series of numbers, "which one doesn't fit", spatial sense...

Second part: "Stress test" (was really exhausting) - the screen showed calendar, clock, address book, a box where IQ exercises were shown, and a box where a changing cloud of words or numbers was shown. We had to do some standard IQ exercises while receiving other commands via ear-phone such as "at 14:30, click on the place you meet with your mother on Monday at 16:15" - so you had to check the calendar to see where you meet your mother, keep an eye on the clock to see when it's 14:30 there, then find the right word in the word cloud and click on it; all this while doing the exercises. It seemed to last forever...

Third part: we had to write two letters, one as an answer to a citizen's complaint and one letter in which we praise our own abilities ;-) Main goal was certainly to test our grammar and orthography, but you also had to make up a lot of facts for your answer letter because it should be 1.5 pages, but the information we got filled only about 0.5 pages ;-) so maybe it was a test of fantasy and imagination, too ;-)

:lol: I give up.

MoonRa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2010, 12:10 pm

I've had a personality test once - about 50 multiple choice questions, just like the personality tests you can find on the internet now.

Next time,
1. I would ask in advance where the tests would be about, so I can look up in advance what they will be measuring instead of asking me to do,
2. I'd like to see the reports of the tests aferwards
3. The companies policy on storing and forwarding your personal information.

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 12:39 pm

I've taken those multiple-choice tests, for the most part. I believe its called Unicru? I never got called back for an interview with those so I suppose I got my fake NT personality wrong on the test.

MoonRa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2010, 2:56 pm

chaotik_lord wrote:
I've taken those multiple-choice tests, for the most part. I believe its called Unicru? I never got called back for an interview with those so I suppose I got my fake NT personality wrong on the test.

Maybe _they_ were waiting for a call;) .. you never know if you don't ask them.
It's a good idea to call back yourself after a while, even if they told you not to do so.
It's shows initiative and it's ok to ask what their impression of your personality was, as long as you respect their decision to hire another. Knowlegde about how others perceive you can be very worthfull.

You don't really have to fake personality; personality is nothing but a perception of another (maybe there are some common perceptions though).
The company's tests are about wheter or not you'll fit in the vacancy you're applying for. .. so I fill-in questions while keeping in mind the job you apply for. For example .. consider a question "Do you take quick decisions?" .. considering work (engineering here;) yes I definately do, .. on some real life relations issues I don't.

coralbell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Feb 2010, 9:47 pm

I have taken this type of test several times, as an interviewee for admin assistant jobs. It seemed like they were trying to hire someone very extroverted, very friendly, and experienced with customer service. All of the testing workplaces were private sector. I now work part time at a government agency, in a back office, and I did not have to take that test.

I am a little concerned about privacy issues related to testing: how long do they hold on to my test, who gets to see it, and what do they do with it when they discard a resume after three months in the dormant file?

Ishtara
Raven
Raven

06 Feb 2010, 5:36 am

I've done more of these than I can properly remember. They're not worth stressing over, mostly because there is nothing you can do to prepare for them.

Some are basic IQ-type tests, some are personality assesments, and some are more specific to the role. And then there are *shudder* groupwork assesments... where so long as you made at least a few sentences of input, you should be fine. Personality tests are very much fitted to the role -- if it is for a customer service position they're going to be looking for someone bubbly and extroverted, but if it is for something like records management they will be looking for someone quiet with good attention to detail.

Ishtara
Raven
Raven

06 Feb 2010, 5:38 am

I've done more of these than I can properly remember. They're not worth stressing over, mostly because there is nothing you can do to prepare for them.

Some are basic IQ-type tests, some are personality assesments, and some are more specific to the role. And then there are *shudder* groupwork assesments... where so long as you made at least a few sentences of input, you should be fine. Personality tests are very much fitted to the role -- if it is for a customer service position they're going to be looking for someone bubbly and extroverted, but if it is for something like records management they will be looking for someone quiet with good attention to detail.