Anxious fumes are beginning to ruminate from within me......

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

chelischili7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Apr 2010, 2:51 pm

I graduated from college in December with a double major in History and Secondary Education. I completed my studies with a 3.1 GPA. I earned my certification in Broad Field Social Studies, History and Geography. I need one credit to become certified in economics so I plan to go back and take an economics class this summer. I have received rave reviews from all of my co-operating teachers, stellar letters of recommendation from two teachers and one principal, and wonderful feedback on my resume and cover letters by my best friend's sister - a career counselor at Marquette University.

I've sent out 70 resumes, yet I have not received a phone call for an interview. I'm getting rather discouraged because I network and complete my follow up work. I would like to hear from you if there is anyone else with similar circumstances as myself. On average, how long does it take to find work as a teacher in this market? I just read this morning that Sheboygan will terminate many positions, Nicolet is cutting back, MPS as well. Any feedback would be helpful because I cried yesterday thinking that I would never find work; those thoughts are encompassed within my head everyday now. I picked a horrible time to enter the job market.

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 7:24 pm

Teachers in CA have had a hard time of late. Budget issues have forced a increased ratio of students to teachers, and (according to the new reports a few months back) hundreds of teachers, both new and current, attend job fairs for multiple districts when available. This has not changed, and according to reports in NJ, the residents there have refused to support an increase in property for the schools/teachers. NV had created a fund for private citizens to donate in order to be distributed to teachers state wide, and it had last than $500 a month or so ago.

It doesn't seem to matter, coast to coast things are "poor" for teachers.

In terms of the number of resumes, that seems about right. I have sent out 100+ resumes before without a call back, and then had 3-5 solid interviews soon after. I know people today who just went through 120 w/o an interview and then landed several in the span of a couple of weeks (blowing them, but that's another story).

It takes time. However, once you land, you're on fairly stable ground. You may need to broaden your search to multiple states.