A possible job offer? Should I tell them I have AS?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2006, 1:28 am

I just received a possible job offer in a field that I really want to get into. I'm just wondering, since I don't seem to have too many problems on the job, or at least I haven't seen myself as having any. Should I still mention I have AS or some form of PDD? I am still trying to get into the supported employment program regardless, because they can help me with living and survival skills. I'm very leary of stipulating I have some sort of condition and then not being hired. Or, should I wait until some sort of incident arises, if it ever does, that I would be forced to say it?

- Ray M -

sc
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2006, 2:02 am

When I told an employment agency I had disabilities, after that time no job offers came.

pzrn
Raven
Raven

06 May 2006, 2:39 am

Personally, I wouldn't tell. I'm more of a task-oriented type person as opposed to a people-oriented type person. Most employers just want the task/work done in an efficient manner. AS traits have helped me more than hendered me in the workplace, more focused on getting the work done as opposed to socializing with the other employees. I've only had two people to approach me about the possibility of my having AS/or some AS traits, but they are trained to notice such things and they saw it in a positive light. I hope it works out for you, I'm sure that you'll do great.

Good luck!

Jacob_Landshire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 May 2006, 7:04 am

There's probably nothing to be gained in mentioning your condition right off. Its a very tight job market, a least where I am, and employers usually have a stack of applicants to choose from. Any perceived defect will most likely disqualify you.

If you get the job, and after a while it becomes obvious to your co-workers that you are abnormal, I would mention it to whoever you get along with the best. Someone you know will tell the others. I think that telling your boss about your condition in a formal way will make him uncomfortable.

Of course many job applications ask if you have any disabilities (I always answer no to this question). I suppose that you could be fired for lying on your application if at some later point you come out and say you have AS. Then again firing an employee who is disabled might be the cause of some sticky legal issues that your company would want to avoid.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2006, 12:05 pm

There's no point mentioning your AS to the employer. Jobs are hard enough for us Aspies and at any rate, the traits are there and will be noticed anyway.

applesauce
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 May 2006, 6:41 am

This is a dilemma of my own in some respects also. I began this job I have now in the public sector two years ago - before I was diagnosed - and now I am, I have not broached the subject with my line manager or any of the staff.

My doctor has told me that I do not need to mention it to them, since it is a developmental disorder and NOT a mental disorder. In some instances, I feel it would be helpful if my colleagues knew but like you, I'm a little edgy about actually telling them.

The bottom line is, I think, if you feel you can cope with the job and don't think your AS will matter, there's no need for them to know. Maybe, when youve done the job for some time and proven your worth at it, that's the time to come clean. That's sort of how I'm thinking anyhow - although I haven't actually bitten the bullet yet.

Apple

cyrus1874
Raven
Raven

08 May 2006, 8:34 pm

The word disability can scare some employers. I would try to avoid it because the interview will show who you are to the employer. We may not have strong "people" skills but we have other, more technical, skills that will appeal to employers. If your disibility comes up at the interview be honest about it but give the positive traits of AS as well.

danielcanberra
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 May 2006, 9:19 am

NO.

danielcanberra

26 May 2006, 9:20 am

NO.

rearden
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 May 2006, 1:39 pm

Definitely do not mention it. People, in general, aren't too bright. Mention that you have any kind of mental disorder and I can almost guarantee the interviewer will think one of two things:

"Uh oh, I wonder if this guy is going to be out of work all the time for doctor visits or if he'll have psycho freakout episodes and scare everyone. I better go with a safer choice.."

"Oh, it's one of those people who say they have some crazy mental disorder so they can make excuses for being lazy and not getting anything done. NEXT!"