Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 1:49 am

Quote:
Following this review, a description of limitations (if any) will be noted and you will be assigned an appropriate and approved medical category. Applicants will not be medically disqualified on the basis of a diagnosis or disease, but only because of medical limitations affecting employment.

Does this mean high functioning aspies can join the Canadian military?

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 1:55 am

Call the recruiters from a pay phone and ask.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 2:26 am

Tory_canuck wrote:
Quote:
Following this review, a description of limitations (if any) will be noted and you will be assigned an appropriate and approved medical category. Applicants will not be medically disqualified on the basis of a diagnosis or disease, but only because of medical limitations affecting employment.

Does this mean high functioning aspies can join the Canadian military?

watching the basic training videos [the slice of life scenario videos posted on the canadian forces website], i saw several NCMs [sergeants and petty officers] who seemed awfully aspie to me. go to the canadian forces website and watch the videos for yourself and see.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 3:39 am

As far as I am aware, engagement with the regular force or reserve force is not contraindicated by reason of an Aspie diagnosis alone.

However, this would lead to a secondary medical examination for occupational fitness, and depending upon the results of that assessment, a candidate might be determined to be unfit for service.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 12:40 am

visagrunt wrote:
As far as I am aware, engagement with the regular force or reserve force is not contraindicated by reason of an Aspie diagnosis alone.

However, this would lead to a secondary medical examination for occupational fitness, and depending upon the results of that assessment, a candidate might be determined to be unfit for service.

If that's the case, then I should have no issues since I am very high functioning to the point where I can drive, live independently, and graduate from college and get a good letter of recommendation from my practicum lawyer and an above average practicum assessment. I used a computer program which we were not trained to use in college, but I used my related skills to adapt and use it just as proficiently as if I did learn it. I did a practice CFAT test on the website and did really well on that. I thrive on solving problems and my college instructors say that although some of my ways are unconventional, I still get it done.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!