Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 11:48 am

It was so bad, I'm laughing about it. I can't believe how awful I was. First, it caught me off-guard. It was a position that I didn't have the education for (I have an AS and this required a minimum of a four-year degree) so I never expected to be called. I fumbled talking about my education and my work experience. Next, it was a position for a college and she started asking me questions about the place... which I really didn't know! Even if I knew, I wouldn't have that information immediately on-hand out of the blue. I did the worst thing possible and tried to BS. I mentioned their legal program and she quickly reminded me that they only have medical programs. Oops! Then she called me out on how little experience I had to justify applying for this position... but she was really nice about it so if I'd been on my game, I probably could have gone further if I'd been charming, had the right answers and wooed her into liking me as a person.

I totally failed it. NOW I can think of all the things I could've said. But I didn't even have my resume in front of me!

Wow. That was possibly the worst phone call I've ever had. So, at least I know I won't be working there. LOL

Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2011, 9:40 am

wefunction wrote:
It was so bad, I'm laughing about it. I can't believe how awful I was. First, it caught me off-guard. It was a position that I didn't have the education for (I have an AS and this required a minimum of a four-year degree) so I never expected to be called. I fumbled talking about my education and my work experience. Next, it was a position for a college and she started asking me questions about the place... which I really didn't know! Even if I knew, I wouldn't have that information immediately on-hand out of the blue. I did the worst thing possible and tried to BS. I mentioned their legal program and she quickly reminded me that they only have medical programs. Oops! Then she called me out on how little experience I had to justify applying for this position... but she was really nice about it so if I'd been on my game, I probably could have gone further if I'd been charming, had the right answers and wooed her into liking me as a person.

I totally failed it. NOW I can think of all the things I could've said. But I didn't even have my resume in front of me!

Wow. That was possibly the worst phone call I've ever had. So, at least I know I won't be working there. LOL

You should screen your calls. Potential employers usually leave a voicemail message with their contact details.