I'm XX years old, unemployed, and Aspie. Add your name here

Page 6 of 10 [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 10:14 am

36, just moved to ohio ... had job lined up and it didn't work out. :( Restaurant market seems pretty strong here though, so hopefully can get back on the horse pretty soon.

Right now, I have full time work sitting in government assistance offices for HOURS, and putting applications out.

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2011, 5:37 pm

I'm 28, unemployed and an Aspie.
I've a degree in Japanese with Chinese, and want to work abroad doing International Development work. Been out of work for years since graduated, as got depressed, and couldn't work. Tried to get ESA but the g/ment assessed me as fine. Think I can work now and am trying to get p/t job, though economy isn't helping.

introversal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Nov 2011, 5:50 pm

I'm 27.

I had a really good job that accommodated for most of my special needs, but the highly social environment was too much for me to take. I wish I had spoken up about my condition sooner, but it is what it is. I'm having confidence issues going into the next job. It took all my energy to put forward a cheery face for this one.

I have a French degree, and my last two jobs were both communications and design-related. Part of the challenge of the job I just had was how much coding it involved. So I'm looking for something without coding (or less coding), and it's more of a challenge (but hopefully not insurmountable).

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 10:12 pm

26 , unemployed and aspie

freebird1987
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Nov 2011, 3:18 pm

I'm 24, underemployed, and an Aspie. I work part-time and unable to find a full time job.

Ksim
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Nov 2011, 12:11 am

23 here, Aspie (though sometimes I dispute this) and presently unemployed.
I was studying in the direction of Teaching but ended up being unable to go to university
after the tuition fees went up. It was too expensive. So right now I'm just biding my time.

No idea what I intend to do at this stage. Sometimes I'm just waiting for the big economic
collapse to come because I feel there is nothing more we can do.

Quote:
I'm 28, unemployed and an Aspie.
I've a degree in Japanese with Chinese, and want to work abroad doing International Development work. Been out of work for years since graduated, as got depressed, and couldn't work. Tried to get ESA but the g/ment assessed me as fine. Think I can work now and am trying to get p/t job, though economy isn't helping.

Everyone who tries to claim ESA has to go through the insane medical. Apparently the government pays the person doing the "medical"
£70 or something for every person they find "fit" for work. There's been so many cases of people being found "fit" for employment
despite having terminal cancer and only 6 weeks to live or a very bad heart condition.

The way around it is to simply appeal. The majority of people get their cases reviewed and then are approved for ESA.
Its just a silly system but there are ways around it.

jesseiNhD
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Nov 2011, 2:46 am

I am 19 years old, unemployed diagnosed schizophrenia spectrum: schizoid/typal + OCD of age 13 + 3 past years of chronic insomnia.

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 11:49 am

I'm 26, currently unemployed, and while I don't believe in aspergers at all, I guess you can say I do fill the traits of it. I have a great resume but I am not top notch on communication skills. I chose accounting as my field of choice only to find out that the only virtual way I have a shot at getting an accounting job is by first working in public accounting, and the only way I can get a job in public accounting is to have a car salesman-type personality. Eight years and about $70,000 later, I've decided to pursue other options.

Nick9075
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2011, 12:00 pm

MacDragard wrote:
I'm 26, currently unemployed, and while I don't believe in aspergers at all, I guess you can say I do fill the traits of it. I have a great resume but I am not top notch on communication skills. I chose accounting as my field of choice only to find out that the only virtual way I have a shot at getting an accounting job is by first working in public accounting, and the only way I can get a job in public accounting is to have a car salesman-type personality. Eight years and about $70,000 later, I've decided to pursue other options.

Same here except I am 10 years older than you and basically unemployable and I have to 'start over'.

I occasionally get temp jobs -- the most recent one was with a financial services company in NYC that ended after 3 days -- no reason was given only that 'the client ended your assignment'. Somehow I don't give off the right vibe or something even though I thought I was picking up the work well

Nick9075
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2011, 12:04 pm

Nick9075 wrote:
MacDragard wrote:

Same here except I am 10 years older than you and basically unemployable and I have to 'start over'. The personality you talk about above also applies to many of these financial services companies. Somehow I cannot keep a job and get fired for very vague reasons or no reason.

I occasionally get temp jobs -- the most recent one was with a financial services company in NYC that ended after 3 days -- no reason was given only that 'the client ended your assignment'. Somehow I don't give off the right vibe or something even though I thought I was picking up the work well

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 12:46 pm

Nick9075 wrote:
MacDragard wrote:

Same here except I am 10 years older than you and basically unemployable and I have to 'start over'.

That's what I don't get either. From my experience, when companies decide not to hire you after an interview or choose to fire you, they never EVER tell you directly that it's because your social skills are not up to par with what they're looking for. If you ask and that's the case, they'll either not respond to you or they'll give you a frivolous reason as to why they chose someone over you. I feel like the main reason why I lost the job I had was because I didn't fit in with the staff members, even though they said it was because I wasn't as experienced as they thought I would be upon hiring me.

Caribou

10 Nov 2011, 4:02 pm

I'm 23, unemployed and not an aspie.

I have only worked once in my life and it was during the summer. It was part-time, only lasted two weeks before I was laid off and I think the only reason I was hired was because I had another person with me during the interview and they liked that person.

NathanealWest
Toucan
Toucan

11 Nov 2011, 9:50 am

I'm 24, unemployed. I was a janitor for a week during the summer. I l was let go, it was pretty fast and I don't remember the reason anymore. I'm trying to sign back into the agency that helped me get the job. They're having trouble returning calls. I don't know where to turn.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 1:13 am

I'm 30, going to work for an Amazon.com warehouse for the season, but will be unemployed after that.

kurai

12 Nov 2011, 10:29 pm

32 and unemployed. never had a job for more than some weeks or perhaps a few month. no finished education eiter. even the employment center does not know what to do with me, yay. -.-
aspie... sort of, i definitly lack a lot of skills and abilitys which are necessary to get a regular job. first of all the ability to stay in a room with the same people for a long period of time or do something i was told in a period of time i cannot determine myself.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 1:11 am

I'm a 41 year old unemployed aspie.
I've worked a grand total of 7 months since 2001.
4 months in 2005 on a temp gig where my dad works, helping the cable network he forks for move their facilities. I was installing video equipment & running cables.

then I recently worked 3 months at a 7-11 convenient store. That was a total NIGHTMARE! Definitely not a job for aspies. I just plain stopped showing up without any notice.

Before 2001, I used to build web sites and do graphic design. But the internet bubble burst and I never recovered.

I have been surviving with financial assistance from my dad. But he's getting older now and close to retirement.
That makes me really nervous. I really do not want to take the public assistance route, I can't stand dealing with bureaucracies, they make me crazy.

I have a pseudo "job" coming up at the first of the year, doing some work I can do at home "crunching numbers".
That should be fine for me since I love math. I'll be paid a piecework rate. Hopefully this can prove to be something stable until I can learn more about computer programming and get some help with job search skills.