Cant find job and autism is to blame.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

NoMoreRegrets94
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2021, 3:31 pm

I am running out of money and can't find a job because I have autism (no connections) and I am of ethnic minority (no employer will hire me). It sucks and I already have dark thoughts.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 3:34 pm

NoMoreRegrets94 wrote:
I am running out of money and can't find a job because I have autism (no connections) and I am of ethnic minority (no employer will hire me). It sucks and I already have dark thoughts.
I have PDD/NOS with expressions of PTSD.  Some of my ancestry is indigenous to pre-Columbian North America.

Earning a university degree seems to have carried me further than my "quirks" would have held me back.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 7:27 am

Why wouldn't employers hire you for being ethnic minority? Where I come from (the UK) it's racially illegal for employers not to hire ethnic minorities.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 8:41 am

While discrimination do excist, against females, asians, africans, neurodiversity, sexuality etc, I feel that many use it as an excuse for other shortcomings.
It may well be that the person wasn't fit for the job, or just didn't click with the interviewer, or something else not at all connected with discrimination.
This does not necessarily have anything to do with NoMoreRegrets94, just a remark in general

/Mats

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 9:27 am

Had a candidate on a Zoom link last year.  At first sight, he looked good -- he met all the qualifications.  He also lived in the area, had his own transportation, and seemed to understand our business.  However, he spoke in an aggressive 'street' patois sprinkled with profanity and slang, which made the rest of us feel uncomfortable.

Other candidates were at least as qualified -- with better manners -- and we hired someone else to fill that position.

Later received a nasty-gram email accusing discrimination against him because he used a wheelchair, which was not at all evident during the Zoom conference.  He never mentioned it during the conference or in any previous correspondence, either.

Some people seem to not understand how they present themselves is at least as important as their qualifications.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2021, 3:56 pm

Out of curiosity, what kinds of jobs have you applied for/ are you looking for?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2021, 12:43 pm

NoMoreRegrets94 wrote:

Please don’t be afraid of dark thoughts. Maybe draw a lesson from zen meditation of not giving an unwanted thought extra power by either trying to hold onto it nor trying to push it out of your mind.

Instead, simply watch the thought float around with perfect zen indifference, and it will eventually float out of its own accord. And yes, like most theories, this theory is probably overstated. But I think there is a lot to it.

And, Hell Yes, there is racial discrimination.

I wish there wasn’t. But here in Houston, Texas, especially if I go to a sports bar, I can occasionally hear direct discrimination. And much more commonly, especially it seems with younger white guys, they will deny even an obvious case like discrimination with the police or the criminal justice system. But with even the barest hint of “reverse discrimination,” they’re all over it.

People are self-serving, and just plain weird. And that’s all there is to it.