With others 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I'm a very laid-back kind of person 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I'm a very laid-back kind of person 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 34

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2004, 4:24 pm

Which style is the easiest way for you to work?

Catffienated
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2004, 4:36 pm

Alone. If I work in groups, other people mess up what I could do fine by myself.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2004, 5:15 pm

Catffienated wrote:
Alone. If I work in groups, other people mess up what I could do fine by myself.

Quite. :evil:

Dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2004, 7:07 pm

It really depends on the job. If it's a quiet job i'd rather just work away by myself, if it's busy, I would prefer to work with others, you can help each other out.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2004, 2:25 pm

I see alones all across the board now. Am I noticing a pattern?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2004, 11:32 am

Just a reminder, this poll runs until Christmas. You all have two weeks to express your thoughts. The purpose of this poll was to just ask the question that I did out of curiosity.

Zephyr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Dec 2004, 2:02 pm

I prefer to work alone, both in college and in work. I work part-time in a health food store and my main job is weighing food, this means that I am alone at the back of the shop for the whole day. The other people that work there say that they would hate my job as it's so boring and lonely but I really like it. I even find it relaxing!! :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2004, 7:12 am

I tend to enjoy working with others. I like the social contact and the hype of doing Team Work. It makes the day go faster and I feel that I'm a part of something bigger. By working with others, I mean that I like to do Team Work with Co-workers. I don't mean that I enjoy being Babysat by a Job Coach, which I clearly don't.

Unfortunatley, all of the Job Agencies that I've gone to have placed me into Jobs that are a little too socially isolating for a person with the mind and Accent of a chatty Cockney. I didn't even see those places as real Job Sites. I saw them as Prisons, because I felt so socially isolated.

kevtufc
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2004, 8:30 am

I do generally like to work alone. Mainly for the same reasons others have given. What I think works best, though, is a sort of compromise. Where I used to work, I was in an office with about 12 others sitting at desks nearby. We all got to know each other pretty well and, although we were basically working alone at different projects, there was always someone around with expertise in pretty much any area you could just ask for input on something.

Working alone can be easier, but sometimes you need someone else to get a different perspective on a problem - or just to point out something that you couldn't see but that should be obvious.

Anna
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2004, 4:48 pm

kevtufc wrote:
I do generally like to work alone. Mainly for the same reasons others have given. What I think works best, though, is a sort of compromise. Where I used to work, I was in an office with about 12 others sitting at desks nearby. We all got to know each other pretty well and, although we were basically working alone at different projects, there was always someone around with expertise in pretty much any area you could just ask for input on something.

Working alone can be easier, but sometimes you need someone else to get a different perspective on a problem - or just to point out something that you couldn't see but that should be obvious.

Oh yeah - that's true.
Pair Programming, for example, is great. You get two geeks working together on one programming problem and they can code together way faster and more accurate better problem solving, than if they were working alone.

OTOH - I've been in "group" situations where too many people were just idjits and I would go nuts trying to explain to them that they were WRONG. They would complain that I had a bad attitude. Ugh.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2004, 4:59 pm

how do i like to work?

reluctantly.

echospectra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2004, 10:11 pm

vetivert wrote:
how do i like to work?

reluctantly.

You like to work reluctantly? You're a masochist!!

I suppose you meant to say, "not very much." :)

Sorry for being a linguistic maniac :oops:

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2004, 4:06 am

yay, echospectra - you get points for that!

i, too, am a linguistic maniac/pedant. i should have noticed and didn't (perhaps i was using artistic licence - "reluctantly" is more punchy that "not at all, if i can avoid it". but i digress...).

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2004, 1:46 pm

You all have one more week to vote in this poll. Then, it couldn't be any more fitting for me to say, "Merry Christmas, the poll is over!"

Tekneek
Toucan
Toucan

23 Dec 2004, 1:28 pm

I know this is wrong, and selfish, but I like to have team members around at my convenience but being able to keep them away when I need to work alone. Half of my work week is spent working alone, and the other half is when the entire team is usually around. I've found that I am often out of touch with what is happening due to this, so I try to reach out to other team members and find out what news they are aware of that did not make it to our email lists. I've worked with most of them for a few years now, so I am fairly comfortable trying to talk with them. They aren't turned off by any of the things I do, because they've been around to know I'm 'just that way' and don't judge me by it.

Mel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2004, 5:02 pm

My extremely limited work history (always working with others) as made me realise I'd much prefer working alone lol.