Do Aspies have a hard time finding jobs?

Page 2 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

krex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 10:38 pm

Congratulations!! !! !

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

ElectricBlue
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Dec 2006, 4:51 pm

I only got my first full time job when I was 25. Before that I was previously told I had good interview techniques but never secured a position. :cry:

Grim
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2006, 5:31 pm

I do well in interview by recalling information about the company I am applying to etc. I have a hard time keeping jobs though, I have not yet been sacked (I am only 19 so there is still plenty of time for that.) I find jobs so stressful and have problems fitting in with the other staff members.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2006, 1:47 am

yeah I have had a tough time finding a job. By the way, your avatar is way too big, maybe you should think about should think about reducing it.

meinsla
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Dec 2006, 1:50 am

Legalize_Freedom_Now wrote:
I've found that never mentioning that you have Asperger's is a great way to get and keep a job.

Why in God's name would you ever tell your employer about having AS? Why not add that you're lazy and don't like showing up on time while you're at it.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2006, 6:41 pm

meinsla wrote:
I've found that never mentioning that you have Asperger's is a great way to get and keep a job.

Why in God's name would you ever tell your employer about having AS? Why not add that you're lazy and don't like showing up on time while you're at it.

Lazy and dont show up for work on time....those are NT traits as far as my job experience.I am always early and people are jumping a the bit to leave early and think nothing of coming in 10min to an hour late...Dont even get me started on LAZY.If emplyers had any cle as to how good aspie workers are it would be a plus on your resume.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Space
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2007, 2:44 pm

meinsla wrote:

I agree. If anything to do with you having AS if a problem for your employer, they will bring it up on their own. Saying you have something like AS just invites them to not hire you, or if they do, find things wrong with the way you work and blame it on AS. I just want to have enough money and education that I only have to work part-time (if at all).

sderenzi
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jan 2007, 4:25 pm

I've had a hard time finding work before, I'm just so fortunate to have a ridiculious job right now that pays me for basically nothing. Anyway I fear the future once this ends, where I shall go and end up at... work is hard and people are scary :-P

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2007, 5:05 pm

sderenzi wrote:
I've had a hard time finding work before, I'm just so fortunate to have a ridiculious job right now that pays me for basically nothing. Anyway I fear the future once this ends, where I shall go and end up at... work is hard and people are scary :-P

What do you do?

- Emerson

sderenzi
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jan 2007, 7:52 pm

I work @ a FedEx Kinko's, but not an Office & Print Center, just a Ship Center. If you work there it's easier than the other. If I had to be in an Office & Print I'd go outta my mind cuz so many people come in there and need help with so many different things, it'd drive me insane.... seeing how stupid people can be isn't easy :-Z

Cernunnos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2007, 11:20 am

I never had much of a problem getting to the interview stage, basically because I could always put together a good CV or application form. My problem came at interview, where I'm sure that the interviewers thought I was some sort of loony for not making enough or poor eye contact, combine with mumbling & poor body language. Had to teach myself how to do it and I managed to get into a reasonable post - luckily I've stayed employed since.

Never had a job I could stand though, because I always seem to end up in posts that have no real routine to them, and the fire-fighting always messes up my planning. I stick it out for family's sake. I'm now in charge of some staff - what a laugh - my social skills in dealing with their petty day-to-day differences and whinges are practically zero. Shouldn't grumble though, because I've done OK despite my lack of empathy. It's amazing what fronts you can put up despite everything!

Space
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2007, 11:52 pm

The lady at Quizno's offered me a job today when I was getting my sub. Woo-hoo. :roll:

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 1:33 pm

I kind of walk into all the jobs I got. Try a 'temp' agency, they can at least provide you experience. Eventually, you may land a job.

The only job interview I bombed was for a tech helpline - boohoo :wink:

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 10:02 am

meinsla wrote:

That's incredibly negative and only pandering to the negative stereotypes that exist about us.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

desert_rat
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jan 2007, 9:42 pm

Well, I was lucky that the school I went to had a job interviewing class that told you basics of body language and enough social skills to master the whole process. Most people thought it was rather pointless, but it helped me immensly. Ironically though, since the interview for the job I was seeking was in Arizona and I lived in Pennsylvania at the time, the entire interview process was done by telephone, which sure as hell made everything easier on me.

I got the job, and they also really like the fact that I am on time all the time, work hard, and don't waste time with chit chat. I even surprised the owner of the company by having a supervisor who is very hard on people call me an extermely hard worker. He said he never heard this from this supervisor before. So overall, I guess I've been blessed by circumstance, but if you can get past the akwardness of the interviews, most employers will really like your AS traits, and generally ignore the limitations.

-VS-
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jan 2007, 10:57 pm

I had no trouble getting a job. I went to turn in my application and the manager came up front and I had an impromptu interview which went something like this.

Manager: HEY YOU SEEM SOMEWHAT SMART AND CAN SPEAK ENGLISH FLUENTLY AS WELL AS WRITE HEY GUESS WHAT YOU'RE HIRED

-VS-: Um, okay