Two years of looking...still no job...thinking of giving up

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KusanagiShiro
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2013, 3:46 pm

I have applied to every single hiring business in the county, and have been turned away for all entry level positions. 99% of the time, I cannot even get an interview, and now I cannot even seem to get anything through the State Department of Rehabilitation. If they can't place me, I am going to give up and resort to begging and/or stealing to survive in life.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 4:25 pm

You should give up.

If you can't find a job, make one.

Every single business on the planet was made by someone.
Start your own. Somehow.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 6:22 pm

KusanagiShiro wrote:
I have applied to every single hiring business in the county, and have been turned away for all entry level positions. 99% of the time, I cannot even get an interview, and now I cannot even seem to get anything through the State Department of Rehabilitation. If they can't place me, I am going to give up and resort to begging and/or stealing to survive in life.

Blacksmith, LEARN TRADE SKILLS, they will save your life one day, when you need to make a car from scrap metal, or when your wife needs a hanging rack and you can make one your self. Machine Forging quality works of art turns out at tops, 400 dollars for factories, on hatchets. Hand Forging turns out let's say $400+ on hatchets, if you know what your doing and have the right equipment. But the thing is Hand Forging is more profitable, you can either turn out high enough output or high enough price, and it is still considered higher quality than machine forged. Let's say with a "custom order any blade you could sketch" offer priced at $500 you would only need make a hundred to get a $50,000 profit. That says something. It can be done, it is just something the more impatient people of the world do not want to wait for, nor do they appreciate metallurgy and blacksmithing as much as they should, Japan already reaps the benefits of preserving their blacksmithing roots.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 8:11 pm

1401b wrote:
You should give up.

If you can't find a job, make one.

Every single business on the planet was made by someone.
Start your own. Somehow.

To start a business, you need money.
To get money, you need a job.
Without a job, how do propose this difficulty is resolved?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 9:41 pm

KusanagiShiro wrote:

What kind of credentials do you have? Have you considered stretching the truth a little? Not that I blame you for considering theft, but it seems like lying will land you in less trouble than stealing.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 10:20 pm

Need to know more about your background.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 4:57 am

It sounds like you tried really hard to get a job. Have you tried applying for ssi?

Xlexa
Raven
Raven

25 May 2013, 8:11 pm

Yep. Turn to exotic dancing after 8 months of searching, and getting crappy entry wage jobs with less than 10 hrs a week.

I couldn't handle being unemployed.

this is how I am feeling right now....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixx66T-FPYM

---

you're in California... there has to be a market for you if you're not a woman.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 9:01 pm

If you are thinking of starting your own company, go to your town's department of economics and businesses. See what courses they can offer for free, like on marketing, making business plans, etc. "fail to plan and plan to fail" is a really old and tired, but true cliché. I did a contract researching small businesses, and I saw that statement in action more times than I will care to admit. But I think it can be done if approached in the right way.

Xlexa
Raven
Raven

25 May 2013, 9:12 pm

managertina wrote:
If you are thinking of starting your own company, go to your town's department of economics and businesses. See what courses they can offer for free, like on marketing, making business plans, etc. "fail to plan and plan to fail" is a really old and tired, but true cliché. I did a contract researching small businesses, and I saw that statement in action more times than I will care to admit. But I think it can be done if approached in the right way.

no offense, but I really doubt this person wants to start a business. I wouldn't even recommend it right now unless the person is driven to succeed running a business, which is not easy, it will be like working two full-time jobs.

it takes money to start one, unless he plans on putting a lemonade stand outside.... (that takes at least 10 bucks though)

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 11:26 pm

Xlexa wrote:
managertina wrote:

no offense, but I really doubt this person wants to start a business. I wouldn't even recommend it right now unless the person is driven to succeed running a business, which is not easy, it will be like working two full-time jobs.

it takes money to start one, unless he plans on putting a lemonade stand outside.... (that takes at least 10 bucks though)

No offense taken. I do, though, know something about what it takes to run a small business, including budget management, failure rates, and such, because I was in daily contact with hundreds of small businesses for a while. I did not think that the individual had intended to start a business. And I don't really recommend it either, personally, especially when it comes to niche stores and restaurants.

But it is important to know that these municipal departments do, in many cases, exist. During my contract, I spoke with a lot of businesses that did not know about the services my centre offered. Or the help that was available.

Don't give up looking for work. It has taken me four years and over fifty interviews to get made permanent. And yes, there were periods where I had nothing to do. My story may likely not be similar to yours, but I just want to offer encouragement.

Forkliftoperator
Raven
Raven

27 May 2013, 12:39 am

Have you tried looking in Canada, particularly in Alberta and Saskatchewan? If you are a warm breathing body with a driver licence, you have a good chance, especially with the oil patch.

paddy26
Toucan
Toucan

27 May 2013, 5:36 pm

I'm sort of in the same position, I've done an internship for a few months but that finished a year ago. As much as I like the routine I find constantly applying for jobs only to receive not reply most of the time disheartening.

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 3:22 pm

appletheclown wrote:
KusanagiShiro wrote:

Blacksmith, LEARN TRADE SKILLS, they will save your life one day, when you need to make a car from scrap metal, or when your wife needs a hanging rack and you can make one your self. Machine Forging quality works of art turns out at tops, 400 dollars for factories, on hatchets. Hand Forging turns out let's say $400+ on hatchets, if you know what your doing and have the right equipment. But the thing is Hand Forging is more profitable, you can either turn out high enough output or high enough price, and it is still considered higher quality than machine forged. Let's say with a "custom order any blade you could sketch" offer priced at $500 you would only need make a hundred to get a $50,000 profit. That says something. It can be done, it is just something the more impatient people of the world do not want to wait for, nor do they appreciate metallurgy and blacksmithing as much as they should, Japan already reaps the benefits of preserving their blacksmithing roots.

Those figures are pretty close. I used to make my own Tomahawks and Adzes and made about 250-300€ for one. The problem is you still have to buy materials. If you don't have another job, you don't have the money coming in to set up a shop.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 3:32 pm

I agree with the tradeskills idea, although perhaps not blacksmithing. Welding or carpentry are two that I recommend since they're often in high demand...and anything in the medical field is practically a sure bet.

But you never answered the most important question asked in this thread: what skills or experience do you have? If you don't have any that's fine too, in that case you just need to find a way to get some.

azaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2013, 8:05 am

KusanagiShiro wrote:

Have you tired a different approach or way in searching for a job? I suggest searching on kijiji or craiglist. They have classified ads on the job section. Make sure you have a phone to answer phone calls from employers, which I am sure you have.

Another approach is to apply online or in person at big companies like Walmart. Send a resume in store or apply online. Wait a week and then call the store asking to speak to the hiring manager. They will arrange a interview on the spot if they need somebody and they always need somebody because people quit or get fired all the time. Employer like that approach as it means that you are serious about finding and keeping a job. I found a job night shift using the apply and call tactic. Good luck and don't give up. Don't steal or you might find yourself sleeping in a cell. Get help from friends and family members if you need to. They will understand.