Should I just do a manual warehouse job forever?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2013, 3:58 pm

Should I just do a manual warehouse job forever?

People keep saying I need a proper career but nothing seems to workout when I do something different I just end up unemployed.

Is reality that your a slave to money then you die?

Wafflemarine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Oct 2013, 4:38 pm

Better then realizing that lesson in life after going to multiple years of college and racking up a debt. Just got to find some way of making that a career or getting a few more skills and getting a better paying warehouse job. Some can pay quite well. If you enjoy it or at least don't despise it and it gets you though life then I can't see it being a bad thing.

Ya you are a slave to the money, even the rich maybe more so since they are so obsessed with it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2013, 5:24 pm

for the person who has not mastered living off the grid, money is the undisputed master. my advice to the OP would be to save save SAVE whatever and wherever he can, for as long as he can, and put those savings into something which pays a fat dividend which will accumulate to a point where it becomes an income stream to exceed what he is making in wages. live as cheaply as you can for as long as you can in the meantime. if it means living in a rented room or somebody's trailer in their backyard, whatever works. if your work lacks health insurance, sign up for a bronze plan with your state or federal health insurance marketplace exchange, that will in many cases reduce your premium to ZERO. not having to pay for insurance will save you LOTS of $$$$ over a short amount of time.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2013, 5:28 pm

Why not? I make more in my warehouse job than I would of working at a bank (what I originally planned) plus I'm actually respected and treated well. The bank recruiter pretty much told in a very arrogant tone that they own your life once you sign on and can expect to move 2-3 times a year for about $30,000/yr. If that's a career then f*** that! The manager even told me if I wanted to make decent money I should volunteer to work for 3-6 months. Yes, an organization that's amongst the most profitable on the planet expects you to work for free. At least prisoners get paid something!

You are finding out the ugly truth as to how the world really works but here's some advice: don't try to recruit anyone or spread the "gospel" because most people will get very angry if you try to point it out. Many people just don't want to face reality sad to say. I agree with the advice to save, save, save and don't waste money on meaningless s***.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2013, 6:48 pm

Do you have to make that decision right now?
If you decide now to work at a warehouse job forever does that mean you're never allowed to change your mind never, ever, ever, ever, ever?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 8:17 am

Wafflemarine wrote:
Better then realizing that lesson in life after going to multiple years of college and racking up a debt. Just got to find some way of making that a career or getting a few more skills and getting a better paying warehouse job. Some can pay quite well. If you enjoy it or at least don't despise it and it gets you though life then I can't see it being a bad thing.

Ya you are a slave to the money, even the rich maybe more so since they are so obsessed with it.

+1

I have a college degree...double major...graduated with honors. Have a law degree too. Hate what I'm doing (paralegal...because I realized I hated the practice of law but nobody outside the legal profession takes me seriously).

Pay? [laughs]

Really have no benefits. Want a better job/career and it's insulting that someone with nothing more than a high school diploma has more options than I do because of my graduate degree.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 1:57 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Wafflemarine wrote:

+1

I have a college degree...double major...graduated with honors. Have a law degree too. Hate what I'm doing (paralegal...because I realized I hated the practice of law but nobody outside the legal profession takes me seriously).

Pay? [laughs]

Really have no benefits. Want a better job/career and it's insulting that someone with nothing more than a high school diploma has more options than I do because of my graduate degree.

That is true. Once you've chosen your field and studied/worked in it for years, then no one else will consider you.

Logan5
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2013, 7:07 pm

Twenty years ago, I would have said you should stick with your warehouse job if you are okay with it. These days, I am not so sure.
Improvements in computing and robotics means many jobs, especially those requiring few skills, are disappearing. See the links in this old thread: "The Robots Are Taking Our Jobs", http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt228740.html .

auntblabby wrote:
.... my advice to the OP would be to save save SAVE whatever and wherever he can, for as long as he can, and put those savings into something which pays a fat dividend which will accumulate to a point where it becomes an income stream to exceed what he is making in wages. live as cheaply as you can for as long as you can in the meantime....

^ That is excellent advice.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 7:12 pm

Logan5 wrote:
Twenty years ago, I would have said you should stick with your warehouse job if you are okay with it. These days, I am not so sure.
Improvements in computing and robotics means many jobs, especially those requiring few skills, are disappearing. See the links in this old thread: "The Robots Are Taking Our Jobs", http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt228740.html .

auntblabby wrote:
.... my advice to the OP would be to save save SAVE whatever and wherever he can, for as long as he can, and put those savings into something which pays a fat dividend which will accumulate to a point where it becomes an income stream to exceed what he is making in wages. live as cheaply as you can for as long as you can in the meantime....

^ That is excellent advice.

thank you :) that is precisely what I have tried to do with middling success.