Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Ornithicas
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Sep 2014, 3:59 pm

I live in the UK, and I've just started Sixth Form. I have yet to make any hard and fast plans on career choices (hence my quite unusual combination of chosen subjects), and I've just chosen subjects that I am both interested in, and good at. I tend to operate on similar logic to that of a phrase one of my friends is fond of: "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it." With that said, I am not sure I want to find myself in a situation like the one his sister is in right now?she's in the middle of a four-year mathematics degree and still has no idea what she wants to do.

Some time ago I had considered continuing education to study pathology at degree level, or perhaps something history based if that didn't go according to plan; they are of course very different, but neither ever cease to fascinate me. The former seemed more promising, though, for several reasons. Something founded in the study of e.g. infectious disease would satisfy my thanatological interests, and although pathologists apparently make less money than those in many other medical professions, the pay would be more than sufficient to rid me of student debts, especially since I will not be having children and will likely be single and unmarried. The only (somewhat) lucrative career I can think of in history is teaching, which I don't want anything to do with.

Recently, my mother suggested that I join the RAF when I'm 18?ultimately to become a biomedical scientist. I have little doubt that it would be extremely stressful for me at first; I've never been on a metro or bus completely on my own, and there's all the physical training etc. too, but my mother seems convinced that the pay-off will be worth it, because I'll get the chance to do something interesting without having to concern myself with debts. (I think one can enter at age 18 and do a BSc in biomedical science with the RAF, and all the baggage that comes with this sort of thing like driving licences; I may be wrong.)

She is also of the opinion that the strict adherence to routine and regimen that comes with military lifestyle would go well with my personality; my reclusiveness, my dislike of change, and so forth. It seems tempting, but I thought it was worth knowing what other people with my condition think of this idea.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 8:01 pm

the basic training will be extremely stressful, with lots of shouting and profanity and invective delivered at top of lungs of the drill instructors just inches or less from one's face. lots of close-order high-speed drill. lots of punishments for infractions. it won't be pleasant.

Gita
Raven
Raven

05 Sep 2014, 4:50 pm

I was in the military four one tour. I hated every moment. I got to pee in my pants in a ditch in frozen rainy weather. When I think of that moment, the torture, all the idiots soft in their beds while I suffered...

You have to be willing to take a bullet for people. That is at the heart of it.

It ended up that as much as I felt I had the proper massiah complex, I really dod not. Truthfully, when put on the spot, I would run and try to save my own life.

Understanding that about myself made it easy for me to push it to the side, and go on to college.

Teaching is not horrible. There are adult business trainers, and other types of teaching that do not involve elementary school.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 8:11 pm

I personally didn't have much issue with basic training, but that was because I knew not to take things personally. But I tend to be one of those laid back people.

Is it mainly pathology that you are interested in, or is it anything relating to disease and death?

There are a ton of fields under this that don't require RAF training, but you'll have to look around. I'm not saying that to discourage you from going in, but it's going to be a commitment for several years, plus you might have to expect to be sent into a warzone.