About to start a new job - advice needed : disclose or not

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Baudouin
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Dec 2015, 4:31 am

After a few years of freelancing at home/being unemployed I'm about to start working full time in an office again.

I need a refresher on the expected social behaviours. There are about 10 employees. Should I greet everyone of them every morning ? Only the work I work directly with ?

What are the social faux pas easily avoided ?

I'm going to work closely with one person. I haven't met her yet so I can only hope everything will be all right.

Also : I'm getting my official aspie-or-not diagnosis in 15 days. What's the consensus on what/how/when to disclose to an employer. (the first three months are a trial period).

Thanks in advance

http://www.somebaudy.com

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 7:50 am

Interesting screen name for a Belgian--the name of a recent King!

I would say, in most instances, that I wouldn't disclose that I have Asperger's.

It's true: discrimination is not allowed--but, alas, gossip has never been banned in offices!

I would greet, for the most part, people who are in your department. If somebody is in a different department (unless you have day-to-day dealings with that person), I wouldn't feel obligated to greet that person.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 9:49 am

I agree with Kraftie. In general, I would keep personal information to yourself for awhile at work. Pay attention to what kind of people everyone is first. How understanding they are. It might not be something you'd ever want them to know.

As to greeting people, yeah, just people in your immediate environment. Don't walk out of your way to go say good morning to someone. Just people who happen to be right next to you as you come in and go to your desk.