Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jul 2016, 10:03 am

Not a night stocker (wouldn't apply for that), but a regular one.

The thing is, the positions for stocker (and loads of other stuff) seem to have the descriptions of the jobs of 5 or more people, and seem to be combining customer service (cashier, customer assistance with finding stuff in isles), with stocking and other non-customer-confronting stuff.

The non-customer-confronting stuff is ok, but the stuff where I have to deal with customers a lot sounds unpleasant.

Has anyone here ever been a Hy-vee stocker before or known someone who has who could shed light on this?

I applied for Hy-vee (mainly to appear to be doing something to the job coach (jobs are scarce around here, though I think I may have found a good one in my field, but they seem to have put me on hold for 1 to 3 months and haven't done the 2nd round of interviews yet.) Hy-vee called me for an interview or suggested I set one up. (I had tried them before, but, last year, they had called when I was away on a family campout and when I called back, they had already gotten the position filled.)

Also, what scares me about Hy-vee is the hours (they are open about 24/7.) Though it didn't say "night stocker", I'm wondering, do they make you work the graveyard shift at these 24/7 joints?

In addition to being bad for your health, graveyard shifts are also when my meds would be totally worn off.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2016, 7:46 pm

DinoMongoosePenguin wrote:
Not a night stocker (wouldn't apply for that), but a regular one.

The thing is, the positions for stocker (and loads of other stuff) seem to have the descriptions of the jobs of 5 or more people, and seem to be combining customer service (cashier, customer assistance with finding stuff in isles), with stocking and other non-customer-confronting stuff.

The non-customer-confronting stuff is ok, but the stuff where I have to deal with customers a lot sounds unpleasant.

Has anyone here ever been a Hy-vee stocker before or known someone who has who could shed light on this?

I applied for Hy-vee (mainly to appear to be doing something to the job coach (jobs are scarce around here, though I think I may have found a good one in my field, but they seem to have put me on hold for 1 to 3 months and haven't done the 2nd round of interviews yet.) Hy-vee called me for an interview or suggested I set one up. (I had tried them before, but, last year, they had called when I was away on a family campout and when I called back, they had already gotten the position filled.)

Also, what scares me about Hy-vee is the hours (they are open about 24/7.) Though it didn't say "night stocker", I'm wondering, do they make you work the graveyard shift at these 24/7 joints?

In addition to being bad for your health, graveyard shifts are also when my meds would be totally worn off.

It's back breaking work, I quit as soon as I could which was three weeks into it.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 2:52 am

This is actually my current job, so I can explain! Yay!

So, the reason it sounds like part of it is customer service is that usually you'll be getting some shifts that are basically all customer service. You will not be doing stocking stuff every shift. For me, usually about half of my shifts are Courtesy Clerk (bagging groceries, helping customers carry stuff out, etc.) and about half are Helper Clerk (stocking, doing Courtesy Clerk stuff if the kids who only do that can't handle the number of customers). Some shifts are split; I do a CC shift, clock out for lunch, then clock back in for a HC one.

Your job is basically to pick up slack; you do the stuff the checkers don't have time for and the Courtesy Clerks aren't qualified for or legally can't do (they're often teens... so, child labor laws).

I don't know if you'd be required to do night shifts; I've never worked in a 24/7 store. I have gotten morning crew shifts occasionally; they're actually pretty easy aside from getting up at an ungodly hour. Customers coming in really early or late tend to be pretty low-key people. They're either really tired or still waking up.

Note that this business does require flexible hours. You will not be working the same schedule each week. That can be hard for aspies; it makes life a little unpredictable.

If you have more specific questions, go for it. I'll answer what I can.

HisShadowX wrote:
It's back breaking work, I quit as soon as I could which was three weeks into it.

It can be. I'm definitely sore at the end of the week. It gets better with time... and hey; despite having extreme difficulty walking past the bakery without getting a donut, I've lost weight since I started the job! :lol:

I highly recommend investing in a pair of comfortable, high-quality work boots with good soles you can stand in for 8 hours at a time. Ideally steel-toed. Know how much a pallet of 2-liters weighs? I'll tell you it's a lot more than you want on your foot.