I find your lack of ambition disturbing.

Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 9:56 pm

Hexen wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Hexen wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
You still haven't explain why "ambition" is so good.

Ambition makes you strive to attain goals, to better yourself, to live a higher standard of life. By your logic, why not live in a cardboard box and beg for food?

My logic? I stated what my goals are earlier in the thread.

Your logic, as in implying that ambition is bad.

Asking what's good about it isn't implying it's bad. You haven't explained your position beyond telling everyone who questions your vague OP that their opinion is sad, or claiming they're bitter.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 10:05 pm

Hexen wrote:
So many of you are coming off as angry at me, just for bringing this to discussion. These comments lead me to believe that a lot of you are bitter.

Nah mate, not angry with you at all!
What I was trying to say is that people often want different things. It's a personal taste and lifestyle thing. As people we are all different, and that's a wonderful thing too because otherwise it would be a terribly boring world.

As for the house vs apartment thing, it's another area where there are pros and cons for each.
My main residence is a very comfortable apartment in a nice building in a capital city in Australia. It's very secure and has great views off the large balcony. It's a great lifestyle with many restaurants and cafes within walking distance and easy to get to places through public transport. As I spend most of my time away from home with business and sporting matters I can simply lock the door and leave. No yard to worry about and the motion sensing cameras I have push video to my iphone should anyone get in through the multiple levels of security. Unless you're spiderman and can climb up the vertical walls of a tall building and drill a hole through double glazed glass you probably won't be getting in. I find the security and safety when I'm home very reassuring. Sure the place doesn't have a yard and white picket fence, but that doesn't bother me at all. The place is worth about triple what I paid for it many years ago and suits my lifestyle perfectly. I'm happy with it.

As for being ambitious we all get to set the goals for ourselves, nobody else gets a say. I'm now living the lifestyle that I've been planning for many years by working less, laughing more and spending a lot more "me" time on my sporting pursuits. I've no ambition to have a "status" job with an impressive title and people sucking up to me. YMMV.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 1:12 pm

Nick9075 wrote:
Hexen wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I f*****g hate living in an apartment, and I'd love to own my own home some day, but I'm not sure how I'd do it. I don't desire anything extravagant either, just a small place in a quiet area. Hell, a trailer on a small plot of land on the outskirts of town would be just fine by me.

Look into medical technology. It's good pay and much easier to get into than medical school.

I will be 42 in june. too late to change careers and stuck in this perma temp hell.

It can be done.

I changed at age 40, with a family, and a move to another state.

You're more capable than you think.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 1:29 pm

I'm not sure if I should post here because of my differences.

When only 19 I met (and married at age 20) a beautiful NT goddess...how this happened
I'm not exactly sure, she said/says something about my good traits...I suggest everyone
develop good traits.

Moving along.....We decided we would have children (2) and that, if it was possible,
living in a house would be best (for many reasons) for them. It took a while but
eventually we were able to do so. We feel this was indeed beneficial for our kids.

But many of the "downsides" mentioned here are true, and now, a little older, some
of these things are coming true.

So we'll sell this house soon...the extra money will help "pad" our retirement. But if
I started over today I'd start saving for a down payment sooner than we had. In
addition, instead of selling at age 74 I believe we would sell around retirement time,
to make our "golden years" more enjoyable and less money oriented.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 11:09 pm

My apartment is clean, well-lit, and quite nice. It doesn't have more space than a single person not raising children needs.

I'd rather be well-read, well-traveled, well-loved, and healthy than focus on getting a car, a house, or a fancy title. Those are just things.

I used to spend so much time studying for the next step in a fancy career I felt rushed when I even made time for my dad. I'm glad I quit and use those books to prop up a lamp now, and read books I care about instead.

I am indeed bitter about wasted time and people who told me this was the only way to not be an ambitionless loser, a disappointment, just some Aspie who doesn't care about anything and can't contribute.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 1:42 am

Hexen wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I f*****g hate living in an apartment, and I'd love to own my own home some day, but I'm not sure how I'd do it. I don't desire anything extravagant either, just a small place in a quiet area. Hell, a trailer on a small plot of land on the outskirts of town would be just fine by me.

Look into medical technology. It's good pay and much easier to get into than medical school.

That might be a good job for you, but what makes you think that it would be a good job for me?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 1:45 am

^ What do you think would be a good game for you?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 6:41 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
^ What do you think would be a good game for you?

None. I'm pretty much useless when it comes to employment.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 6:52 am

Job I mean. I've been playing my old Game Boy games today. Call it a Freudian slip.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 11:15 am

Judgemental much?

HenryGramer
Raven
Raven

16 Jan 2017, 6:42 pm

Ya know, every generation keeps changing. Product of the times I suppose. For some people, just trying to get by in life is difficult especially when you're always having to always process simple processes of life.

Kudos to you I suppose.

ND score: 131/200
NT score: 58/200

Says I'm Aspie...

Please don't type of paragraphs in response to my questions or replies because that will overwhelm my mind and make me not want to read your responses.

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jan 2017, 4:49 pm

I didn't even know it was that cheap to buy a house

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 7:44 pm

I admire your goals and ambitions and I hope you do well for yourself. A house would be a very nice thing to own. I know that if I ever win the Lotto Max, I'd be moving into a house. I've been looking at a lot of portable houses on the Internet and especially the pod houses. I'm going to make a point to start saving my $$ so that dream of mine could be a reality. Even if it becomes a reality 10 years into the future, at least I could say that I planned and saved for it.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 3:38 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Job I mean. I've been playing my old Game Boy games today. Call it a Freudian slip.

I figured that's what you meant.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 11:16 am

I can see where the OP is coming with this. I cannot believe how the majority of people I knew in my 20s had no desire but to say enough to pay the bar tab that coming weekend. Even in my mid 30s I see very little difference in attitude. Of course, they always seem to have plenty of money to spend downtown. One is almost 60 and acts and dresses just like a teenager.

What's really frustrating is that other people have called me 'lazy and unmotivated' when I have a University Degree, 2 College Certificates and am close to getting 2 more once I complete all the necessary exams and file the paperwork. I never thought in my mid 30s I would have been doing the same job for the same salary for an entire decade. I couldn't live with myself sitting around doing nothing: I even took a break from my career to triple the speed of getting these Certificates and am itching to get back so I can start saving for my wife and (hopefully) child's future and hopefully finally land that big job I have been gunning for too many years to count.

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2017, 5:59 am

It's one of those things I've never had in my life, since very early age - ambition. Absolute zero. I'm happy not owning much and I don't see the point of dedicating my free time to working towards some material stuff. I can see it as a giant character flaw, but I can't even talk myself into wanting things :D I tried!
Why the hell I even got a Master's Degree? I just have a huge desire to know more and that's it. Not to do anything meaningful with that knowledge, I don't care.
I really tried to reason with myself and make myself care, but it's just not working at all. No kind of parental or peer pressure or comparing myself to others worked.

People in their 20s are actually way more driven than me (my NT sister for example) and my friends in their 30s are not only driven but also achieving a lot. Some are just like me though, happy with simple jobs and a predictable day to day life. My parents were like that, so maybe that's it, but it would be silly to blame them in any way.