Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 10:27 pm

post things here that annoy u about your work ( if u have a job) or about looking for a job (if u don't have one).

I will start....
- those times when your whole workday is stuffed up due to the poor planning of people, like when someone waits until the very last minute to give you work that needs doing. -particularly when those people do it regularly.
-those people that act like u don't know how to do something when u do and have done it a lot since u started the job.
-those people that spend all day spreading rumours and basically saying bad stuff about everybody behind their back.
-- those companies that call up and try and trick us into ordering from them. (a common technique is to ring up and pretend to be PB (the company we order stuff from))
-the fact that whenever the database we have plays up, we can't actually do any work because it is linked to every computer program we use, word, email , everything.

Musicprophets
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2011, 1:34 am

putting up with BS from upper management
putting up with BS from teenage coworkers
putting up with BS from customers
being told one thing one day and then the next day its completely different
being told things on a need to know basis when its stuff essential to certain people doing their job
being told your store is closing but the corporate office still expects you to be as good as you were before the closing
being overwhelmed like its a f*****g conspiracy with multiple weird situations coming up at the exact same time
hearing/listening to your boss talk about your coworkers and know that some of it is complete stupid BS
knowing that your boss can actually be a moron at times but its not your place to do anything about it
and last by not least....being told your store is closing even though your store is one of the best stores in the company.

i could go on and on on the minute irritations of the workplace, but that would take a good hour to write it all down.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 6:13 pm

A lot of things annoy me at work. Sometimes I feel like my colleagues are trying to set a new record for being annoying.

Examples of things that annoy me at work:

- Colleagues who have no respect for other people's time. They constantly show up to meetings late. They keep putting things off until the last minute and then come to me when I'm about to walk out of the door to go home and expect me to stay a bit longer to help them with something that has been sitting on their desk all day/week. They waste my time and cause me extra work because they don't organize or prepare themselves or bother doing their job properly.

- Colleagues who constantly interrupt others on purpose. I have colleagues who sing (really badly I might add) annoying tunes all the time and keep whistling or shouting, just to get attention and to annoy others intentionally. They think they're so funny. :roll:

- Colleagues who try to steal the credit for other people's work. It happens too often, but I've stopped letting people get away with it (they certainly keep trying though). I once actually got fired because a colleague had stolen the credit for all my work and I didn't realize it. When it was time for the company to lay off some employees, I was among the first ones they let go despite being the hardest working one in the whole company. After I quit, they noticed that nothing was getting done in that department anymore and they were losing a lot of money, and then they realized that almost all of the work had usually been done by me, so they offered me my job back along with a promotion. Since then I've been more aware of colleagues who try to steal the credit for other people's work or ideas and make sure they can't. It's shockingly common for people to try. :?

- Colleagues who interrupt me with work during my lunch break. We have a small kitchen next to the office and I want to be able to sit there in peace without people constantly coming there to ask me about work or expecting me to go back to my desk to do something for them or take a phone call while I'm on my lunchbreak and in the middle of eating my lunch. 99% of the time it can wait until I'm back from lunch, or could have been done before I went for lunch if other people just organized themselves or showed some respect for other people's time. Unless it's an emergency that can neither wait nor be done by anyone else, don't interrupt my lunch break with work.

- Colleagues from the IT department who assume that I know nothing about computers just because I'm female. They talk down to me and explain things in really simplistic terms, like they think I'm stupid.

- Bullying and exclusion in the workplace.

- Incompetent bosses who are completely clueless about how things work within the company and don't listen to concerns or advice from employees who know the specifics better.

- Horrible sensory environment. I hate having to work in a large, open office space that is shared with dozens of other people, where I can't control my sensory environment. I have to just put up with fluorescent lights stabbing my eyes all day long, a lot of background noise and nauseating smells.

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2011, 10:13 pm

Amik wrote:
- Colleagues who have no respect for other people's time. They constantly show up to meetings late. They keep putting things off until the last minute and then come to me when I'm about to walk out of the door to go home and expect me to stay a bit longer to help them with something that has been sitting on their desk all day/week. They waste my time and cause me extra work because they don't organize or prepare themselves or bother doing their job properly.

Every job place has at least one idiot like that... slacking off means getting triple the work at the end. Worse is if you get LEFT with the work, especially if the coworker is higher in the hierarchy.

- Colleagues from the IT department who assume that I know nothing about computers just because I'm female. They talk down to me and explain things in really simplistic terms, like they think I'm stupid.[/quote]

Hehehe... :D I remember last week after a long bout of problems with the school wi-fi, the IT dept. finally got their fat asses over to some of the classrooms asking about the problems. thing is, i'm in a computer science class and they told us how to do stuff in that same simple way. Plus, most of us are more competent with computers than they were.... to give a hint: they can't even figure out how to block port traffic for WoW (which is the main bandwidth sucker there). It wasn't just annoying, it was downright laughable...

- Bullying and exclusion in the workplace.[/quote]
Aye, some people don't know they're done with high school :)

- Horrible sensory environment. I hate having to work in a large, open office space that is shared with dozens of other people, where I can't control my sensory environment. I have to just put up with fluorescent lights stabbing my eyes all day long, a lot of background noise and nauseating smells.[/quote]

The open office is a living nightmare, especially very large ones. I can live with maybe 10-15 people in one room chattering away on their phones, above that, it can get very hard for me to concentrate on my work... overillumination is also a prevalent problem in many open office/cubicle hell workplaces.

okay, since I don't have a job at the moment, i'll be telling about the problems I had looking for a job (I tend to go for IT jobs).

- Places that require a lifetime of experience (ie. nearly all of them atm.)
- We also have many places in Denmark that go only for the IT people with proper education, usually those also turn out to be the most incompetent. Only if you're 35+ years old, you have hope of getting a job without an IT education. What IT education mostly does here, is teach you how to call Microsoft Support in times of need. The things one learns by NOT calling the support hotline is IMO the things that are needed.
- Work places that don't send an answer to your application. I know many companies don't do this, but IMO they don't seem serious about getting a pair of new hands... just a simple "thanks for trying" kind of letter would be nice and it does make you feel better by knowing that they got your application and at least looked at it.

Aspergers445
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2017, 12:19 pm

I am unemployed at the moment but I have had a job in the past so I will point out some annoying things about being in a job and finding a job.

Five annoying things about being in a job.

1)Being taken for granted
2)Management team not giving me a chance to grow and develop
3)Being singled out because of my ASD
4)Not getting a word of gratitude when I try so hard
5)Being told I am doing this wrong and doing that wrong

And five annoying things about finding a job.

1)Being rejected after telling an employer about your disability
2)Having anxiety when being invited to an interview because they want you to attend so soon
3)Using the phone
4)Mind going blank when asked an interview question for example: Describe your greatest achievement
5)Lack of experience

Well there you go. I am sure a lot of Aspies can relate to that or have probably had worse.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 4:05 pm

Having college graduates who have never worked in your field being your bosses, not cool.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."