best jobs for people with aspergers

Page 12 of 16 [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

eb31
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2010, 11:59 am

I had enjoyed a paper route for the past few years. It was routine and manageable. They recently changed the rules of delivery and with two young kids riding along I just can't hack the change so I had to quit the job. Such a bummer.

I think I would enjoy delivering mail (or papers again when my kids are older and less screamy) or data entry work. I am, an excellent speller and can type very well. I am constantly surprised how many people with good paying office jobs hunt and peck and can not even spell properly - how do they get those jobs?! !

I really REALLY enjoy designing newsletters. I have done them for churches and clubs that I have belonged to but have no idea how I could make a living out of that.

Heliobacter20
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2010, 12:30 am

Doesn't sound like they put a whole lot of research into that. I am in nursing right now and am mostly coping fine, because my relationship with my patients has clearly defined boundaries. I have, however, found that my colleagues have been a bit more difficult to deal with. It has been one hell of a fight to get them to realize that they can't pick on me. Who knows how it will all turn out in the end.
Funny though, I told a nurse I work with who says she was a doctor in her old country that physician was on the suggested list for aspies and she way majorly offended. I, in turn, was pretty disgusted with her.

coconapple
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 May 2010, 12:51 pm

Cleaning people's houses.

Bringing and sorting mail, at a small place, for example, a small university.
Big universities will drive you mad, though.
And you might be able to do it in the morning, before the students get out of bed, so it would be quiet and not too busy.

When my clumsiness wasn't too bad, I enjoyed doing prep work in the morning, at a restaurant, before it opens. Chop veggies, sort meat, stock napkins, condiments, etc etc, you get the idea.

Clean boats at a small family marine shop. Besides the clumsiness, it's not bad at all. You're by yourself in a ocean of boats. LOL. Quiet. Peaceful.

If you have start-up money, and the market is good, buy houses, fix them up, sell, profit.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2010, 10:26 pm

An Idea that would seem to fit would be to learn as many obscure languages, languages with revival or preservation movements, and languages with less literature representation, as you can in written form. While doing that, research and write books. Eventually translate your books into those languages and market at those target audiences. I expect there'd be quite a large number of people who would appreciate new, outside of culture/exotic, texts in their own language.

SonicBB
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2010, 3:17 am

Hi: I'm a night auditor at a hotel.

It's good because where I live, (a smallish rural town where travelers tend to stop for the night and then move on) there isn't a steady stream of customers. I work from 11pm to 7am. After you get over learning to stay up all night, it's really easy on your nerves socially. People come in and don't want a lot of chitchat, they just want to go to bed. When it's closer to morning, a few people might be rushing out early. but the check in rush and checkout rush do not tend to occur on my shift. I get to surf the net, or watch TV or bring in stuff like books or small crafts to keep me busy. I complete the night audit paperwork on the computer between 2 and 3 am every night. The boss likes it done the same way every time. I see coworkers briefly when i clock in and when i clock out. No workplace drama with folks. The bosses like for you to not disturb them at night unless it's an emergency. For a while, I kept my notebook with me with instructions on how to do stuff and lists of stuff that need to be done every night. Now I don't need it because I know it like the back of my hand.

the drawbacks are that it doesn't pay that much. (this may be different if it was a different location I guess.)
I have two kids, and it's getting increasingly difficult to coordinate their care during the day so i can sleep. This would have been my dreamjob before I had kids.
The summer brings more traveling and business. It's still not hard, though, because everybody still pretty much just wants to go to bed. Summer tends to bring out the more rambunctious nighttime characters, and the troublemakers, so you have to be careful. But I tend to be a peoplewatcher any way, so i get to be amused without interacting much.

I know every sound and can tell when something is off at night. Lots loud sounds happen. Sometimes my friend comes to visit and she notices how i don't flinch when the ice machine makes a huge FLOOSH!! sound, but yet i hear a tiny beep down the elevator shaft from the 4th floor and I know some one is coming. I've gotten very tuned to this job.

It's really enjoyalbe. sometimes it gets lonely though. but then i remember some of the other craphole jobs I've had dealing with a lot of drama and stuff, and i appreciate my job better.

still, i am looking to find another daytime job so I can quit nights, because things would be so much easier to handle with my kids and stuff.

cmjust0
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Oct 2010, 4:43 pm

It's almost cliche at this point, but I'm a probable-Aspie software developer. Got into programming in 10th grade and fell in love with the idea of putting cold, hard, unforgiving logic to practical use.

Problem is, IT's going to hell in a handbasket in the US right now. India's cranking out about a million new developers a year, and they work for like $10 per DAY... I can tell you first hand that they're nowhere near as good as US developers, but the sad fact is that a US developer isn't worth 25-times as much as an Indian developer to most US employers -- and that's about what we cost, in comparison. US developers are a dying breed.

Having said that, I'm seriously entertaining the idea of rebooting my life to pursue a veterinary medicine degree. Reason being, I fooled around and bought a little farm and goats (of all things) became a special interest of mine.. Over time, what I've learned is that it's not so much the goats I'm interested in, but *fixing animals*. It's not nearly so cut and dried as computer programming, but a slight empathy deficiency (gotta hurt'em to help'em sometimes) and having a good memory for symptoms, normal vitals, meds and what they're for, dosages, and stuff like that, plus being able to use logic to determine what's going wrong where and why, etc....I really, really enjoy it. More than I enjoy programming at this point.

Who knows, though.. We'll see. :)

spongebob78
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Oct 2010, 6:59 pm

I work for Pilot, a truck stop, and it took me a long time to get use to it and a long time for my boss to get use to me, but this is the only job I have held for a year. My manager understands if it gets too busy and there are too many people to take me out of the situation, and to tell me about any changes to the schedule. Also they helped to find a way to wait on a customer. I am not required to look them in the eyes (which is good) All I have to say is Is that all for you today, their total, and thank you. There is a big counter in between me and I do not have to worry about the person getting to close to me and I do not do small talk, so it works out pretty good for me. Having an understanding boss is worth it all.

Billi

04 Nov 2010, 10:10 pm

I work in a hospital, in engineering, I operate and repair all the equipment and systems it takes too keep the building running. This is one of my interests, so no problem there. I have been at this job 4 years and a different hospital for 3 years before this one. I used to have to work rotating shifts, but I went to school and took a state licenses exam to operate our well and water system. none of my co workers could pass it. My boss is the only other one with a water license. Now I am doing water chemistry everyday, checking machinery at other buildings, and working on paperwork on the computer for my boss. He tells me what needs to be done and by when, but I can do it when and how I want. Often I am just doing things that I see that need doing. I can tbe inside and in the office away from people, listen to music on my headphones, or I can go do some hands on work with another person, or I can go do something else like check the fountains outside. My boss occasionally has me do something that is important and has to be done right now, "drop what you're doing" but most of the time it's more like "when you have time, or when you get done with what you are doing" I create my own projects like figuring out how to use our new PDAs to enter data into my reports directly. There were no raises this year, but I did get promoted, which puts me on a better pay scale, That was for getting my state water treatment license, and taking initiative. I do have problems with co-workers sometimes, I trained three of the shift guys and they have complained that I am trying to tell them what to do, if I point out that they are not doing something right, or even make a suggestion. I have been a supervisor in my last job and the Navy, so they may have a point, but i am trying to help them out. This is where "not getting people" really gets me. In my last job my direct supervisor was inept and was threatened by my knowledge and skills. I was careful to always make it look like everything was his idea, I let him take all the credit. I didn't care. But what I didn't know was he was bad mouthing me to our director who I never dealt with. He pretty much destroyed any credibility I had with him. When my boss got promoted I then had to deal with this director who was hostile towards me, and I didn't know why. Instead of being promoted they eliminated the position above mine, but wanted me to do the work. Someone told me all this after I left. I don't get the politics, I don't like people who don't do their jobs. I like so much about what I do, I just have to accept the fact that most people don't like me. And that i have no idea what peoples motives are, I don't really discuss my life at work, except bicycling (interest) which bores everyone, and I don't have any friends there. Everyone knows I am weird, they tolerate it, and no one bullies me.

THABTO
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Nov 2010, 9:41 pm

My fiance is an Aspie. He reads posts on this site, but has not posted yet. He just started a job at a party place that creates, paints, assembles, delivers & sets up props. Then they go take them down. He gets to utilize his creative nature, does not have to do paperwork or deal directly with customers. His co-workers tell him that he's kind of weird but so far he is doing good. His boss said he needs to pay attention more and try to listen to direction more closely. I hope he has finally found something that works for him.

sharpteeth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2010, 3:04 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Please say geologist, please say geologist!

Tim

:) This answer made me smile.

I tried dentistry and disliked it. Now I am a teacher.

sharpteeth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2010, 3:07 pm

EarlPurple wrote:
What I do want from the workplace is to be given responsibility and not be overly supervised, so I can deliver the way I see fit, and am judged simply by what I deliver.

AMEN!

rf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2010, 12:14 am

Odd as it may sound, I've had fantastic luck working abroad. I happen to be strong with languages, to luck into work overseas early on and to stumble into a management position at a young age. My jobs have been very much people jobs, but they have worked because language and culture barriers very effectively mask social miscues.

This worked so well for me that I never suspected I had issues until I returned to the U.S. at roughly age 50 and began to fail miserably at the job I'd been doing successfully for 30 years.

So, if you have the language bug, interpreter, translator, exchange program coordinator, or even -- in some circumstances -- diplomatic service. (Yeah, it sounds bizarre, but with language barriers, cultural barriers, and scripted protocols for most interactions, it can work really well... Provided there is not a lot of back room political jockeying going on.)

Your mileage may vary.

DiveClimb
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Nov 2010, 8:51 am

Civil Engineer, or geotechnical engineer. The rules for design are very rigid and there is little intereaction with people or customers. Also people expect you to information dump. Engineers are known for being a bit odd. Perhaps that's why so many peopleI id my course with showed traits.

aardwolves
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Nov 2010, 9:54 pm

I do clinical research/laboratory work - it's all fairly quiet, detail-oriented, and rigidly follows protocol and standard operating procedures down to every last detail. Plus, being a bit on the eccentric side seems to be something of a prerequisite - you'd have to be at least a little odd to enjoy becoming an expert in skin flakes and dandruff grading, I suppose. ;)

twiztid_angel

31 Dec 2010, 7:17 pm

i did very well as an office manager and i have seen quite a few people listing themselves as office manager or some other management positions in the "questions to get to know me" thread

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 7:11 pm

This thread is too long for me to skim through but depending on the workplace what about janitor? Heck, I wouldn't mind cleaning up other people's mess at all as long as I have the right tools and cleaning supplies handy with me.